This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Into The Piney Woods AAR

Those are some fine recollections there Steve. Thanks for sharing, as I was curious to know how my fellow comrades from California were adapting to the howling Piney Woods of Louisiana.
    [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

I didn't get to really meet Steve until we were leaving on Friday, but I'm glad I did as he is a fine fellow and was kind and gracious enough to return my sleeping cap to me after my own neglect caused me to misplace it.
      Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Splendid Steve, i laughed a lot and i am touched also by reading to you :cry_smile:wink_smil
        William Miconnet
        French Mess
        AES
        BGR & IPW Survivor
        Never ever give up!
        In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
        I believe!

Comment

Wickett and I were looking for our men who wandered off from there patrol. They went off with no hats and canteens???? Anyways...we did get some info from your side however it was sad but we were really looking for the LOST PATROL. Sounds like a movie :wink_smil
          Kiev Thomason
          a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
          WIG
          Armory Guards
          Forest Park Lodge #399
          Forest Park GA.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiev Thomason View Post
            They went off with no hats and canteens????
            No hats - harder to see their soldier profile in the dark

No canteens - quieter and easier to move about, and the white strap is visible

Just a guess :)
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

That's exactly what they were thinking. However, getting lost at night in the Kisatchie could be very dangerous. The big mistake was splitting up... Five men left; two came back. ...kinda like a Louisiana "Thunderdome". ;)

Just as Kiev and I advanced under an "envelope of truce" toward the rebs, "The Lost Patrol" found their way back to camp. The had gone out by our left, split up, and the remaining three plunged through the woods behind the rebs. Completely lost, they fired their muskets in hope of being found. Eventually, they found a road and made their way back into our camp, behind our right. Quite an adventure!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I sent that patrol out and indeed they did leave anything that would make noise behind. They carried cartridges and caps in pockets so as not to have breastplates or anything else that would catch light. Doug is right on the hats - better to blend in with the surroundings.

Anyway, the idea was to probe out to the left a little and see what the Johnnies might have out there if anything - capture a picket if practicable but only be gone about 20 minutes. Best laid plans etc.

I was on that picket line for a long time worrying about those fellows. We needed to know if they were ok so that is why the Confederates were approached to see if they were captured. If so, we were going to get them so stuff to keep them warm etc. If not, then we would worry some more. When they came back in I was certainly relieved.
                Michael Comer
                one of the moderator guys

Comment

As a member of the "Lost Patrol" I figured I would chime in here. Orders came down to have five men go out on the left. Our sergeant had two men stay in a position about 30 yards from the trail, and the remaining three(myself included) went forward about another 50-60 yards. We were fired upon, and retreated through the woods, hitting a trail which ended up taking us behind the Confederate camp. We ended up sitting behind Confederate Camp roughly 50 feet from their horses trying not to be discovered while thinking of a way to get through the picket lines. Ended up coming in near the right flank of our guard reserve. Anyway, in short, we effed up.
                  Chris Suppelsa

Comment

All's well that ends well! I'm just glad you guys found your way back. ...and the intelligence on the Rebs wasn't bad, either! ;)
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Another great report, thanks Steve! I'm pleased to report that Gen. Taylor's Union army was thoroughly repulsed at Mansfield on April 3-4 and again at Pleasant Hill on April 4-5, (It was the 145th anniversary of the battle and was well publicized, lots of spectators). On the way home, Caron and I went to the Cane and Lotus camps, it's still very nice there, even better without rain and cold. Someone with a mule and a horse was camping in the Cane camp, it looked almost like some of you were still there. Then we went to the spot of the second night's camp, with the breastworks. I got some photos there and will post them when they come back from Walgreen's. From reading Steve's description, I didn't go far enough to see the Confederate breastworks so I might have to go back soon. ;-)
                      Carry on ...
                      Hank Van Slyke
                      "Cousin Hank"
                      [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
                      Orange, Texas

Comment

• AAR photos 3 weeks later

Howdy,
                        After the Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill, Caron and I went about 20 miles out of our way to the Kisatchie Woods and looked around. No rain, late afternoon sunshine, things blooming and growing. The first two photos are of the Lotus camp, the rest are at/near the Wednesday evening campsite, with the breastworks. I know now that I should have gone farther up the trail but that will have to wait until next time. ;-)
                        Still have some photo CDs if anyone wants one. Happy April!

One Two Three Four Five Six Seven Eight Nine Ten Eleven Twelve
                        Hank Van Slyke
                        "Cousin Hank"
                        [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
                        Orange, Texas

Comment

Cousin Hank,

Nice photos. Glad that the handywork some of the boys put up still remains. The Yeti may have grabbed some of the larger logs for toothpicks.

Six is a nice image of one of our water sources. Those that missed the event that wondered what we drank- that's it.

Many of the Federals that I was with were wishing they could have another chance to climb the Hill of Death. Next time you are out that way Hank you'll have to take some pictures so the fellers can climb it again virtually!

Regards,
                          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Thanks Hank for posting the photos. It brings back good memories of where I was one month ago and those I shared the experience with.
                            [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

"Many of the Federals that I was with were wishing they could have another chance to climb the Hill of Death. Next time you are out that way Hank you'll have to take some pictures so the fellers can climb it again virtually!"

Virtually being the key word! Unless Fred begins halucinating after drinking heavily from his magic canteen of woe.
                              Tom Yearby
                              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

• Re: AAR photos 3 weeks later

I forgot to include the link to the Lotus camp. The first photo in the dozen above is of the spot where the mighty Ox fell, not that we really want to remember that. I've heard good reports that both Ox and Cornbread are making good recovery. Let's hoist a drink to their health!

Here's the one to the Lotus camp:

Lotus camp

Caron likes the idea of taking a day trip back to the Kisatchie forest, though she will decline to climb the Hill of Death. She will entertain Austen the Wonder Basset until I get back to the car from that. ;-)
                                Last edited by Texasbutternut; 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM. Reason: shpelling
                                Hank Van Slyke
                                "Cousin Hank"
                                Orange, Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X