Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thank You, Company G, 28th LA, For These Things...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You, Company G, 28th LA, For These Things...

I am not normally one to put out a 'rah rah', thank you post. But given what has transpired, I do wish to thank each and every one of you for your contributions, preparations and performance, from the Captain down to each private.

I was extremely impressed by all of you at this event. You were extremely well-prepared, brought an attitude without an ounce of selfishness and performed like a company which had been together for years. I don't say these things lightly to stroke your ego or as some hollow platitudes. I could not believe how quickly you all came together.

Your impressions were excellent. You packed accordingly, you packed light, and did your homework. You looked like poor farmers from Winn Parish.

You stepped up when there was a need. You unloaded wagons and carried their contents up steap, rutted hills. You pulled wagons up hills without the oxen. You carried bales of hay a half mile for the oxen.

You forecasted the weather the old fashioned way. Aching knees and watering eyes.

It seemed there was nothing you would not do if asked. Orders and requests, were carried out rapidly, without question. You came to the aid of others, even though they were not in your company.

You sewed buttons on a pard's trows. The pard still wearing them. Both shivering and standing in the rain.

You persevered; moving rapidly up the hills, through the heat, through the rain, through the humidity, through the cold. You manned the works in the rain when others built shelters. You never lost a man. You never straggled.

You never complained. You shared everything you had, from snuff, sugar or even your chicken when it produced literally only a mere bite for each man. The effort was appreciated by all and the mere morsel was savored beyond explanation.

I thank you for all you did which made this company and this event special for me.

Very Best Regards
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Re: Thank You, Company G, 28th LA, For These Things...

Jay
    I had a great time with you guys and look forward to falling in with you again.
    I was amazed to find that only a few of you had been together before.
    You are right the whole company performed as though they had been together for ever.

special Thanks to Tater and Dustin for sharing your fire and conversation on Thursday night.

Pards,
    Russ Stanley
    Russell L. Stanley
    Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
    Co.A 45th Mississippi
    Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
    Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Those in the Jaybird Mess feel extremely honored and proud to have served with the fine bunch of Lads in Company G.

This was by far the best event I have ever attended and most challanging at times as well (especially the weeping & soggy THURSDAY NIGHT!). Great memories were produced from IPW and I want to thank every comrade in Co. G for this experience and commend them as well for the fine soldiering they did.

When we meet again....... the Jaybirds will pass around the snuff for all to enjoy!
      [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

I echo my fellow Jaybirds and that we feel extremely honored and proud to have served with the fine bunch of Lads in Company G.

It's amazing how well the company came together. I thought you all had been together before and we California boys were the outsiders coming in.

I really look forward to falling in with you all again. I had the best time of my life and will cherish it forever.

I also have special thanks to Dustin, Larry and Captain Tucker for sharing a spot next to your fire. It made the difference in getting me through "The Longest Night" of my life.
        Andy Mouradian
        JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Jay,
          thanks for the rah-rah I appreciate it and Co. "G" deserves it. "G" Company definately had their attitude right and their heads squared firmly between their shoulders. As this was my first truly "authentic event" I was not sure what to expect. I never had a doubt if I could make it or not. The only way I would not have been able to finish would be an injury. But once I met you fellas and seen the caliber men that you are, then I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was going to make it and I was going to do everything possible to make sure that everyone from Captain Tucker down to the lowest Private would make it. Even though all of us was in a bad fix on Friday morning if Col. Walker had told us we needed to finish the march back to Cane Camp, I know everyone of us would have formed up in the ranks and made that march without uttering a complaint. The reason I know this is because of the caliber of men each and everyone of you are. The men of Company "G" are truly "Iron Men of Kisatchie"!

Russ, Dan and Andy, it was my pleasure! I was glad to have obliged! there was once though, and I know Andy remembers that I got afraid that we were going to lose our fire due to the heavy rain. But as luck would have it the fire caught back up. It was close though! Jaybird Mess is a great bunch of guys and great friends.

Jay, I hope them fellas from the left coast ain`t got you hooked. I did happen to over hear something about he would sure make a good mule... I`m not sure what they meant though. Your ears ain`t near as long nor is your snout, and I don`t think your that strong even though your wirery......
          Larry Young
          Deo Volente

DeQuincy F&AM #279 PM
          Pelican Civil War Lodge F&AM #1861

"ITPW" Survivor"
          Proud member of "The Independent Rifles"

11th TVI
          "Swamp Angels Mess"
          Proud decendant of Freeman Hughes 33rd Ark Co. G
          John McGowan 19th Ark Co.K (Dockerys)
          D.R. Booth 3rd Ark Co.G Three CReeks Rifles

Comment

I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with Co. G, and was quite impressed all around. On the march, you men were very conscious of your duties as the advanced or rear guard, and the NCO's, including and especially you, Jay, were quite alert and actively making sure those duties were performed properly.

I was especially proud of y'all on Wednesday and Thursday. Wednesday, you fought a very pretty delaying action at the creek, and then were skirmishing with the enemy for what seemed like all day long. Co. G was well-directed and aggressive, even in defense. The next morning, y'all hauled the wagon up the hills, unloading and reloading it twice and even pulling it up one hill when the ox team was unhitched. Thankfully, I arrived in time to relay an order for y'all to wait for the rest of the battalion to finish fighting a small delaying action, otherwise y'all would have marched through a valley to get in the action! Just after this, y'all marched with such enthusiasm, I thought we'd lost y'all down the trail! The spirits of Co. G were only stirred by marching and fooling with the wagon.

