Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the weather

Hello
    What is the weather normally like in October? I did my basic training in MO during the fall so I remember the heat, but I'm just wondering if there is a chance that I might need a great coat.
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Re: the weather

Do not bring a great coat.

If it gets to cold we are in a restored town.

Holler
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I just did a quick check of temps for that weekend in October, in St. Charles County, for the last 3 years. The average temperature during the day is about 62, with a high of 72, at night about 52. The record high was 91, record low (at night) 37.

Normally October should still be warm enough to permit sleeping outdoors. However, an occupying army (particularly officers) could easily find indoor shelter in barns, outbuildings, lean-tos, smoke houses, etc.

We will have a grist mill operator -- not sure what his sympathies are (whether pro-Union or secesh). You might be able to persuade him to let you sleep in the loft.
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
      [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
      [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

That is going to be soooo nice after this Texas summer :)
        Annette Bethke
        Austin TX
        Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
        [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

Kenny

Trust me, an occupying army never sleeps in the cold or rain. Thats what deserters and bushwackers do.

Jason Reinholz
          Capt. Abraham Flemming
          Co. I, 21st Missouri (US)

Comment

Working...
          X