Just Thinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just thinking

Thanks Tom! And my friends french too, hi hope :)
    That confirms my thought, I am a citizen of the world ;)
    William Miconnet
    French Mess
    AES
    BGR & IPW Survivor
    Never ever give up!
    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
    I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by Steven B View Post
      Hey Jordy, I'll bet the Cav don't look to bad now does it Pard. God luck with the rodeo and stay safe.
      On behalf of the Buttermilk Rangers, I'd like to thank all of the Lazy Jacks for taking Jordy in under your wings this past week. As a teacher, it was my intention for him to get the best education possible and I sure think he accomplished that by serving with you. I know he was a fresh fish and barely knew how to tie his shoes, much less hike his traps or fire his weapon (I still don't think he mastered that part), but I do know he's a good kid. It's a very big deal to take a farm kid like him who's never been out of east Louisiana and put him in with a bunch of guys from all over Europe.

I appreciate all of your patience with him. He still hasn't quit talking about you guys. Two weeks ago he would have been doing well to locate the UK on a map. Now he's telling us the difference in Scotland, Wales and Ireland while speaking the Queen's English with a French accent.

And, while I'm on the subject, I also wanted to thank you for the realism you brought to portraying troops from my home state. It was awesome to hear French spoken on a regular basis. To the untrained ear, I could barely tell a difference in the accents from the Cajun French that I'm accustomed to hearing. The accents from around the UK were awesome as well. So many of our troops here were foreign born and especially well represented in our ranks were the brits, scots, welsh and irish.

I regret that my duties commanding the cavalry didn't allow me the time to just hang out and chat. Many of my own ancestors in the war were first generation Americans from Ireland, Wales and Scotland. I'd like to learn more about the lands of my ancestors. Too bad I missed a golden opportunity to do so. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Laissez le bon temps roullez,
      Larry Morgan
      Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

Larry,

I want to compliment you horse soldiers on the job you did. You were very pesty and I got tired of seeing you through the trees whenever some firing broke out. But you all were doing what cav should do, slow us down and make us deploy while giving time for the infantry to get more distance between us.

From what I saw from the Federal side, I thought you boys did a good job.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael,

You are right that our cav did an excellent job! Due to the fact that they probably spent almost as much time being closer to y'all than us, we really didn't get the chance to appreciate them as much as we should have.

Larry,

You and your men did outstanding work. We never had to worry about what to do with your men or how to best employ them. You and a very few men filled a rather large task and did it very well.
          Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Thanks, guys, we take our job pretty seriously. It was my intention from the moment we stepped out of Cane Camp Tuesday morning to try and delay the Feds as much as possible in order to buy our Infantry some time. I also had probes out on the Federal flanks from time to time, trying to get an accurate read on numbers. The Federal flankers and skirmishers did a pretty good job screening the main body. It wasn't until Wednesday afternoon that I was able to get scouts in close enough undetected to get a fairly accurate count.

I'm proud to have served with you all and I hope you give us the opportunity to do so again in the future.
            Larry Morgan
            Buttermilk Rangers

Comment

I didn't have the pleasure of attending this even but upon reading about it, it fortified the realization of just how crazy we reenactors are. Most people who engage in hobbies do little things that make them happy such as collecting, model trains, drawing or other such things. But we are a part of something that is so amazing.....that there are times when it makes us truly miserable, yet we return time and time again eager to suffer. I think everyone will agree that campaign reenactors are among the most passionate people one can ever come across. I also think that our ancestors would be proud to know that we remember them, and honor them in such a way. I've been reenacting for fourteen years, and will continue to do so until I am unable. And I wouldn't trade a miserable night huddled by the campfire with my comrades for anything else in the world.

J. Hicks
              37th Tennessee
              J. Hicks
              37th Tennessee Infantry Co. H

Comment

I was just thinking about becoming a partisan so I can tote a shotgun, skip picket duty and pee in the creek upstream from the yankees.....like Rebel officers do.
                Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                Terry Pratchett

Comment

That sugary urine made the water sweeter and provided balance for the rooster scat on the serving utensils and in the mess kettles. Some of the younger fellows thought the "frosted" hardtack was a nice touch, as well.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

dang- after hearing some of Charles' culinary secrets revealed, I realize we were better off with our tried and true individual messes in the Confederate battalion! We got along really fine with our bacon and whatever else was offered. And sharing cooking duties around a small fire is good fellowship time. The chicken was a treat, although one bird for a company makes for a small portion. But we all pulled together. Like our Captain Tucker said, it's amazing how little a person can truly get along without. That was just one of the lessons learned in the Piney Woods.

Dan Hadley
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I meant to say it's amazing how MUCH a person can get along without!

Dan Hadley
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hadley View Post
                        And sharing cooking duties around a small fire is good fellowship time. The chicken was a treat, although one bird for a company makes for a small portion. But we all pulled together. Dan Hadley

I completely agree Dan. Company G worked quite efficiently within their messes when it came to cooking rations and that chicken was a welcomed addition to our meal that evening.
                        [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Thank you Tom, Fred and all responsible for putting on this event. It was the greatest event I've ever been to.

Thank you to the men of company G for being so friendly and able to bond with. You all helped me through the "Longest Night" of my life. And to echo my pard Russ "the Kisatchie and Men of Company G we always be with me."
                          Andy Mouradian
                          JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

If this was real, we would have pushed on with the cart forward at the hard road. I did however accomplish my goals, but it changed from getting my family safely to Texas, to spending 2 hours at the Natchitoches ER with Shawnra Green. I also realize I would have been going with what ever Army found me first in the real war. I could also hear the argument with Sister Bertie of what to toss from the cart to lighten the load.
                            When I saw Barb and Shawnra evacuating in the pick- up my last thought was how cold, wet and miserable I was. The truth is I had never been happier.
                            Andrew Grim
                            The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
                            x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
                            Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Russ, Dan, Andy,and Justin, It was great to have meet you fellas from the left coast. We had a great time and made really great memories for me. Especially on Thursday night and the wee hours of Friday. I`ll never forget you guys. We would have never met if Tom and Fred had not brain childed this event. Thanks Tom, and Fred because of you fellas I made great friends. Also, there ain`t know better way to fry chicken except in good ole bacon grease! One other thing men, we will always be the Men of Company G taking the lead! No one can ever take that from us!

Larry Young
                              Larry Young
                              Deo Volente

DeQuincy F&AM #279 PM
                              Pelican Civil War Lodge F&AM #1861

"ITPW" Survivor"
                              Proud member of "The Independent Rifles"

11th TVI
                              "Swamp Angels Mess"
                              Proud decendant of Freeman Hughes 33rd Ark Co. G
                              John McGowan 19th Ark Co.K (Dockerys)
                              D.R. Booth 3rd Ark Co.G Three CReeks Rifles

Comment

Touching, Mr. Yearby, to think that people really actually endured such hardships and suffered like that to make this nation as great as it is today. Sad as well to have an appreciation of the very real fact that Americans killed fellow Americans in such merciless fashion too.

We might kid and have fun doing our hobby... but every time I do an event, I gain a fresher perspective from what I experienced on what sufferings our forefathers went through. I say a prayer for their souls and pray that they look at our meager undertaking this past week as a deep compliment and rememberance to what they really did.

Lord, please bless and give rest to those soldiers' and civilians' souls, both blue and grey, slave and free... THEY are the true heroes to us all today.

-Johnny Lloyd
                                Johnny Lloyd
                                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                                SCAR
                                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                                X