Lost Tribes AAR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lost Tribes AAR.

Well according to some posts I should have laid off the pie. :)

I also saw lots of "butterflies" near the house you all stayed.
    Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 10-31-2009, 07:32 AM.
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I have had a few questions regarding pictures from Lost Tribes. Silvana and I agreed that we would not allow cameras at this event. Some were snuck in. No big deal. Just wanted people to know what we were thinking and why the lack of images.

This was my one and only experience organizing a event like Lost Tribes.

I am thankful that we had a good group of citizens, bushwhackers, and federal troops.

I hope everyone has a hapy Thanksgiving and am looking forward to 2010!
      Nathan Hellwig
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I'll be there in 10'! However, I do recall an old lady, worked for the sight I think, taken some pictures. I know she got alot of good shots! Would anybody by chance know who the lady was? She wasn't one of us in funny clothes...
        Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
        The Tater Mess

Comment

There was also a film crew from the University that was poking around a bit. In fact, my dashing exploits that resulted in the capture of a pistol were at least partially captured on film, if I am correct.
          Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

In addition, there was the older feller, later to be seen walking a sheltie ~
            does anybody know him? He took a bunch of shots, all of our march and
            our first occupation of the village, and many more.
            It would be great to see those pictures.
            Your most obedient servant and comrade,
            James C. Schumann
            Mess #3
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

The old guy does security at the site.

I like the fact that we don't have any picures. Kind of like Bigfoot. You had to see it to believe it.
              Nathan Hellwig

Comment

I'll try to find out whether there was anyone from the University taking pictures. I never even noticed them. That's one great thing (among many others) about the site administration -- they do their level best to stay under the radar during events and the few spectators who do come by are intelligent & respectful and very interested in history.

At events like these it's almost impossible to get rid of all modern intrusions, but Holler & I thought we could at least minimize some things, such as cameras. For me, it was worth it not to have cameras. I'll never forget this event anyway. BTW, Holler, I hadn't realized this was your first time out organizing a major event -- you did a brilliant job.

One thing I wanted to add, about the pictures posted by Jason Thibodeaux -- those were taken at the Van Bibber site, which is about a half mile down the road from the main village. That is a separate collection of buildings, also owned by the University, which include a blacksmith shop and a large school house. The reason you see cars in that photo is that the VB site doesn't have a separate parking lot. At Boonesfield village all cars are parked elsewhere, and are not visible from inside town.

The Van Bibber site was used as a bivouac by the federals at Lost Tribes. It's also a collection of antebellum buildings. It has its own little pond and is surrounded on 3 sides by historic panoramas, but the cars are visible at the front of the site. Anyway, we'll see what we can do about that for the May event. The veterans will be lodging in a Gentlemen's Boarding House (i.e., the old academy building) and we will see what we can do about minimizing modern intrusions for you.

I guess the best thing to suggest would be to try to car pool as much as possible so that the cars will be easier to hide.
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Silvana R. Siddali[/SIZE][/FONT]
                [URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/home"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Star of the West Society[/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][B]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Cherry Bounce G'hal[/B][/COLOR]:wink_smil

Comment

If you are planning on attending as a veteran of the 21st Missouri Company I , and want to be with us at the Van Bibber "Hotel" contact me. headlog@gmail.com

We will NOT park at the Van Bibber site. Parking will be at the Boonesfield site for all participants.

More information to come!
                  Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 11-20-2009, 01:25 PM.
                  Nathan Hellwig

Comment

When we were at the Van Bibber site, another University camera crew filmed us for a bit, and one of them asked us questions while the other recorded our answers. We were kind enough not to shoot them.
                    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Comment

We saw them too. Had to play along.
                      Nathan Hellwig

Comment

The first 2010 issue of the Camp Chase Gazette should include an article about Lost Tribes that I submitted shortly after the event (but still too late for the November/December issue.). I included some photos I discreetly took during the event and some taken right after the final whistle, and a couple of period images taken by the period photographer who was there. Since I was with the bushwackers, only the posed period images include any of the Federal soldiers. I don't know which or how many photos the CCG editor will include with the article, but there should be a couple at least. It was an excellent event that made a good story.

Phil McBride
                        The Alamo Rifles
                        Phil McBride
                        Author:
                        Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                        Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                        Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                        Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                        Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                        Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

I tried to explain to some of the boys that much progress had been made in the 19th century and that their old flintlocks that didn't work and trying to start a fire with flint and steel were so 18th century, but they could grasp the concept of the modern age. I also tried to explain to them about photography, but it was beyond their comprehension.
                          Tom Yearby
                          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Unfortunately, friendly fire was more effective than the flintlocks. Next time, advance guards should get the flintlocks and scouts take the percussion weapons.
                            Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                            Terry Pratchett

Comment

My flintlock worked just fine. It certainly worked better than Joe's shotgun when he was carrying his caps in his hand.
                              Phil Graf

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb View Post
                                My flintlock worked just fine. It certainly worked better than Joe's shotgun when he was carrying his caps in his hand.

Throwing rocks would work better than your flintlock. At Lovelady, it would not shoot at all. Same with your pistol.

As for Lost Tribes, the caps were transferred to the shotgun nipples, then the double barrels wrought deadly fire.

This is modern 19th Century weaponry. Go get you some.

And don't lose your pistol again unless it is the one that does not work.
                                Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                                Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                                X