Shooting the parson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shooting the parson

Saw him pull the trigger from across town?
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

"Did anyone see Hog pull the trigger? And was he the only one? There was another solider with him..."

I believe, Mr. Comer, that Holler is talking about the Parson and not the dove.

Mr. White you were a great addition to my section and always pulled your weight. I look forward to working with you again in Nov. I also respect your standing up for what you believe is right. However, I heard the Parson talk about Jeff Davis during his sermon.

Here is my testimony as a Corporal of 3rd section 21st MO Co. I.

Before and during the service myself and a few others in my section were on the green taking a nap after chasing after some bushwhackers earlier in the morning. I awoke to see Hog and another guard outside the church. I decided to head over to the sinks located behind the church. I stopped to converse with Hog on my way. He said that the town was full of sesch. I said I agreed and that the boarding house in particular seemed unloyal to the union. As I walked past the door I paused to look in to see if anyone from my section was inside. As I stepped away I heard the Parson speak of Jeff Davis with my own ears. I thought to myself that it was finally confirmed that the town was full of disloyal men and women.

I agree with Holler that the whole town should feel lucky. We came into town and for the most part treated the civilians with more respect then ever received. Our Captain is a good man and held to the order of not entering a dwelling without order or reason. There may have been a couple of exceptions to this but there should have been more! I myself tried to convince the Captain to let me and my section look through the boarding house Saturday afternoon. I was disappointed when he said maybe later and I never received the order to do so. That house deserved to be searched in detail in my opinion.

I want to take a moment to say thank you to everyone that was in 3rd section (Sean, Rich, White, Campbell, Belland and E). You did your duty and followed orders without question or complaint. I did my best to ensure you were well taken care of. It was an honor and privilege to be your corporal.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

I was Sgt of the Guard for Sunday morning, and was informed to keep a sharp eye toward the woods. I however, felt that many of our enemies lay in the service of the now departed "Reverend" (so called) and had the two best, most brave men placed on guard for the church. Outside in this rough town, mice and rats were running rampant, so I lit a quick torch to spot where these pests were entering the House of God, short time ago being filled by the southern tunes of a devil "Preacher". While women were apparently upset inside, I ask one woman in town to testify against the character of myself here. Did I not ask the store keeper if it was allowed we enter her store? Myself personally ensuring a small number entered at a time! We paid, took our hats off inside etc. Ask the Widow if her house was not swept before the Federals left town. Our boys worked off a meal at Captain Smith's Inn, had the Widow and her Niece's things moved to their new quarters outside of the square, and we refused to question them further, despite reports and visible confirmation that bushwakers indeed slept and dined in those halls. Good citizens of Grays Summit, ask yourselves if a man of God truly needs a large side knife, or if perhaps the words that caused his shooting were enough to warrant him an enemy of the United States and perhaps the sanctity of your small village.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

I asked Hog to shoot that damned dove. I found it perfect irony to have the dove of peace in such a lawless town.

We had various homes labled as ""rebel nests". The Sappington house, the "boarding" house (so they call it that), and Smith's Inn were all being watched. I did not trust that man Captain Smith had working for him.

David "Hog Sh*t" Cravens is set to stand trial May 14-16,2010. Look for word coming very soon. We are working on the details...
          Nathan Hellwig
          AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
          "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Hog S*it shouldn't be put on trial at all, let alone be put on trial by a bunch of Bushwaker hording crackers! This is Horse S*it! As one of this brave mans Sgts, I plan on making my way back to Gray's Summit to defend his good name, or burn the town to free him!
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

We're going to have the best jury money can buy to make sure that the attempted murder of our spiritual leader is avenged. Then with the money left over we'll buy the young man some marksmanship lessons before we execute him.
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
              [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

It is good men like Patrick and the boy's in Co. I that I hope to have in the courtroom next year. If it means that I swing from a rope at the end of the trial then so shall it be. We were there to liberate the great state of Missouri and her loyal citizens. I will not recognize the illegal gov't of Thomas Reynolds or Claiborne F. Jackson before him. I look forward to a speedy trial.

Greg Colvin
                David B. Cravens
                Hog

(But I am a little nervous)

Comment

Hog, don't worry nothing will happen to you. You have to many friends.
                  Last edited by Hairy Nation Boys; 10-05-2009, 09:42 PM.
                  Nathan Hellwig
                  AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                  "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I'll stand by Hog to the end. If those mushmouth Pukes try to touch one hair one his head, they'll have me to deal with. I'll shoot the first mother's son that goes anywhere near him with any intent of handling him.
                    Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                    My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Holler,
                      Good thing. Besides, the townfolk would have a hard time finding a jury, since most of the men in town were killed in the grist mill fire.
                      Patrick Landrum
                      Independent Rifles

Comment

Maybe we'll have to resort to swearing in a few women on that jury. Not an unheard of event with such a shortage of men. He'll get his just desserts one way or the other. Law and order must be restored.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Women on a jury...next thing you'll be wanting the vote!
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

I am sore amazed to find now that the citizens of that godforsaken town are now interested in law and order. Why, until yesterday their primary interest was furthering their Luciferian rebellion by providing aid, comfort, and (probably) intelligence to the cutthroats lurking in the hills, intent on murdering soldiers of the United States army. The only one I trusted AT ALL was the sheriff- and that was only in matters pertaining to said ruffians, as he alone seemed to see them as a common enemy.

I was not present during the shooting of that viper masquerading as a parson, as I was called away during the bushwackers' attack on our picket line. I had been present, however, in front of the church after word got out that the alleged parson was preaching disunion. I saw two of the townspeople leave the edifice in disgust at the treasonous message.

The traitorous parson had a large belt-knife taken from him when we entered the town the day before. I'm quite convinced that, knowing the controversy his planned homily could not fail to evoke, he must have taken the pulpit with a firearm concealed on his person. He most likely made a move for it behind the mill, provoking private Cravens and the "unknown" other soldier to fire in self-defence. I have not doubt they had cause to fear for their lives in the presence of that Judas- this should be all the defence they require.
                            Arch Campbell
                            Hairy Nation
                            Loyal Union League
                            Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

I find it ironic how the people of Gray's Summit considered us to be loathsome scum, disrupting their "peaceful" lives... until they considered the prospect of us leaving. Now that the danger is past, they want to put one of their protectors on trial for doing his duty.

The nerve!
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I was there and Hog was right! We did nothing so terrible to merrit such treatment as we recived. A most unchristian disposition was on display for our entire stay in town. I was polite to all whom I met, and did not take that which did not belong to me. Even when we flushed the bushwhackers from their hovel sunday morning I did steal! But when I saw our beloved fifer and drummer shot down in cold blood I regretfully lost my temper. They were armed only with a fife, and drum. I fail to see honor in such a deed. I yelled at a lady in front of the store "Is this what your preacher preaches? Murder on a Sunday!" I was raised better but was swept away by events. Providence swayed our Captain to march us out of town before the torch was empolyed to it's fullest, and thus I have no blot on my conscience. But I hear tell the murderous wretches killed and, burned out those who had protected them. Just desterts I say!

Signed....
                                Pvt. Lewis M. Spraig, 21st MO. Co.I
                                Your humble servant....
                                Sean Collicott
                                [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                                [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X