Disaffected in Canada Event Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disaffected in Canada Event Info

Some key roles have been filled for the Disaffected in Canada event being held at Historic Fort Wayne, Michigan on June 10-13, 2010.

Captain Tom Klas
    1st Lieut Jeremy Bevard
    2nd Lieut Rod Miller
    1st Sergeant Tom Steele
    Corporal Sean Collicott

Sutler Pat Price

Cooks ??

Laundress ??

The cooks and laundress positions should be filled soon. To remind everyone there will be a period money exchange before the event starts to use at the sutler and laundress.

In my signature line there is a link to the website for more info and registration.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: Disaffected in Canada Event Info

One update.
    I will not be with the company. I will be a Captain of the 19th US Infantry, Company A, 3rd Battalion who was also at the Fort at this time. This allows this unit to have some representation at the event and will allow me to have freedom to run the event without the risk of disrupting the company.

Registration is open just follow the link for details. (the word registration is a link if you can not see it as I can not)
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Hi gents,

I just wanted to help Jeremy getting the word out about this fine preservation event and the quality of living historian we are looking for. I was greatly encouraged by the fine AAR's on Backwaters and hope we can drawn some fine living historians to this unique event that were at this one.

Jeremy has asked me to lead the 30th Michigan for the weekend and I will do my best to provide you with an accurate experience. I am normally a behind the scenes gent however I look forward to the challege and honor of leading our company. Incase you are not familar with me, I am the founding member of the Hard Head Mess and have served at many events with our forum members since 2000.

Please feel free to check out this page for further information and the ONV forum board as well.

Yours in accurate impressions,

Tom
      Tom Klas
      Hard Head Mess
      Citizens Guard

Comment

I just sent some of this info out to the C company from Backwaters. Thought I would post it here so you have the same info. Plus I added some more.

There will be no Sunday death march but please consider coming to the Disaffected in Canada event in June here in Michigan. It will be the flip side of the coin of soldier life, garrison in an original fort. Tom Klas is the company Captain, Rod Miller is 1st Lieut and Tom Steele is 2nd Lieut with Holler as Orderly. Fine group of men that I have served with in company's or next to quite a few times. We are looking to have a 45 man company. Period and documented rations to the Fort will be served. Money will be donated to preservation. There will be a post sutler and I am working on getting some working laundresses. Let me know if you have any questions.

There of course will be guard, drill, drill some fatigue duty and some drill. You will here the proper bugle calls of the day. You also will be sleeping in the 1848 limestone barracks. Meals will be served in the mess hall (1st floor) of the that same building. The guardhouse will be the posturn tunnel which we know served as a guardhouse at some point during the war as documented by the 2nd Michigan. Everything we do there will be traced back some type of documentation of either happening at the Fort or at the very least documented to have been done by soldiers in a garrison setting.

Oh and there will be FRESH BREAD to eat which means no hardtack.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Gents,

Registration ends soon on May 10th so get them sent in! Follow the link below.http://sallyportmess.itgo.com/30mich...istration.html
          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
          Civil War Digital Digest
          Sally Port Mess

Comment

Hi gents,

This is just a follow up to those considering this event to please help support the preservation of Fort Wayne if you can attend. Jeremy has some good things planned and you are participating on the real ground as the men of the 30th Michigan did - quite a treat for us history buffs. I know several guys I talked to at the ONV Camp of Instruction will be planning to send in their registration and look forward to being in Fort Wayne. We ask if this event has interest for you that you may consider support this quality event and worthy cause.

Thank you,

Tom
            Tom Klas
            Hard Head Mess
            Citizens Guard

Comment

Below is a link to some new site photos I took yesterday. Please take a look at where you will or could be staying for this event. You will be looking out some of the same glass windows, walking on the same floors, using the same stairs, touching the same doors and sleeping in the same place as the real men did. Plus much more history took place on these grounds in WWII.

I will be on site all day that Friday, June 11th. I would love to give a tour or two of the grounds and history of the place before the event starts.

Registration will be extended for ONE MORE WEEK. It will now close on May 17th. Thank you to all those that registered. Remember $5 of your fee goes back to the Fort. We would love to have a few more of our comrades with us. I know Holler, Tom Klas and Rod would all agree.
              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
              Civil War Digital Digest
              Sally Port Mess

Comment

I for one am excited about this event. The men of the 30th Michigan have a story that needs to be told. No, they were not at Gettysburg, Atlanta or fought in any battle big or small. How neat it will be for us to sit and discuss what is going on elsewhere. Grant in Virginia and Unlce Billy marching through the Carolinas. Very different!
                If you are in the midwest and want to come out for a weekend of drill, fatigue duty, guard and fellowship send in those registrations now! Plus, on Sunday the Tigers are playing at home. Good chance to pick up a MLB game and mark that park off your list. I would rather watch the Cubs but...

