• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "A Sharp Little Fight" Oct 8-10, 2010

“A Sharp Little Fight” October 8-10, 2010 aka the Battle of Unison

Date: October 8-10, 2010
    Name: A Sharp Little Fight
    Sponsor/Host: Valley Light Horse and 1st Maine Cavalry
    Capacity: 50 Federal infantry, US and CS cavalry, and CS mounted artillery unlimited, no CS infantry

POC: Federals: Tom Craig, Confederates: Todd Kearn, Website: Jerry Todd
    Email: Tom Craig: tom.craig@ymail.com,
    Todd Kearn: valhallastables@earthlink.net

Preservation component: All money from participant registration beyond costs will be donated to the Snickersville Turnpike Association, and historic Welbourne Manor preservation.

Notes: This event portrays the skirmish that took place in and around Unison, VA in November, 1862 as part of the Fredericksburg campaign. The event is a mobile event that begins in the small village of Philomont and will conclude at historic Goose Creek Bridge in Middleburg, VA. The march route is approximately 12 miles, with only a quarter mile of the route being paved. Skirmishing will take place in the exact locations where the historic battle took place, and the entire event takes place on the original, and largely pristine ground.
    The event will be physically demanding due to the distance being covered and the rolling nature of the terrain. Standards for the event will be high and will be enforced. First person will be strongly encouraged.
    Tom Craig

Re: "A Sharp Little Fight" Oct 8-10, 2010

Here is a picture from last year's event.

[IMG]file:///Users/teacher/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
    Attached Files
    Jerry Ross
    Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
    Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Here's another that Jerry Todd sent me:
      William L. Shifflett
      Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

All,
        With the 150th coming up we're looking to expand this event to a Aldie-Upperville theme and to include CS infantry and a mounted gun. If any unit commanders are interested contact me here or at mhslax35@aol.com
        William L. Shifflett

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Hey all,
          Just wanted to send a wake up call to any of you out there on the fence for this event. It's coming up in about a month, and it is shaping up to be the best edition yet! We've got a bunch of Federal cavalry and infantry, and we could use some fellas in grey to ride against. If you are interested in coming, let me know. We'll be taking next year off, so if you want to do this event, the time is now!

Take care,
          Tom Craig
          1st Maine Cavalry
          Tom Craig

Comment

All,
            We are considering adding CS infantry for this year to balance the numbers. Interested parties send me a PM.
            William L. Shifflett

Comment

Bump. Bump. If we can get enough interest Skip Owens will command CS Infantry.
              William L. Shifflett

Comment

Come on guys, this event and location is about as good as it gets here in the east. With the CS infantry now a viable option, there should be no reason to hold out! A true combined arms operation, with lots of marching, lots of fighting on original PRISTINE ground is what we are talking about. What more can one ask for? Come to Virginia for the weekend and find out for yourselves.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Gents this weekend is the event. Have had a couple interested parties in portraying some convalesant/ homeguard infantry types. Again on the CS side there were only Cav units, we are researching a senerio, but it will be fun none the less. Those coming this weekend please let me know via my personal email below. See you at Welborne!

thanks,
                  Skip
                  [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                  [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Working...
                  X