Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Company G.

Men of Company G,

You are the best! You came together during the first day. A rare feat. That is a testament to you and your NCO's. In trying circumstances, you sucked it up and
    showed the rest of the hobby what being a company is all about.

Not everything was perfect or went accrording to plan, but I was left with a
    small understanding of what a CW soldier went through in his daily life. I
    think this is what the organizers wanted us to take away from the event.

Now, for some specicial thanks. To Joe Smotherman for the company letters and
    numbers as well as pre event commo. To Charles Heath for the pre event commo and stuff that he purchased for the company that was never issed because the event
    was rained out. Todd Bemis for his work on the maill call. And last but not
    least to Bobo, for taking the lead in the Medical Dept. I salute you. You took
    some good natured ribbing and squabbling BUT you were the reason some folks were able to stay in the game. I count myself as one of them.

I thank each and everyone of you for the sacrifices you made in your lives to be
    a member of Company G, and I look forward to seeing each and everyone of you on
    the field at some later date.

I now publish the Roster of Company G, 24th Iowa, so that people may know the names of the hardy souls that revised it for 4 days. I hope we made right by them.
    1st Lt. Kiev Thomason
    1st Serg't Joe Smotherman
    2nd Serg't Joe Beedle
    3rd Serg't Johnny Lloydd
    Corp'l Herb Coats
    Corp'l Kevin Ganz
    Corp'l Tim Kirk
    Corp'l Dan "Bobo" Williams
    and Nathan Willar when one of the Corp'ls went to the hospital.
    Privates
    Todd Bemis
    James Cassell
    Caleb Horton
    Bob Hutton
    Tom "Cornbread" Key
    Keith Kosek
    Robert Martin
    Joshua Mason
    Clint McKissack
    Dave Peterson
    Lewis Robinson
    Jordan Roberts
    Max Whittley
    Grant Wilson
    Shelly Wright
    Charles Heath Commisary
    Will Tatum Commisary
    Rob Carter Color Serg't
    Pete Berezuk Color Corp'l

Rob Murray
    late Captain
    Co. G, 24th Iowa
    Last edited by Rob Murray; 03-18-2009, 08:08 AM. Reason: Took out bad link
    Rob Murray

Re: Thank you Company G.

Gents of Company G:
    It was a pleasure to get to know you last week! You all carried yourselves well, serving above and beyond with your duties as pickets and prison guards on Wednesday night. I know you were all short of sleep, but you did a great job.

It was great to meet you, Mr. Murray! You are the very picture of a company commander from the upper midwest! My thanks to Kiev for your comradery and help finding "The Lost Patrol". Johnny Lloyd, it was great to finally meet you and I really enjoyed your singing! I'm sorry it had to end so soon.

Bobo, a special thanks to you for your work as EMT for the battalion. Your expertise was invaluable on Thursday night with the hypothermia cases. I know we all felt a lot better once you had the situation in-hand.

Well done, fellers!
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Re: Thank you Company G.

Boys,

Now that the dust has settled, the mud has dried, and the fire ant bites on Rob Carter's leg have subsided somewhat, this may be a good time to reflect for a moment on the actual original cast of Company G, 24th Iowa. Although posted elsewhere on forums, and sent as part of the excellent company level pre-event communications, this is worth reading again:

Company G, 24th Iowa Volunteer Infantry

Company was raised in August, 1862. A total of 112 officers and men served in the Company. Only 52 were mustered out.

The men of Company G, were born in 17 different states and 5 foreign countries. The top five states of birth were Ohio, 30 (27%); Pennsylvania, 26 (23%); New York 12 (11%); Indiana and Iowa 6 each (5%). The age of the men at enlistment ranged from 15 -49; 20% in their teens, 51% in their 20’s, 24% in their 30’s and 5% over 40.

The war time fate of the men of Company G as follows:
      Killed in Action: 10 (9%)
      Died of Disease or wounds: 23 (20%)
      Wounded: 24 (20%)
      POW: 9 (8%)
      Died while POW: 2
      Discharged for Disability: 11 (10%)
      Transferred to VRC: 5
      Promoted out of Company: 2

Worst single day for the company and regiment was May 16, 1863 the Battle of Champion’s Hill, Mississippi during the Vicksburg Campaign. The regiment lost 43 Killed in Action, 104 Wounded and 7 POW. At Mansfield, Louisiana on April 8, 1864 the five company battalion of the 24th Iowa lost 1 killed, 17 wounded and 19 POW’s.

Company Officers:

Captain William W. Smith 10.1.1862
      1st Lieutenant Jared M. Hord 7.28.1863
      2nd Lieutenant James H. Smouse 12.29.1862

1st Sgt. John Lynes 5.23.1863
      1st Sgt. Loren Boggs 4.5.1864

2nd Sgt. Elijah Upton 7.1.1863
      2nd Sgt. Loren Boggs 10.13.1863
      2nd Sgt. Willis Vance 4.5.1864

3rd Sgt. Charles F. Phares 7.1.1863
      4th Sgt. James Morrison 7.1.1863

Drummer William W. Byan
      Fifer Charles W. Rickard
      Just a snapshot, and something by which we can remember the original cast. A few of us dropped by the Iowa monument at Vicksburg whilst on our way home to pay our respects.

Joe, I hope this doesn't fall into the realm of those dreaded DSPs.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Working...
      X