Preservation Donation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation Donation

Part of the registration fee for the event is going to The Legacy Parks Foundation in Knoxville. The foundation is responsible for purchasing much of the land that Fort Higley and Fort Sanders set upon. Review some of the other folders for more info or send me a message and I will get you the link.

I will announce in a few days the actual amount of the donation, made possible by all of the attendee at The Race to Knoxville. Sean and I have to go over the books and see how things panned out.

Thanks to all
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Re: Preservation Donation

After all is said and done, we will be making a donation of $830.00 to the Legacy Parks Foundation. The donation will be for the Urban Wilderness and Historic Corridor project. http://www.legacyparks.org/projects.html

The project includes the following areas.

Fort Stanley Ridge
    A 22-acre wooded parcel off Chapman Highway containing the Civil War fort where Union troops from Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio joined the 8th Tennessee and 16th Kentucky regiments to protect the southern approaches to Knoxville. This land also provides a key green backdrop that frames the cityside view of the south waterfront.

Fort Higley
    A seven-acre parcel adjacent to Log Haven, a seven-acre parcel containing a critical portion of Fort Higley. During the 17-day Siege of Knoxville and the Battle of Fort Sanders, Fort Higley served as the western anchor of the Federal line, protecting the city from Confederate troops stationed on Cherokee Heights.

Fort Dickerson Park
    An 85-acre scenic city park, said to be the best preserved of all earthworks forts dating from the Civil War days, now stands as evidence of the fort's role in defending Knoxville from Confederate General Longstreet's advance on the city.

Hope is that we will organize living history events at these sites in the future.

Thanks to all, once again.

Best regards
    Greg S Barnett
    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Working...
    X