Company D, 28th LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Company D, 28th LA

I think that wild firing, was the Confederate Pickets firing at two of our Officers whom had sneaked up, and laid upon the Confederate works, drawing maps and counting heads. When these two withdrew, they were finally seen, and an intense flurry of shots were fired, hurrying them back to the Federal lines.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb View Post
      Mr. Comer,

I compliment your optimism!
      Just the facts sir, from my perspective. I'm sure your version would be different. :) Short answer is we weren't running around like a bunch of ninnies and there was some method to the madness. I forgot about the event Mr. Hicks mentioned. That did bring those two back into our lines quite quickly!
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

It's a classic example of the confusion that occurs when clashing armies are encamped in close proximity to one another. It seems both our forces launched a 1st Manassas-esque wheeling movement that, if successful, might have resulted in our switching camps. We definately had the Confederate left outflanked and were crossing the creek when we got the order to fall back and reinforce our own left. It seems both our regiments rallied, however, so the settling-down began.

Mr. Comer and Mr. Hicks are correct though, sir. I was at picket post 1 that night when I heard movement to our left. That report got our patrol sent out, which resulted in turn in the ride around the CS camp that night. And we did in fact send out a small group far ahead of our breastworks to catch the southern countersign. Finally, the map story is true as well.

Yeah, I was a lowly private at this event, but I partook firsthand in these actions. And all the stress and drama was worth is just for Silas' 11:00 pm canned bread delivery. :-)
        Jonathan "Scottie" Scott
        Co. A, 104th Illinois Volunteer Infantry
        Salt River Rifles

Upcoming:
        <a href="http://www.fortsanders.info/">Race to Knoxville: April 17-19, 2009</a>
        <a href="http://www.georgiadivision.org/">145th Anniversary Battle of Resaca: May 17-19, 2009</a>

Comment

Yep, that was an interesting night! A few of us spent a good deal of time looking for our wayward patrol that night. Just as we gave up and went to inquire about their capture under a flag (more like an envelope) of truce, the three gents came wandering back in. They'd tramped through the woods around the Rebs' right, gone far around their rear, fired in hope of SOMEONE finding them and pulling them back in, then found a trail that led them back to our camp.

Judging from what I saw on the fire road on Friday morning, they had a pretty good count.

Quite an interesting evening!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

The only time I was really worried about our threatened left was when we finally saw bluecoats coming up the road on our right. Up until this point, the company on the hill had nothing to do but shoot down on the flankers on the left. There was nothing of note going on to their front or right after we withdrew inside our works after the initial probe.

Of course, the idea was that the company on the hill would be attempting to occupy the attention of the Federals until the flank attack begun, which would then alleviate any pressure. This is indeed what happened.
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
            X