Real Iowan First Person

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Iowan First Person

Being that I am an Iowan and for one week I am going to hear about my home state, please have the correct information. If you are unsure about anything relating to Iowa, or you just have some questions please drop me a line. I don't know every little township and ghost town but I have lived here my whole life and my family was here before the Civil War. Our base impression in the Hairy Nation is that of Iowans so I and the other boys know a little about the state. You could also contact Jake Wickham, Archbald Campbell for information. It is the little things. For example in 2000 at Wilson's Creek there was another group portraying the 1st Iowa. When we asked where they were from they mentioned a town in which did not supply any men for the 1st. We found that very funny.

I know it is late in the game but from Camp Pope Bookstore here in Iowa City you can purchase The Lyon Campaign written by Eugene Ware. This book is excellent about what life was like in Iowa right before the war. It will also come in handy for our living history at Wilson's Creek to be held August 2010. We will portray the 1st Iowa.

Here are a couple of things to help you:
    1. Yes, it snows and its cold in Iowa.

2. No, the state isn't flat like a pancake. We have bluffs in the NE part of the state, rolling hills and woodlands throughout. While we are not Tennessee, we are not Nebraska either. (Sorry Cornhuskers) We do have flat parts but it is not as people think.

Please contact me with any questions.

Once again we real Hawkeyes are proud that Fred and Tom picked an Iowa regiment. It is about time people west of the Mississippi get a little attention.
    Happy in the Land of Cannan!
    Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 02-16-2009, 08:22 PM.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: Real Iowan First Person

I've spent some time in NE Iowa, and I can tell you that the bluffs & rolling hills in that part of the state are a sight to behold, as is that part of the Mississippi.

Something I will always take with me from my time there was talking with the students in Cedar Rapids. They spoke of how you never asked if it rained, but how much it rained. In much the same manner, they knew never to pester their parents during harvest time when their minds were on the market price.

Lastly, life on the farm means that everything is interdependent. If you don't pull your weight, the animals will suffer, so your family will suffer. In like manner, folks watch out for their neighbors, especially over the winter and other hard times.

All in all, it was a different experience for this city/suburban boy, and a good one.
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Rob,
      Even our Sgt Major has been in northeast Iowa. It was early November and we welcomed him with 5 inches of snow!
      Brian Baird
      aka Moses Boxwell, Co F, 24th Iowa

Comment

Spent my share of time in various places in Ioway, and though it's a fine state with good people, I have no particular longing for it. If I am want to ramble, I prefer to go south. And from where I sit in Missouri, Kisatchie is straight south- so there I shall go!
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

hmm, my last post rather besmirched the Hawkeye state, and for that I apologize. At the time I was reminiscing rather unfondly of a month I spent living with my brother in his crummy little basement apartment in Waterloo- many winters ago. Wow- was it ever cold and miserable up there.

The specter of being captured by Iowegians and getting a musket butt where my teeth used to be was also a motivating factor. = )
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
          X