Confederate Flintlock Company for Twin Rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Flintlock Company for Twin Rivers

Is anyone raising or thinking of raising a Confederate flintlock company for Twin Rivers to be held near Colliersville, TN - Nov. 11 -14, 2010? This event, based on the Forts Henry/Donelson compaign, would be a wonderful event for those of use who have dreamed of recreating an early war authentic, generic flintlock company.

Let me know if anyone is interested in using a pumpkin slinger and not dressing in style!

Dan Stewart

Re: Confederate Flintlock Company for Twin Rivers

Sounds interesting. Might have to break out the flintlock for this event.

Michael Mumaugh
    51st Alabama INF
    I.R.
    WIG
    Michael Mumaugh
    Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
    Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
    Outpost III
    Pickett's Mill
    Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Better make sure they'll allow flintlocks on the field first. Good chance they won't.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for suggestion. I have premission to raise a Confederate Flintlock company for this event.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Michael M,

It does sound different. I hope you will consider joining the company.

Dan Stewart

Comment

I think it's great that you'll be able to raise a flinter company. It's certainly an early war impression that doesn't get seen very much.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

I'd love to read more about this. Can anyone share any of the primary sources?
              Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

I would be interested in this and I have three correct flintolocks ( a true 1st model Brown Bess, a Fowler, southern Mountain Rifle) of two I could loan out if needed. What other gear requirements are there? I imagine civilian or frock coat or maybe a battle shirt but I will let the experts decide. Keep us abreast of what is going on.
                R. Yerby Ray
                Newton, NC

Comment

Mr. Ray, we are glad you are intested in the company. For this company, we will be using only military flintlocks used at Forts Henry/Donelson- like your Brown Bess or a M1816/22. Fowlers or hunting rifles will not be allowed in this company. We are striving to have an "as issued from the state arsenal" look.

You can get some idea of the gear requirements from what was issued to a company of the 10th Tennessee, Inf at Fort Henry:

80 flintlocks
                  80 cartridge boxes
                  80 brush and picks,
                  160 gun flints
                  80 gun slings
                  80 waist belts
                  8 spring vises
                  8 ball screws
                  4 saber belts
                  84 knapsacks

Each man seemed fairly well equipped except for the obsolete flintlock. Also you can notice that there was were no bayonets or scabbards issued at this time. (Maybe this is a good excuse to bring out a d-guard knife.) As for the uniforms we do not have any hard or fast rules. I think that as long a person can document his choice of civilian, state or communtation frock or sack coat that would be ok. As for pants, as soon as we start getting to a company strength we can decided on adding the black strip to the outside of the pants. It seems like a lot of Confederate had a black stripe on their pants.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Fielding this company is certainly not a done deal. We do have permission from the event organizers to field this company. But that is about it. This company is starting from the ground up. We do not have officers, NCO,s and we certainly do not have the soldiers in the ranks - yet. I know that this is a very specialized company. There are probably more living historians who are capable of presenting a Berdan Sharpshooter impression than there are living historians who are capable of doing an good early war Confederate soldier who shoulders a military flintlock. I know not many living historians have a Brown Bess or a M1816/22 in their closet. Still I think a flintlock company at the Twin Rivers would be a wonderful addition to this event. And probably something that has not been seen in this hobby.

Keep in mind that this company will be a temporary organization for the Twin Rivers event. So each member will have his home unit.

Dan Stewart

Comment

I have informed one of the organizers of the Twin Rivers event that I am giving up the efforts to organize a Confederate Flintlock company for the event. So far not very many living historians have expressed interest in creating a company of flinters for this event. I hope that perhaps someone who is a better organizer can raise a company of Confederate Flintlocks for this event.

I would like to thank the organizers of this event and the living historians who have expressed an interest in this company.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Working...
                      X