Western Manners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Manners

I came across a travel account, written by Emil Frey (a Swiss traveler) in 1848. He's talking about dinner on a steamboat traveling to the West, but I've read many similar descriptions (Dickens's American Notes, Fanny Trollope's Domestic Manners of the Americans) of western Americans sitting down for their dinner at Inns and public houses. I thought this might be illuminating for Gray Summit residents and visitors taking their meals at Capt. Smith's Inn. BTW, Emil Frey became a Union Army officer and spent two years in Libby Prison during the war.

At 7 o’clock the waking-bell is sounded, at 7:30 breakfast, at 1 o’clock dinner, at 6 o’clock tea. Although there is room for 60 to 100 people at the table, there are always so many persons that it is necessary to serve 2 meals in succession, and often three. The children never eat at the first table; until all the ladies are seated no man can sit down; in 10 minutes everything has disappeared. In America people do not eat, they devour, so much the worse for the awkward person who can’t catch the dishes on the fly, he is in danger of going without dinner; no one will offer him anything, on the contrary they will snatch everything that is in front of you. The politeness upon which the Americans plume themselves is very extraordinary, they let the ladies be seated first, but they sprawl before them on a sofa, they chew tobacco in their presence, they spit on the ground, they blow their noses with their fingers; that is what is hardest to get used to. ...

So it appears that we aren't eating fast enough. Though I've certainly witnessed plenty of the lounging-about and spitting-tobacco behavior.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
    [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
    [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Re: Western Manners

My late great uncle Dale, who hailed from Birchtree, Missouri, cleared his sinuses by powerful exhalations combined with alternating finger stoppings on the side of his nose--all to the chagrin of my great aunt and my amazement as a small boy. My mother forbade me imitating the practice absolutley! As a foot note to this I remember how much "Kleenex" was dearly prized as a gift by the elders of the family who were in the back parts of Missouri and didn't get to town much. (There were no Wal-Marts in those days.) I suspect that Kleenex had a lot to do with civilizing that aspect of self care.

The men ate first family suppers, then the women and children. Luckily, there was plenty for all though it was eaten up quickly as described in this interesting quotation. I wonder how the custom of the men eating first evolved from the opposite practice that the migrating traveler saw? Thanks for posting this.

Bob Taylor

Comment

Emil-y sounds like a Nancy Boy. War and Libby Prison must have been very hard on his sensibilities.
      Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
      Terry Pratchett

Comment

Another:

Three Months in the Southern States April - June 1863. Lt. Col Arthur J. L. Freemantle
        April 1863, On the way to Houston by train.
        I have already discovered that, directly the bell rings, it is necessary to rush at one's food and bolt it as quickly as possible, without any ceremony or delay, otherwise it all disappears, so rapacious and so voracious are the natives at their meals whilst travelling. Dinner, on such occasions, in no case lasts more than seven minutes.
        Annette Bethke
        Austin TX
        Civil War Texas Civilian Living History
        [URL="http://www.txcwcivilian.org"]www.txcwcivilian.org[/URL]

Comment

In today's terms it's called a "farmer blow". Every kid in Iowa, Missouri or other places learn this and do it as much as possible.
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

...they blow their noses with their fingers...
            Well, if no tissue is available, and the hanky is not present, or is already 'filled', then how else does a person clear the passages? It should be done as privately as possible, and with care as to where the ejected material will land, but I still use that method in appropriate places. Especially where some water is easily available to clean the fingers with afterward.

I learned it from dad and grandpa. :)
            Ron Mueller
            Illinois
            New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
            Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
            Abraham Lincoln

Comment

IF you play ice hockey...it's "clearing the snot locker"

You do not want to fall in front of the benches...pay attention to a Pro game some time.

CjR

Comment

I have a friend from the Netherlands who says I always eat way too fast. I guess that part of American manners hasn't changed too much.
                Kenny Pavia
                24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I eat to fast. It's called 25 minutes for lunch before my students return from their lunch.
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

... besides "farmer blow" also known as a snot rocket to this Nebraska raised kid. Farmer blow is the most common.

I've also experienced the same w/ modern Europeans. Historically, the rapacity of repast is perhaps skewed by the European travellers' perception. The quote of seven minutes is a swift meal tho'!

Benjamin L Clark
                    ---------------
                    Benjamin L. Clark
                    [URL="http://www.themondak.org"]MonDak Heritage Center[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.montanamuseums.org/"]Museums Assoc. of Montana[/URL]

Comment

I've been accused of eating too fast many times, because I do. I think it's just not an American thing per se, but I believe it's a human thing. Through our genetic history, we have become "food horders" in that, many people eat past capacity because our brain tells us we may not get another meal for some time (eventhough food is one of the most plentyful things in the world), as what happened with our ancient ancestors. Just my .02
                      Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                      Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                      Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                      Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                      Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                      Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                      sigpic

Comment

Those attending Lost Tribes and wishing to protect their food rations from anyone desiring to take those rations might apply the following documented methods. It seems that in one case, urinating on food kept foragers from taking it. Another example was to dip the food in the slop jar. This seemed to work well to keep it from being taken, also. Of course, after the foragers have left, and for historical accuracy, you must wash off your food and then eat it. While my reference is from an eastern account, The Civil War in the Smokies, it should work west of the Mississippi as well.
                        Tom Yearby
                        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

I think that instead, it might be best to urinate on their rations and nevermind if they wash it off first. Thereafter, a sign should be left behind reading, "Emily was here".
                          Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                          Terry Pratchett

Comment

Fergus,
                            No doubt you wouldn't mind eating your bacon straight out of the slop jar, but not everyone is of your deep Pineywoods upbringing. The above mentioned 'urinate on the rations' episode was not the partisans or foraging soldiers urinating on the civilians rations, but the civilian urinating on the rations to discourage the partisan/foraging soldiers from taking the rations. That they saved their rations and then washed those rations off before they and their family consumed them is the point of my post. Again, I realize a low scoundrel of a fellow such as yourself would find washing off the tainted rations pointless, but so it goes.
                            Tom Yearby
                            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
                              The above mentioned 'urinate on the rations' episode was not the partisans or foraging soldiers urinating on the civilians rations, but the civilian urinating on the rations to discourage the partisan/foraging soldiers from taking the rations.
                              I think the best way would be to urinate on the rations one was willing to give up, without letting the foragers know.

Hank Trent
                              hanktrent@gmail.com
                              Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
                              X