This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Into The Piney Woods AAR

Well, as I sit here putting off the mounds of homework that have developed due to this event I thought I may put down my account.
    This was my first c/h/p event. To prepare for it I worked out, lost a bunch of weight, bought or borrowed all the gear I needed, and read just about every piece of info on the internet about Piney Woods. I still don't think I was prepared. The intensity of the entire week shocked me. I knew it would be different than events I'd attended in the past but I didn't realize how much so. Little things at mainstream events like going to the faucet to get water became a trek to a creek with your section using what nature provided instead of what the event planners provided. As a private there was no way of knowing what was coming next, whether it be battle or a 5 mile march. Carrying everything you need on your back, and at the same time regretting some of your equiptment choices. Camping for the night where the enemy held you back instead of finding a nice flat open area close to the sutlers. Keeping your head down and just plodding on through the wilderness, watching the feet of the person in front of you and pushing yourself to go on instead of a gingerly walk from a stationary camp to the spectator friendly battlefield. All of this was knew to me, and all of it was loved. I remember at GAC last summer thinking that every other event I did from then on would seem weak because of how awesome the 145th gettysburg was. That has changed. Even though I've enjoyed my last 5 years of mainstream reenacting I'd always felt like there was something missing and that there was something more to the experience of the Civil War soldier than what I had. This event has filled that gap.
    I do have my regrets though. I regret that I wasn't able to relish this experience as much as when I was doing it than when I'm reflecting on it. A few times during the event I would think to myself "wow, this really sucks", mostly compounded in chafing, blisters, dirtyness, wetness, coldness, etc. But when look back on these things, like when I was in the advance guard on wednesday, tired chafed and blistered, it was one of the coolest things I've ever done. I also regret not being smarter. At the beginging the event I looked at the food given to us and decided that I didn't really want to eat it. Well, that caught up with me by thurdsday and I had to drop out part of the march for a few hours and recover. I am glad however that I decided to come back that night instead of the next morning, even if i did almost get hypothermia in the cold and rain.
    I also have many thanks to go out. To Mr. Fred Baker, who has been nothing but a friend to me both on an off the field of reenacting, helping me not only to recover a little bit on Wednesday night, giving me food and encouragement (along with some of his peach cobler) but also helping me in the college decision process. I can never thank you enough for all the help you've given me. To the muleskinners who were also so kind to me on that night, sneaking me some non period food so I could regain my strength. To the McBrides who were so generous and open when helping me and everyone else back at Lotus Camp. To the man of Co. G at Lotus camp who kept me company and with who I was able to relate with terribly. I don't know your name but i'd sure like to learn it. To all the men of Co. F who were such good pards.
    To Brian Baird, who not only lent me shoes, a shirt, and a shelter half, complaining not in the least when I gave them back to him wet and muddy, but who also helped to keep my from hypothermia on Thursday night. To John Scott who lent me a blanket and poncho, again not complaining when I gave it back 5 pounds heavier and dirtier. To all the men of Co. F who I shared that shebang with on Thursday and who showed such a genuine concern for my well being. To Mike Comer who helped me be able to go to this event and who was such an able officer for co F. To Will, Andy, Chris, Frank, and Branden, who were not only kind enough to give me a ride down but who took care of me and taught me so much thoughout the entire trip. I consider you all true friends and sincerly hope to reenact with you in the future. To the Captain of Co. F who helped me stay warm on Thursday, and to the Major who gave me those delicious cookies to get my blood suger up. To Bobo for helping me medically. I'm sure I've forgotten someone but I've rambled on enough
    In short, I loved it. I hope to see you all again at future events, but let me figure out where i'm going to college first before I set anything up. Again, thanks to everyone, and I'll close with the words of Frank aka OW...

