Lost Tribes Excerpts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Tribes Excerpts

For the next few months I am going to post quotes/paragraph(s) from Leslie Anders book The Twenty-First Missouri: From Home Guard to Union Regiment.

Here are today's selection:

" As the Twenty-first Missouri prepared to march west, its strength stood at 18 officers and 604 men present for duty. There were 20 others AWOL, 48 present but ill, and 86 absent ill." pg. 193

" During the three-day encampment at Gray Summit, Roberts(regimental surgeon) wrote his wife back in Fort Madison that " I, with several other officers, board with Widow Brown who keeps a boarding house on the apex of the Summit. I also staid there over night to protect the fat old widow from the soldiers she seems to be mortally afraid of." pg. 194
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: Lost Tribes Excerpts

This next excerpt comes from when David Moore (future Colonel of the 21st Missouri) was recruting men to join the 1st North East Missouri Home Guard (Union). These men fought and defeated Martin Green (State Guard) at Athens August 10, 1861.

" THE UNDERSIGNED IS AUTHORIZED TO RAISE A COMPANY OF VOLUNTEERS IN THIS COUNTY FOR UNION SERVICE ALL WHO ARE WILLING TO FIGHT FOR THEIR HOMES, THIER COUNTRY, AND THE FLAG OF OUR GLORIOUS UNION ARE INVITED TO JOIN HIM, BRINGING WITH THEM THEIR ARMS AND AMMUNITION..UNTIL THE GOVERNMENT CAN AID US, WE MUST TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES.

SECESSIONISTS AND REBEL TRAITORS DESIRING A FIGHT CAN BE ACCOMODATED [sic] ON DEMAND." pg. 10-11 Anders

Happy 4th of July!
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Working...
    X