Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marching Pace?

Hi all,

I'm curious as to the pace set during the daily march during IPW. I'm fit and can rough it with a pack no problem...I'm just curious as to what I should prepare for.

I just got back from 15 miles in 4 hours at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park (with full gear and pack - no musket obviously). Is that kind of preparedness sufficient?

Thanks for the input!
    Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
    Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
    Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
    <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
    <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Re: Marching Pace?

Getting out and walking, having strength in your legs is very important. If you do that a couple of times a week along with walking at least two miles a day you should be good.

Two things to consider:

1. You have to be mentally fit.
    Know that you are going to have bumps, aches and pains. Put those out of your head. At BGR my motivation was that I wanted to make it to the end. I had some nice blisters but I made it. That is my goal for this year. Make it to the end!

2. Blisters can take out even the most fit. Make sure you have some moleskin with you.

You boys in the south have all the luck. We had four days of nice weather and now we are back to winter. We northerners will be a step behind you southern boys. But I wouldn't trade winter in Iowa for anything.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

To get prepared I would also suggest hiking up some hills. I thought I was in shape for BGR, but I was wrong. I learned my lesson and I've been training hard for IPW....considering there are only a couple hills in eastern SD which resemble the hills in Kisatchie. Your muscles will be sore and feet may be blistered, but at the end of BGR when Baker said, "you are iron men of reenacting" all the pain goes a way.
      Grant Wilson

Comment

Jonathon,

If you are going up Kennesaw Mountain with pack at nearly 4 miles an hour, I may reserve the right to ride you like a mule in Kisatchie. :)

Yes, you are training right.
        Joe Smotherman

Comment

Just find the construction material rubble section at the dump and walk over that, and you'll get the general feeling for the nature of the trails. Wait, that was Marmy's....
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Expect a pace of between 2 to 2.5mph average. This will increase on flat ground and decrease on the contour lines. Anticipate covering approximately 7-9 miles per day, accomplished between 7am and 6pm each day.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Deep sand, gumbo clay, and the hill of death loom ahead! March on, it don't mean a thing. Just saying.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
              X