Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prepare for the Lost Tribes

Hello!

I'm going to be coming as a Federal in the 21st. Honestly, this is the first time I've ever attended a truly immersive event such as this, and all of the talk about its potential is making the drive from Utah to Missouri seem less daunting, especially since I'll probably be making it by myself.

But anyways, since it'll be 1864 and us Union soldiers will be "veterans," I was wondering about how should I prepare myself to actually drill with confidence and act like an actual combat veteran of three years. I'm not talking about preparing my first person persona, but I'm referring to the drills that I will need to perfect in order to be a good soldier. For example, do I need to practice facing movements, picket duty, marching, etc.? I ask this question because out here in Utah, there is a reenacting group but we do not drill often enough for one to remember anything so I'm pretty much on my own. And, I know that the obvious answer is to study everything, and I plan on doing that since I have online copies of Hardee's and Casey's infantry tactics, but I'd be a lot more comfortable if there were certain aspects of drilling that I could focus on that we will do more than others.

Thanks!
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Re: How to prepare for the Lost Tribes

I'm not an officer, but my $.02, probably of the most benefit would be to bone up on guard and picket duty since you will be occupying this town. There will be a guard house as well for political prisoners and misbehaving comrades.

May also bone up on skirmish drill....

Best Regards....
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Kenny

I am commanding Co. I at lost tribes this year. I sent you an email answering some of your questions. Let me know if you did not get it.

If anybody else has any federal military questions about the event please let me know.

Jason Reinholz
      Capt. Abraham Flemming
      Co. I, 21st Missouri (US)

Comment

Kenny,
        Is still a 50/50 chance I will be able to attend. If you're swinging near Omaha or Lincoln, Nebraska, we could share driving and split costs from there to Missoura.

Please keep in touch re your plans.

I, too, would be "Hollerin" with the 21st.

Paul Hadley
        Paul Hadley

Comment

Thanks to all for your help. I will definitaly be brushing up on all of your suggestions.

Jason, your email was well received. Thanks!

Paul, I sent you a pm.

I can't wait!
          Kenny Pavia
          24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Young fellow, you ask how to prepare yourself? First, get your soul right with the Lord. Second, write letters home to all your loved ones. Make sure your drawers are clean and all the playing cards, pictures of naked French ladies and the such are tossed from your pockets. Then you will be ready for what awaits you in Gray's Summit.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

It seems what is going to be awaiting all the yanks will be a short drop and a sudden stop with a lingering hint of hemp rope in the air

OX

Comment

Isn't the same thing awaiting the scamps, tramps and outlaws that live on the fringes of Grays Summit?
                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Make sure your drawers are clean
                  But Tom, I was planning on following option #2 of the underdrawers in the uniform guidelines...:D
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Then make sure your trousers are clean:D

Comment

Working...
                    X