"I'm just here to burn your houses, kill your livestock, and rape your women"
    Tim Koenig

Comment

Having just recently returned to CO after a very long drive, I just wanted to type a few lines regarding IPW. Nothing that happened hindered my having a fantastic time at this event. All the hardships I would heartily suffer again in a second (even getting lost on our 'reconnaissance' Wednesday night with two other fellows from Company F- sorry cannot remember names). Thanks to those who worked on putting this together, it was well worth the grueling drive from the Far West. Also, thanks to all NCOs and officers of Company F, 'twas great to serve with/under you. Finally, to all my fellows in the ranks, very nice to become acquainted with you.
      Mark Serour

Horsetooth Mess
      First Sibley Mess
      WIG

Comment

Tom,

You are correct that the walking was less and the food was much better fare than what is typical for us boys here in Texas. Matter of a fact I collected all of the slabs of bacon I could find along the roadside (can't believe how much food was thrown out) and brought it all home to help feed my wife and chilrens, crackers and coffee too.

I appreciate all the work you boys put in to making this event happen. I figure it was my last and will soon start selling my gear soon since no other events could come close to measuring up to this one or BGR.
        Stephen Johns

Save Mansfield

Comment

Gents,
          To have missed this was a crime. Fred and Tom pulled off a great event!

I thought that from the get go this would be one for the books. The planning was great .There were many times along the march that I saw men pull together and get through some things,saw men hungry ,tired ,pissed off and happy. I think those of us who were there were able to peek through the window and see what it was really like...just for a small time. It was worth ever mile to get there and back!

I would like to say a great big thank you to the men off G company .You all were tops...all but BO BO...he takes to long to get his pack on and holds up everyone else!:D no really great job gents! It was a thrill getting to serve as your Lt.
          Kiev Thomason
          a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
          WIG
          Armory Guards
          Forest Park Lodge #399
          Forest Park GA.

Comment

I'd love a chance to do another event with all of them.
            Ditto from Hank on that! He had a great time.

Originally posted by Amos View Post
            I got a ride back to Cane with Hank.
            Just for clarification because I wasn't sure (it didn't sound like my Hank, but...). The guy you went back to Cane with was Hank the water guy, not my Hank :)

Thanks,

Linda.
            Linda Trent
            [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
            It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Linda,
              It was the other Hank, not the Hank
              If I would have know Hank wouldn't be back until Wednesday, I'd have brought him with me.

Chuck "Amos" Reynolds

Comment

"Remember, vote for me in the next election."
                Tom,
                Amos Porter was heading for Texas. Too much excitement in Louisiana. I guess he could always mail a ballot in. :tounge_sm

Chuck "Amos" Reynolds

Comment

Knowing how much work goes into throwing something like this together, I want to thank everyone involved in the planning and execution of this event. It's mind boggling and amazing what it takes to make something like this happen. In spite of the weather, and even because of it, it will be an experience I won't ever forget and can even brag about having been a participant.

I also want to thank my group, the mobile civilians, for the way we came together, everyone with a special set of skills that made it possible for us to manage from day to day, both in travel and evening camp set up. Hank's (Willie) map was a constant source of amusement and help, not to mention his ability to always keep the conversation going. Chuck's (Amos) constant voice of reason and practicality was a source of comfort. Kyle's (Hyram) ability to find firewood and other necessities when it seemed impossible to find them was such a great help. Having Nicolette (Mrs. Mathias) as another women was so important in so many ways that only she and I will know. What an amazing group of people to hang out with!

While we didn't have many interactions with other groups, they were memorable nonetheless. Del was fabulous - just his presence, or lack thereof, gave us a source of conversation and wondering the entire time. Being arrested by the confederates was a hoot - I hope you'll all forgive me for my grumpiness, but I love being cranky. :wink_smil Having to hurry forth because we would look back and see you coming was a strain, in a good way. Meeting the other civilians after 2 days of seeing nobody was a genuine relief - it meant we hadn't been led astray by "the map". :D And dear, sweet, wonderful Mrs. Lawson.....wow! She truly was our Kisatchi angel. When we got into her camp, she handed us a meat pie. I can't even begin to tell you how great that was - just the smell alone was heaven scent, I mean sent!

