X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Homeguard Company for the Battle of Selma 2010

Gentlemen,

We will be raising an Authentic company(maybe battalion) of Homeguard/militia for the battle of Selma this year. The dates for the event are April 23-25.

If you read the history of the battle of Selma, you will see that a majority of the troops were homeguard/militia and citizens from the town. Please help us keep the scenario as true to history as possible by participating with us.

Gentleman of all ages are welcome to participate with us, because the homeguard were composed of young boys, older men as well as Army aged men that worked at the Selma Arsenal but, No firearms of any kind will be carried by any person under 14 years of age, and fathers, or properly designated adults, must supervise boys ages 14-16.

If you would like anymore information please feel free to contact me by pm or at rocky_kilpatrick@yahoo.com (notice the underscore)
    Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
    Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Re: Authentic Homeguard Company for the Battle of Selma 2010

Uniform and equipment Guidelines for Homeguard/militia

Headgear: 1) Any Documented Citizen-Style of Proper Period Materials and Construction. 2) Jean-Cloth Kepi. All of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction.

Coat: 1) Citizen Sack Coat or Frock Coat. 2) Enlisted Man's Double or Single-Breasted Frock Coat (No Trim).

Shirt: 1) Any Documented Citizen-Style of Proper Period Materials and Construction. 2) CS-Issued Shirts. All of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction.

TROUSERS: Citizen-Style Preferred. Wool or Cotton Jean Cloth, Citizen Overalls Also Accepted. (Proper Wear)

Drawers: Any Documented Citizen or Military-Style Drawers of Proper Period Materials and Construction.

Footwear: 1) Any Documented Citizen-Style of Proper Period Materials and Construction. 2) English Imports. 3) Federal Brogans (Reluctantly Accepted).

Socks: Either Citizen or Military-Style of Proper Period Materials and Construction.

Canteen: 1) Confederate Tin Drum or 2) Confederate Wood Drum Canteen. All of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction. No Federal-Issued Canteens Please.

Knapsack: 1) Bedrolls or Horse-Collars Are Strongly-Preferred. 2) Mexican War or English Imports Accepted.

Haversack: 1) Any Proper, Documented, Citizen Style Haversack. Haversack of Proper Materials and Construction.

ground cloth: 1) Any Documented Western Theater Painted Cloth. 2) Any Documented Citizen Floor Cloth. All of Proper Period Materials and Construction.

ACCOUTERMENTS: 1) Any Documented Accouterments from the Western Theater . 2) English Import. *U.S. Accouterments With the Buckles Removed Are Reluctantly Accepted.

Waistbelt: 1) Georgia-Frame with Clip-Corners, 2) Any Documented Citizen-Style. All of Proper Period Wear, Materials and Construction.

FIREARM: 1) Shotguns or Hunting Rifles. 2) '42 Springfield. 3) P53 Enfield. 4) Austrian Lorenz. Bayonets are Optional. No Flintlocks Please.

BLANKET: Any Documented Confederate-Issued Blanket, Western Theater. 2) Any Documented Citizen Style. All of Proper Materials and Construction. No Federal Blankets.

Tentage No Tentage Allowed For Confederate Militia.

Eyewear1) Period Frames Only. 2) No Modern Eyewear of Any Kind! (Contacts Excluded - Solution in Poke Sack).
    Kindest regards,

Comment

Good post Rocky!
      We are trying to add a higher standard of authenticity to this event. If interested get back with us!

Michael Mumaugh
      Capt. 51st Alabama INF.
      I.R.
      WIG
      Michael Mumaugh
      Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
      Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
      Outpost III
      Pickett's Mill
      Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Pards,

The reason for raising this Authentic company of Homeguard is too keep the story of the Battle of Selma alive. Homeguard and the citizens of Selma were the majority of the Confederate forces at this engagement along with Forrest's worn out cavalry.

For those of you that have expressed an interest in joining us for this endeavor, you are greatly appreciated. For those of you that are thinking about joining us, it will be pleasant experience. If you want to come, but don't have the civilian gear, just let me know and I will get you what you need.

About 25 people have expressed an interest, which is a great start, but there is always room for more.

Command Structure
        Commander: David Scroggins - Yellowhammer Rifles
        1st Sgt. : Michael Mumaugh- Independent Rifles

More information will be added as it becomes available.
        Kindest regards,

Comment

Rocky,

Count me and Garrett 4I in. We'll be at CoMP Friday for school days, and then come on over for Selma.

I have always enjoyed Home Guard at Selma. We have always collected up gear, and issued it to the citizens as they meander in from town. We also have packed up ammo for issue as well.

Let me know what kinda help you need.
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Working...
          X