Cornbread's letter from home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornbread's letter from home

On Thursday in the convalescent camp, Cornbread received a couple of letters from home. One was particularly disturbing, causing him much distress for a while. He ranted and raved for a while, then read aloud the following letter (reprinted here courtesy of Mrs. Bread):

Feb. 3, 1864 Alexandria, LA

Mr. Thomas C. Bread

Dear Sir,
    A situation of greatest importance has been brought to the attention of my office.
    The snag boat which you purchased and captained before your conscription into the army ran aground at the hand of your man servant and confidant Lister Sink.
    In doing so the vessel struck the rudder off a river packet boat docked close by.
    An estimate had been ascertained and the amount of damage has been noted and filed in my office the amount being $275 dollars.
    I will make the forward motions to collect the funds from your holdings at the New Orleans Maritime bank if no response is received after the reasonable time of thirty days from present. Additional charges will be added for court costs summing the amount of $282.90 dollars .
    Arrangements may be made through my office to pay the debt. You will find the necessary information to contact my office affixed hereto.

Law office of Catchum Stilit and Rob
    4 ½ Brownhole lane
    St Louis

After running through a considerable list of adjectives, adverbs, descriptive actions and whatnot, Cornbread calmed a bit and came to the conclusion that since he'd actually stolen the boat last fall, it wasn't in his name so they couldn't really charge him for it. And since he didn't have but a few dollars and some change in the bank to begin with, they couldn't take much anyway. So he cheered up and rejoined the group around the fire.

This was one of many dramas playing throughout the week, and brought us much hilarity and entertainment. We hope the lawyers in St. Louis find themselves makings ropes of sand.
    Hank Van Slyke
    "Cousin Hank"
    [URL="http://www.flatfenders.com/scv/camp1745.htm"]3rd Texas Light Artillery[/URL]
    Orange, Texas

Re: Cornbread's letter from home

I'd look closer at the source - could be an imposter. With the exception of Broadway, the streets in St. Louis are mostly all numbered or named after trees. Althouth there are some exceptions sounds like someone's trying to "Brownhole" you.
    So tell Mr. Bread there's no such address.
    Besides I think I found the burnt wreckage of said boat on the levy last summer. Dang scam artists!:wink_smil
    Frank
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Working...
    X