Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piney Pics

All:

If you didn't have a camera at the event (like me) ... how about a place like this thread where we can consolidate ALL images from the event?

Let's share... ;)

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Here's the image of Co. G, 24th Iowa. Taken before everybody left for home.

Keith Kosek

1st Minn, Co. A

http://www.firstminnesota.org/

“The beautiful thing about the truth is, the truth requires your questions. Therefore, there is no competition in art.” - Gary Busey

Comment

Re: Piney Pics

Howdy all,
      Cousin Hank here. I got about seven rolls of film from the event, mostly before, after and at water stations, some in base camp. Wednesday afternoon I walked to the wagon camp and got a few photos of the attack on the Federal camp. It was hard to keep the camera out of sight and I hope I didn't offend anyone with it; ITPW is a serious event and I tried to respect it as best I could.
      The rain has finally stopped and it'll take a day to dry out. I'm only three hours from the Kisatchie Forest, maybe I can go back and hunt for lost items soon.
      Until it dries out I can't do any house painting so today I'll be working on organizing my photos. I'll post some of the better ones here. I'll put all of them on a CD and send it to anyone who wants one. No guarantees of picture quality, but most came out pretty good. Send me your mailing address at chevelle@flatfenders.com and I'll get a disc to you. Please don't try to offer money.
      I kind of wish I could have recorded the sound of everyone singing on Friday morning as you were marching on 360 toward the main road. That was inspiring. In great old movies they save the best soundtrack for the closing moments, the kind that makes your eyes tear up and you have to stifle some sobs. Yeah, it was like that Friday morning.
      Here's one photo of the Wednesday camp, if I did the attachment process correctly...
      Attached Files
      Hank Van Slyke
      "Cousin Hank"
      [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
      Orange, Texas

Comment

Hank,

A very gracious offer!

The pic you posted features me and Mr. Heath. We had just combed out our beards into the mess kettle intended for the captured CS boys brought in during the Jackson-esq flanking assault.

Regards,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

C°A just monday, just before the great "Rain" adventure :) :) :)

William Miconnet
          French Mess
          AES
          BGR & IPW Survivor
          Never ever give up!
          In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
          I believe!

Comment

We had just combed out our beards into the mess kettle intended for the captured CS boys ...
            Fred, now don't telling people the sacred ingredients in my favorite cabbage soup. Those prisoners ate the leftover officer rations as if said victuals were hot, tasty, and filling. Meanwhile the officers were scratching around in a box of hardtack crumbles and uttering unkind phrases. I came quite close to taking the Oath of Secession and jining up with the States Rights crew for a wee bit there. Thanks for the use of the lice comb.

If I'm not mistaken McWeeWee went for thirds on that soup.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles,

I rode home with young Matt Burr, one of the Secesh troops hauled in during the fight in the woods.

He appreciated the meal greatly and the coffee too. Shangaloo Harla managed to smuggle in whiskey as a captive and between the vat of coffee and the corn liquor, the boys were up pissing about every half an hour all through the night. Smashed together as they were there was constant cussing as men stepped on each other and then had to beg for permission to use the bushes from Native and his tribe who were posted as guards.

I personally thought that cabbage soup was the best. The spit pea was fine too.
              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

No, no, not me, only two french, La Plume and Régis, and Lazy comrade's part too ;)
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

Fred,

Simple foods such as cabbage or pea soup go well on cool, wet, days. Both are easy to prepare and cost little. Pea soup has lost favor in modern times, which is a shame. We'd used the carrots in the cabbage soup (actually the mules got a treat, but you know how that goes) so the "mystery vegetable" in the pea soup was a handful of chopped dried apple rings. I was looking forward to the bacon and tomatoes over rice on Friday night. I laid the leftover bacon out for the teamsters. They also received the coffee and sugar one of the companies didn't draw.