Finally, I was impressed with Co. G's fire during the long, cold night. That half-burned up pine tree really put off the heat! I know there's a debate raging on what order to put on cotton and wool shirts, but at least one of y'all and probably more weren't wearing a thread of wool clothing at IPW.

Well done, Company G.

Formerly Major, 28th Louisiana recreated,
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Jay, and others from Tucker's Co., great comments- I just gotta chime in as well. All the fellows in Co. G worked, marched, cooked, fought and slept together like they had been together as brothers and comrades in arms for a long time. I guess that's what happens when you have like minded individuals who join forces together, and know they must count on each other. No flummery or yammering about this or that- we all just did what we needed to do, knowing we could rely on the comrade on either side of us to pitch in. Nary a whimper or whine did I hear, from the beginning to the bitter end. Like Larry (Tater) said, if the Colonel had ordered us on, we would have all answered the call and marched on with a cheer. Not a single man fell out of Tucker's Company. I would like to believe that we were all inspired by the presence of the original men of the Co. G, 28th Louisiana, whose spirits might have been roused by hearing us tramping through those piney woods.
              Dan Hadley
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

...there was once though, and I know Andy remembers that I got afraid that we were going to lose our fire due to the heavy rain. But as luck would have it the fire caught back up. It was close though! ...
                Larry,
                Yeah we almost did loose that fire but with luck the rain let up some and allowed the fire to come back alive. I mentioned to Justin that little things kind of fell in place along the whole march as if we were being looked after. The fire was one of those little things. I kind of like to think the original men of the Co. G, 28th Louisiana were looking after us.
                Andy Mouradian
                JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

For all you that I now call friends, it has been a sincere pleasure. While I've tried to be as progressive as possible, this was my first hardcore campaigner event. I'll tell you, I'm hooked.

When people ask me what I did on vacation, there is no way I can explain to them the comeraderie, the companionship, and the friendships that misery will forge. I simply tell them that "it was miserable...some of the best fun I've ever had".

To Jay, thanks for finding and opening in the ranks. To all the rest, thanks for a great time. I look forward to finding you in the ranks once a again. I'm stoked for Bummers if all works out, Generals.

Clay Goser

Comment

It was one hell of a company, and the most cooperative group of smartasses an Orderly could ask for. I never got around to handing in the morning report on the last day, as I wanted to keep the piece of paper for myself as proof that we may have been the only company to not only not lose a single person the whole event, but actually GAIN a man on Thursday.

-Craig Schneider
                    Craig Schneider

Comment

Clay,
                      It was an honor to have met you and to have been in the same company as you. After we parted ways on Friday I hated that i didn`t get to say my goodbyes to you as the weather was pretty crappy by then. You are a great guy and a good friend.

Craig,

It was an honor to be in the ranks next to you. You`re a hell of a 1st. Great to have met you, hope to see you again one day.

Larry Young
                      Larry Young
                      Deo Volente

DeQuincy F&AM #279 PM
                      Pelican Civil War Lodge F&AM #1861

"ITPW" Survivor"
                      Proud member of "The Independent Rifles"

11th TVI
                      "Swamp Angels Mess"
                      Proud decendant of Freeman Hughes 33rd Ark Co. G
                      John McGowan 19th Ark Co.K (Dockerys)
                      D.R. Booth 3rd Ark Co.G Three CReeks Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by cgoser View Post
                        "it was miserable...some of the best fun I've ever had".
                        Clay Goser
                        Yeah.....wasn't that just great stuff General! Although you might have been in the 2nd Platoon of Co. G and I in the 1st, we certainly made Capt. Tucker proud of us Lads.

Craig- You did one hell of a job as 1st Sgt. in keeping control of all the "Generals" in Co. G. It was good meeting you and as Tater said, may our paths cross again.
                        [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb View Post
                          I know there's a debate raging on what order to put on cotton and wool shirts, but at least one of y'all and probably more weren't wearing a thread of wool clothing at IPW.

Well done, Company G.

Formerly Major, 28th Louisiana recreated,
                          Cotton was a poor choice
                          Russell L. Stanley
                          Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
                          Co.A 45th Mississippi
                          Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
                          Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Well to add to all of the posts.Company G was was quite a group of guys, it brought together people from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast. The Mexican border and the Canadian border, teachers and students, lawyers and criminals, cops and fireman, and Generals and Admirals. They all came together in the Kisatchie Forest to form and act as one. There was not one task that they could not do and do well. From laying along a creek bed, to hauling a wagon up a hill by hand, standing picket duty, and the marches without loosing a man or step. This is all something we can be proud of. There will be other events where we might see each other, but will not be the same. I am hoping Tom and Fred put on another event in the upcoming years, and looking forward to re-uniting Company G. Long live the memories and friends made of Company G, 28th La. IPW 2009.
                            Take Care
                            Stay safe
                            Scott Schrimpe
                            124 N.Y.S.V.
                            "Orange Blossom's"

Hedgesville Blues
                            Va.2E
                            "Shocker Mess"

Comment

I was the man that was gained on Thursday, but real life Army duties kept me away until then. I also brought the rain and cold temps with me from Texas. I served with CPT Tucker at BGR, and even though I only spent a cold, wet night with you, I would would have done so again.
                              Rick Biddle
                              Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
                              Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Working...
                              X