There were too many cool moments to list. When asked how it all went when I got home, I could only reply - it was interesting. Nobody can really understand except those who were there. Now I can say - been there, done that, got the t-shirt.......where it says Iron Men, I can think "tough chick".

Thanks again to everyone involved. You were amazing!
                  Janet Wragge
                  aka Emma Shahan Crouch - cranky refugee :wink_smil

Comment

You're welcome 'Mrs. Crouch'

And, I'm glad y'all came along. As you noted, this was 'not my first rodeo', --I've been wandering about in National Forests from the age that Mama used a spaniel bird dog to corral me while she hunted. Had some group of folks not come along by 4:00 pm by the look of the light, I was going to leave everything in place, leave a findable note, and take myself and my cane the couple of miles back up the forest service road to the designated civilian parking area, and spend the night in the dry, where I would not be a danger to myself and others. Instead, y'all did come along, and we spent a night in the rain.

As Tom as said much more aptly on another thread--this is why THEY died.
                    Watching 'Amos Porter' walking up that road, with the thin blanket wrapped and trailing behind him, shawl around his head, hat on top of that, tipping his head every 20 yards or so to drain the water from the brim--in that one moment and man, I could see THEM.......

Chuck thought he was okay--while the rest of us saw all the classic symptoms. He did not cease shaking, or become not quite so blue until we had traveled well over a mile And even though I was by far the best equipped in terms of clothing and rest, I knew that my own thought processes were getting muddled.

And while muddled was what I intended to portray, and I offered my standard first-person name of Sarah McGirth, somehow, we had more important needs to address.....

Meanwhile.......probably not more than a half mile down the path.........an addled old lady is totin' a little cart, and reaches the creek where she is supposed to meet her friends and turn towards the big ford and Texas. She's cooked up everything in her pantry and brought it along. Put on her good alpaca dress, and kited it up with two wool petticoats underneath, put on her warm coat, packed her Mama's Bible book in an oilcloth wallet, two heavy blankets , a big piece of oiled sheeting, a little poke of old spanish silver, a small wooden stool, and a few other things..........she's way overloaded, she's turned the cart over a few times in water on the trail, even decided to leave some things beside the road on the way.

She thinks she hears bells ringing, or somebody's put a glass harp in a tree, and decides this makes no sense in the woods, so maybe she better make a fire and take a little nap..........
                    Terre Hood Biederman
                    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

My thanks again to Fred and Tom! You all did a great job with this event and the fact that it ended a day early takes nothing away from the success. Had we tried to "tough it out", I think a lot more folks could have been hurt by the cold.

I lived the life for four nights and three days. I saw all the personalities John Billings writes about and more. I worked hard, walked a lot, got confused, made mistakes, soothed irritated tempers, and irritated others. I laughed a lot, met many, many great folks, and was gone from home long enough to really, really miss my family.

At the halt, I saw fires start so fast, they look like they rose right out of the earth. I saw men fall asleep almost as soon as they hit the ground. I saw companies ordered to camp, erect big shebangs, and gather every stick, stump, and tree of available wood in an amazingly short amount of time. I even saw a bunch of boys from Co. B carrying a telephone-pole-sized tree trunk to be used in their fire! What a site!

I saw some of the worst behaviour I've ever seen at an event. I saw good men place more priority on trinkets and timetables than on the well-being of those placed in their care.

However, I also saw kindness as soldier shared meager rations, coffee, and tobacco with those who had less. I saw teamwork and comraderie as companies made of disparate groups coalesced into efficient teams. I was really moved by the way Company B took care of the hypothermics that wandered into our midst on Thursday night. The Lord never gives us more than we can handle.

I learned a lot how battalions are supposed to be run at events, as well as during the war. The necessary details are many and they fly at you fast and furious. The men and their commanders look at you for every detail from when time to get up to when and from where they'll be fed. You have to keep track of the duties of the companies and the "who's done what" so that no one is unduly burdened or, as in the case of Company G, asked to carry on with no sleep. I'd like to thank Terry Sorchy for this oppotunity and the faith that he placed in me by offering me this position. I hope I didn't let anyone down!