As for me, the big chunks of surprisingly tender beef boiled in vinegar, salt, and pepper were mighty fine for the first two days. Some beef, a hard cracker, and a cup of scalding hot coffee is a mighty fine meal. Even Uncle Tom had a little something to eat at the Cafe du Yeti.

None of the companies signed out the coffee grinder. Oy!
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Charles,

Maybe we didn't "sign out" the grinder, but I know I had coffee in my pot that was ground.

The pea soup Thursday night saved many a man in Company G. The kettle of coffee may have actually kept us from dying. It gaves us the energy to erect shelter and gather more firewood. The whiskey Friday morning revived us.
                    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Joe,

Caleb Horton patiently ground enough coffee in Lotus Camp for the ever expanding officers mess, and one standard three company issue of hot coffee. Most folks know when it starts raining that kettles of hot coffee isn't far behind. As Rob Willis used to say: "this is a good idea." We placed the coffee grinder in storage inside the "little green barn" at Lotus Camp after Monday evening. That euphemism was our code for Will Tatum's Subaru wagon. Nice car.

We had federal officers who were unable to find their own food, but, as Mrs. Lawson reminded me, we encountered the same situation during At High Tide last summer. This simply set up some good eating for other folks. I considered making some "hot cat piss" aka "old panther piss" in the wee hours of Friday morning. The fires were still going, and it would have been entirely possible to do so. Most folks won't drink it, as they don't normally associate a hot amber liquid with much of anything good. The boys got by without it, but the makings were on-hand had the weather turned much worse.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                        The pea soup Thursday night saved many a man in Company G. The kettle of coffee may have actually kept us from dying. It gaves us the energy to erect shelter and gather more firewood.
                        Joe,

Hey now... It was my wheelin' and dealin' with Charles, plus the promise of cleaning/returning the kettle by Co G. that got us fed well that night. Otherwise, it might have gone to some other 'ne'r do wells'.

Hey, even when our last bacon ration yielded about 5 pieces left over, the Cornfed prisoners ate well from it too. When I gave it to the "Foreign Legion" prisoners and Mr. Billy Birney, they nearly ate my hand. Yikes!

See, get to know (and help) the supply guy and Army living is easier! Don't abuse or misuse the Quartermaster...

All the best- Johnny Lloyd
                        3rd Sgt. Co G, 24th Iowa :wink_smil
                        Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-16-2009, 07:02 PM.
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

Hush, now. Some folks might suspect one CR giving another CR too much bacon so the CR in the prisoner holding area being guarded by at least one other CR could have some perfect porcine production to peruse is somehow a strange and bizarre Company G conspiracy. Billy doesn't eat that much anyway, but you already knew that.

We just about had a modern battalion S-4 shop operating on Civil War time with Food Service, Maintenance, Transportation, and Supply all rolled up into one small pod. I had already considered Michael Comer as the surveying officer for the stolen equipment, and, by the way, you owe me a completed Form 4. Just kidding, as I've already tossed the completed Forms 13 and 14, as well. Who says you can't do staff work at a campaign (or higher) event?
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

The three Hoosiers standing by crude brestworks in front of "Frank's Knoll".

Also put the pic of the Lumberjack Company (B) hard at work on Thursday eve.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by boozie; 03-16-2009, 07:00 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Grandad Wm. David Lee
                            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Mr Lloyd and Mr Heath,

Gentlemen, the magnificent munificence of the Federal Commissary Department nearly caused a riot when us captured Cornfeds were exchanged the following morning.

A quick comparison of the Yankee issued bacon with its' acres of lean meat as opposed to the extraordinarily meat-bereft Confederate issued bacon caused a firper moaning and groaning of quite spectacular proportions as we set off on march again.

A cunning Yankee trick? I like to think so, but that Yankee bacon fed five men on Thursday night, so I like to think it backfired....
                              Chris O'Brien

Scalawag Mess
                              Volunteer Company
                              [URL="http://www.aesoc.org"]American Eagle Society[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X