Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to Cousin' Hank

All,

A public tip of the hat to Hank Van Syke- "Cousin Hank" to those of us during the event and saver-of-asses to those in need of medical assistance.

I noticed Hank put up a post about sending folks a disk of images he took in his spare minutes. I didn't request one as I thought it improper to impose on the man but one arrived in the mail yesterday.

There are some good images on there and more than a few brought back some memories.

Hank, I hope you haven't spent a small fortune on making and mailing these.

I should also add that we had never met Hank prior to the event. He bought some used goods from me months before and I stayed in touch with him via email. He came across as a darned nice man and when we knew we'd need more help on our logistics crew I took a chance and asked him if he'd be interested. He agreed. Came out having never met us, having never seen an authentic event, and took a week with no pay to do it. Long days, short nights, lugging 7 gallon water jugs, hauling guys out of all manner of rough terrain, he did it with nary a complaint. Hank is a quiet, humble, kind and decent man with a good heart and a giving nature. Some men owe their well-being to him.

I lauded Phil and Hank in my "few words of thanks" thread but when the disk from Hank showed up I couldn't help giving him another nod.

Thanks Hank and thanks Phil.

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Thanks to Cousin' Hank

I have just perused the images on the disk I received yesterday. I was quite delighted to find myself in several of them by chance. There is one in particular that may become my new PC background here at work - the tail end of the US column marching away into the piney woods.

Thanks, Hank! Event logistics is hard work and those that volunteer their time and energy rarely get the public appreciation they deserve.

To that end, I have to thank Phil and Mrs. McBride again. Mrs. found herself a den mother to an ever changing pack of tired hurting men and she adapted and overcame in the best tradition. Phil ran up and down those roads and hauled water and men for days, as did Hank. I know Phil drove all the way to the hospital to sit with Tim Kirk just because he knew he would want someone there if he was the one in the hospital. Phil had never met Tim before, he was just being a kind soul.

They are all "good people".
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
    X