I hope this write-up doesn't sound "negative". The event met my expectations, 110%! I was able to live the life for just a little bit. The life of the Civil War soldier was hard and so was this event. I will carry the memory of this week with me for ever and look forward to the chance to try something like this again in the future.

The only realy "bad" part of the event for me was the ride back to Lotus camp in the back of a pick up truck. At 30-40 miles per hour, the rain hitting my face felt like ice. I was colder and wetter than I'd been at any time during the event. The 10 mile ride felt endless and I was a little worried because our driver got two wheels in the gravel on the shoulder of the road more than once. That ride was Hell.

To anyone I didn't get to greet back at Lotus Camp, my apologies. However, my merry band of Hoosiers needed to get warm, get fed, and get out. I was in no condition to "hang out", though I would have really enjoyed talking more with my friends, old and new, after the event.

Thank you one and all for a truly memorable experience! As I watched my canteen drying on a branch above my deck, I can't believe that it is really already over. Despite some sore feet and the remains of a couple blisters, I barely feel like I've left home at all.
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
                        To the 12 Prisoners we hosted on the Federal side of the lines on Wed. Night, I hope you enjoyed the hot meal, and the pleasant rest all of you got. The offer still stands if any of you would like to take the oath of allegiance to the Federal Govt.
                        Sgt. Major Hicks,
                        After the hot meal and seeing all my friends in company G, 24th Iowa, I was tempted, sorely tempted, to take the Oath. Then again, with four hot-blooded Europeans watching my every move, I was forced to pass.

All in all, I was never prouder in my life than to be a part of Taylors "Foreign Legion", Co. D, 28th Louisiana. Only that pride could overcome the blisters, heat, cold, mud, rain, fever, and general misery that made this event what it was. It was a great experience. Not fun, not even close, but a great experience...

Billy Birney
                        CR's
                        William Birney
                        Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
                        Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

My least favorite part of the whole event was CHARGING through the woods and underbrush into the EMPTY cornfed camp with bayonets FIXED. This reminded me of how officers are not always chosen for their brains and ability to think clearly. Having watched one of my messmates fall and almost impale the man in front of him I promptly disregarded the asinine order to "fix bayonet" and returned my to its leathery home. Seconds later, Mr. 'Sorchy' Smith calling to the adjutant "is there anyone up there" was cause for a good laugh to the men in our company who muttered that if there were then the forward skirmishers were captured and the adjutant would have been shot.
                          ' "... and Jesus wept."

I would like to thank Tom and Fred for the sacrifices that they made to allow this event to happen. I had an experience of a lifetime!

Thank you to Capt. Murray and the men of Co. G for making this event not only possible but enjoyable.

I learned a lot.
                          Last edited by the other nathan; 03-16-2009, 01:12 PM. Reason: added a section to expand on my experiences
                          [U]Nathan Willar[/U]
                          1st MN Vol. Inf.

