Helping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping out

When Holler approached me with the possibility of raising a band of bushwhackers for Lost Tribes, I did not hesitate to respond. Since Missouri was full of such folks, it should have come to no ones surprise that bushwhackers would be present. However, we had planned to keep secret exactly who the bushwhackers would be. Holler, in his wisdom, knew that if yankee folks realized that a bunch of Texians were again invading Missouri, that he would have a hard time recruiting yankees. I can't say that I can blame them after what a few of them experienced at Marmaduke's Raid.:) In order to stir the pot and get interest going in what will be an excellent event at an excellent site, I went public. Good events are few and far between. Good events in the Trans-Mississippi are even fewer and further between. It seems there will be a good size civilian population for Gray's Summit. There will be a few bushwhackers. I do hope there will be plently of blue bellied Missouri white trash, black republican Federals present. Holler and Silvana and others have worked hard to put this together. Holler is a dang fine fellow and I am in full support of his efforts. I will even wear my Hawkeye cap on my journey north and I hope he wears his Texas A&M cap on his journey south. I look forward to seeing you folks up in Missouri in October. Silvana, I even look forward to seeing you even though you were so roughly treated by the mean old Texians at Marmaduke's Raid, but rest assured, we are a gentle and kind bunch and only pretended to be cut throat killers and thieves.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Re: Helping out

Just to go along with what Tom has written. Yes, our intent was to keep many aspects of this event quiet. One of the issues that we are faced with is that people want to be in the know. We have a select few that know what is going to happen. But even those people will be surprised. I remember for Raymond 1998 the AoP sent out a packet of information. You could read on about what was going to happen or be surprised. I always picked to not be in the know. I wanted things to just "happen".

Men who register for Company I will not be disappointed. I have tried to give you a snapshot of the tempermant of the men in the company. Remember many of these men's enlistments were just about up (Dec 4, 1864), they were within a two days ride to home, they were pissed about what was going on while they were away, the election of 1864 was a month away and they were UNRULY as HELL! Remember Missouri is their home too!

You know of Tom's group but there may or may not be other groups present. At this point the bushwhackers group(s) are full. These were full about a year ago when they were asked to raise a group(s). The male citizen side of the town is full. We need men to wear the blue and be rowdy!
    To put it in Star Wars terms not everyone can be Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, a few of us have to be Storm Troopers. With Abe being Darth Vader.

I have been asked to list the types of duties that the federal company will do. First of all this is NOT a garrison style event. We will be sending patrols looking for Tom and others. I have asked that you bring 60 rounds of ammo, and we are going to have to deal with townfolk. I guess if you really want to know what is going to happen call me 319-341-5885. I can fill you in but what is the fun with that?

I thank Tom and the Ground Hornets for responding in such a enthusiatic way. They are traveling from here and there. Just on the side I am collecting registration (Bushwhackers and Company I) we have men from Texas, Louisiana, Utah, California, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Colorado, Mississippi, Okalhoma, and Indiana.

I am not the desperate school girl looking for a date to the prom, just trying to promote Silvana's and my event and bring a little love to the Trans-Miss.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Come on, fellas! Sounds like this unruly town could use some "pacification" and a taste of Federal authority! I, for one, can't wait - and I agree with Holler - I'd rather know as little as possible. I'll just be ready with a chip on my shoulder, a bad attitude, and waiting for someone to disrespect my uniform!

Cheers,
      E
      Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Hairy Nation Boys View Post
        To put it in Star Wars terms not everyone can be Han Solo or Luke Skywalker, a few of us have to be Storm Troopers. With Abe being Darth Vader.
        That being said:
        We promise, no one will have to be this guy...

But, sometimes its pretty cool to be affiliated with the evil empire...

Seriously, though...
        On our end of the hobby, numbers are naturally smaller. This can make it tough to put on events with new, different, and challenging scenarios. Not every event can be BGR or Piney Woods. One of the things that is exciting about Lost Tribes is that it won't be a "standard" event (picket post, rear guard action, SOYA living history). We will have as close to a fully functioning town as I've seen at an event. The "scenario" will not be typical.

I would really encourage guys to come out and be surprised. Don't worry about Tom and his boys...
        It'll only take one of 'em dangling from a tree at the edge of town to set them straight. :wink_smil

(TOM: You have my promise that none of your boys will be frozen in carbonite)
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'm the sheriff and this is my town. Any pacification or taking care of the unruly and I'll be doing it. Hands off soldier boys!
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

I'm really enjoying the image of Holler as the shy school girl trying not to look as though she wanted to dance.

Tom, I'm not too scared of you ... because I know how easy you are to bribe with whiskey and coffee! There will probably be some apple pies cooling on the stone house window sill, too.

I've posted this elsewhere, but there is something really special about this site. The village is out in the country with very few modern intrusions in the neighborhood. For the last five miles or so as you approach the town, you'll be passing nothing but farms and stables. The village itself is nestled in a valley between hills. I think the federals will actually have a once-in-a-lifetime experience here; the opportunity of occupying a functional town and coping with guerrilla forces, a divided populace, not to mention an ornery sheriff should make for a lot of fascinating scenarios.
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
            [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
            [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

I too, am looking forward to this event for the very reason I don't know what is going to happen. IMHO this raises the sence of urgency. That feeling when combined with the fact I'm close to home and being discharged, should lead to some new experiences for me in reenacting. I'll be as rowdy as I dare and not find myself at the end of a rope.:D
              Your humble servant....
              Sean Collicott
              [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
              [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Working...
              X