24th Iowa Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Iowa Weapons

To all portraying the 24th Iowa for ITPW. New evidence suggests that the 24th was issued 1853 Enfield rifled muskets at the time frame that we are portraying. The website has the 1861 Springfield as the number 1 choice of longarms. This will eventually be changed but to eliminate any questions I will say now that the Enfield is the preffered longarm to bring. If you have any of the other ones on the list then thats fine to. No one will be excluded for not having an Enfield.
    If you have any questions on this matter please PM me or email me at terry_sorchy@hotmail.com
    Thank You and get those registrations in!
    Cheers
    Terry Sorchy

Re: 24th Iowa Weapons

We are in the process of updating the Federal guidelines at present. I expect that change to be reflected in the very near future.

This primary source quote is helpful and is cited on the webpage. (Thanks to "Holler" for passing this along)

"General Banks commenced his retreat from Alexandria on May 13th [1864] , and on the 22d his army reached Morganza Bend. …

The regiment left Morganza on June 13th, proceeded to Carrollton, La., and went into camp near Greenville Station, on the New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad. Leaving there on the 21st, it was subsequently stationed at Kennerville and Thibodeaux, La., until July 6th , upon which date it proceeded by rail to Algiers, where it received in exchange for the old Enfield rifles with which it had been supplied since taking the field-new Springfield rifles and accouterments."
    From "Historical Sketch" of 24th Iowa V.I., published 1910 by order of the Iowa Assembly

Obviously an Enfield is the preferred weapon for Federals but it is not the only accepted weapon.

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Re: 24th Iowa Weapons

The credit goes to Dan Munson.

It is snowing today here in the Hawkeye state!
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Working...
      X