So, I will see you in June!
                Nathan Hellwig
                AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Hi gents,

Time is closing for registration on this unique opportunity to have a quality event at a location that could use a little support here in the Old Northwest. For all those Michigan campaigners out there that I have met over the years at various events, please try to attend if you can. I know I have had several conversations about your efforts on having a quality event close to home and this seems like a very good fit. Help support Jeremy & Will at a wonderful location. If this is your first true higher quality event let us know and we can work with you. Kit items can be loaned to someone whom has a great attitude towards an overall accurate portrayal. Many of us are willing to help if you want to attend in your own backyard. We have guys from Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, and many other states coming to help bring the 30th Michigan alive for those coming to support the Fort over the weekend.

Thank you to all that are supporting the event and those that are taking the time to consider this event. Your backing is greatly appreciated.

Tom
                  Tom Klas
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Citizens Guard

Comment

Say Jeremy,
                    What are the dates to be 'enacted' at the fort?
                    June 11th 1865?
                    Perhaps they are posted somewhere, but I could not find anything.

Thanks,
                    John
                    Regards,
                    John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

The event is taking place in mid June 1865. For the purpose of paperwork, letters, ect June 11-13. June 11th will be the date for the local newspaper that will be sold at the sutler.
                      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                      Civil War Digital Digest
                      Sally Port Mess

Comment

This will be fun, and with no lack of topics for discussion, especially politically and socially.
                        Regards,
                        John Raterink

Comment

Post Lincoln and beginning reconstruction.
                          Plenty to argue about, that is for sure!
                          Especially in Detroit.

Looking forward to a fun event!
                          John
                          Regards,
                          John Raterink

Comment

Say Jeremy,
                            Please forgive the oversight if I missed it, but I imagine we need to bring some rounds, correct?
                            How many would you recommend?

Added thought: What arsenal would be practical for labeling?

Looking forward to it.
                            John
                            Regards,
                            John Raterink

Comment

This was just e-mailed out. If you are registered and have not received an event communication please let me know.
                              Gents,

Please bring just a few rounds for this event. No promises if you will need them or not but just in case. If you can bring eating utensils that might be more appropriate for garrison. Such as plates and/or bowls with normal fork, spoon and knife. In other words lets limited the use of canteen halfs and eating out of fry pans in the mess hall. Remember to bring some money to exchange for chits to use at the sutler and the laundress. Maybe bring an extra dirty shirt too. If you have a bed sack bring it. If you do not bring an extra blanket. I am having 6 more made up for the event but there will still a be limited number of bed sacks (about half the bunks). sleeping on the wood is not to bad though, better then the cold ground, and a extra blanket under you helps even more. Tours of the Fort will be offered on Friday before we get started and one right after the event ends. My tour should take about 60-90 minutes depending on questions and how fast we are walking. Also, do not bring a camera to be used during this event. If you even have one it is to only be used before and after. If anyone needs to borrow gear to meet the standards make sure you are in contact with someone now. I am really looking forward to living 1865 with 30+ men with quality impressions.

Now for some more firper info to help get you all more familiar with the state you will be representing. The below info is also attached for possible easier reading.

Cities

Detroit, Wayne County– just north

Springwells, Wayne County - outside the fort

Hillsdale, Hillsdale County – far southwest

Port Huron, St Clair County – north

Flint, Genesee County - northwest

Pontiac, Oakland County – northwest

Jackson, Jackson County – west

Ann Arbor, Washtenaw County – west

Windsor & Sandwich – across the river in Canada

Waterways

In order of travel from south of Detroit north

Lake Erie

Detroit River – runs just outside the fort

Lake St Clair

St Clair River

Lake Huron

Roads
                              Gratiot Turnpike – Ran from Detroit to Port Huron

Chicago Turnpike – Ran from Detroit to Chicago. Clinton Inn and Walker Tavern were stagecoach stops along the way.

Railroads

Only about 1000 miles of track in Michigan in 1865

Michigan Central Railroad – Ran from Detroit to Chicago

Southern Michigan Railroad – Ran from Lake Erie to Lake Michigan

Detroit & Pontiac Railroad – Ran where its name states

Grand Trunk Railroad – Detroit to Port Huron

Politicians

Austin Blair is Michigan's Governor until January 3, 1865 when Henry H. Crapo takes office.
                              Govenor Crapo's Lt Govenor was Ebenezer Grosvenor.
                              Zachariah Chandler and Jacob Howard are Senators.
                              All were Republicans.

Newspapers

Detroit Free Press

Detroit Advisor and Tribune

Pontiac Gazette

Michigan Argus

Officers

Regimental Headquarters is in Fort Gratiot just north of Port Huron

Colonel Grover S Wormer

Lt Colonel John D. Sumner

Major Samuel E. Graves

Surgeon John Willett

Asst Surgeon Theron Hubbard

2nd Asst Surgeon Owen Ellison Jr

Adjutant Jerone Turner

Quartermaster William Wade

Company G Captain George Douglass

Fort Commander Lt Colonel DeLancy Jones, 19th Infantry
                              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                              Civil War Digital Digest
                              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X