Comment

Well from a contraband point of view i had a great time...I enjoyed being part of the Col.'s baggage. The French/Brits/Belgian/Scot/Northern Irish/Welsh (i hope i didn’t forget ne1) really were great to hang out with.
                            For my part I was plotting the entire time to get free until I found that I could not trust the civilians, the wagon people, and the some of the Union troops wanted to beat me for the trouble I caused them. Apparently I run faster then I thought I could for on two occasions I out ran Federals and one feds paid dearly for his thinking he could catch Ol’ Lucky Del (he got torn up by thorns in the brush he chased me into, but I came out unscathed).
                            I think one of the two most memorable moments where when we were located at the first camp site on Tuesday. Some of the Brits wanted some milk for their tea, so I went to the civilians located up the road to see if i could find any, but to no avail. I did inquire if they would help me escape. Two of them "supported" my efforts to get to freedom and one woman was on the fence, the other two were agents me joining their band. Sop they turned me away.
                            Being the vengeful and opportunist slave that I was i informed the Col. and the Sheriff that the civilians two who did not welcome me were unionist and wanted me to “runnoft”.
                            Unfortunately they were not shot or hung and I found out later that the civilians that wanted to “help” me intended to sell me up river. And after receiving threats from the civilians and feeling less than trusted by the Rebs I talked it over with one of the French men William and we agreed I should escape.
                            I waited till everyone was sleep and I walked out of camp. I thought I was good until I walked past the picket and after getting a few yards away he decided to challenge me. He called for the Captain of the guard and upon his arrival I informed him I that the snoring by the men was keeping me up and if I was to properly take care of the Col. I need to get a good nights rest. He said he would check with the Col. About my story and after he left I took off running. I was shot at by the picket who had previously stopped me thank God his aim was bad. I couldn’t tell the Fed pickets from the Reb pickets and as I ran up the road I saw the online of a person so I ran the other direction I got within 5 feet of a picket ( I think it was a fed) we both scared each other because we both yelled “shit!” right before he fired at me. I made my way past the last 2 pickets and into Federal lines. I was interrogated by a group of Union offices and informed I was to work with the Commissary for that point on.
                            In the morning as I was riding on the wagon with the commissary the one of the Wagoner’s named Mr. Lightfoot told me he could get me north to freedom but we would have to smuggle me through CS lines in the wagon. I agreed and was loaded into the wagon and covered with hay. Unfortunately the wagon got stuck and CS troops were called it to help unload the wagon to lighten the load. If you had seen the look on their faces when I popped out of the hay…it was priceless. I was take and chained to a tree with my hand tied and guarded by the by the Scotsman (JT) who apparently didn’t like Negros too much because he abused me every chance he got.
                            After a few hours the Col. Was fed up with my shenanigans and freed me. From then on I decided to profit off the war hoping the Union would win, but positioning myself to come out on top no mater who the victor was.
                            By Thursday I became a merchant and trader, smuggling good through the lines to both sides to show my loyalty and to profit of it myself.
                            Unfortunately the event was cut short, but I had a great time and I would like to thank Fred and Tom for putting on the event. You can’t control the weather.
                            The sight of seeing me sharing the little food they had and when the event was called how many men rushed back to pick others up so they would hot have to march back in the rain was a touching experience that reminded me that this hobby is in a way a fraternal organization and we all go out of our way to help or fellow redactors out in tomes of need.
                            Marvin Greer
                            Snake Nation Disciples

"Now bounce the Bullies!" -- Lt. David Cornwell 9th Louisiana Colored Troops, Battle of Milliken's Bend.

sigpic

Comment

Hey Marvin/Del,

Chaining you to a tree and tying you up and beating you was all in first person,i,m glad it worked and you believed it to be true .

I,ll never forget you climbing out of the bogged down wagon all covered in straw ,it was totally unexpected when it happened.

See y,all at Bummers ,and i won,t be beating you as i will be too busy burning down Georgia.

Cheers,

J.T.
                              Jason Tailford

Liberty Rifles

LazyJacks Mess.

Comment

Nathan,
                                That scenario did not play out the way it was supposed to and it was a blunder. My apologies to all. The way it was supposed to come off was Company B was supposed to act as skirmishers then retire back to the line not go through the works. We were not supposed to know that the rebs had abandoned the works and were to go up in a column of company's. Then we were to go on the right into line. That maneuver did not come off either. If it had then your company would not have gone through any underbrush and it may have been more memorable. Remember one thing before you criticize others. The men that were staff worked there butts off to organize your week long event.
                                We helped with the rations, helped with organization, tried to make viable scenarios, hell I spent 500.00 out of pocket for the battalion. Sorry for not having everything that was supposed to happen without a hitch, happen.
                                I tried. I dont appreciate cat calls and smirks and sarcasm though. If you would like the job it is yours.
                                I am burnt out.
                                Terry Sorchy

Comment

Working...
                                X