Franklin- 2 weeks away!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin- 2 weeks away!!!

Well the registration deadline has come and gone. I'm going to work on the list on Saturday for any that mailed it out today. Be one the lookout for announcements about officers and NCOs of the company. I will also have the registration list split for the respective sides.

Eric Jacobson, Author of "For Cause and For Country" (which frankly gives Confederacy's Last Hurrah a run for it's money on the best book on the Campaign) will be our Guide for the weekend. I am more than impressed with his knowledge about Franklin and certainly hope you all enjoy this aspect of the tour.

In Preservation News. I wanted to let you guys know that no, we are NOT the most important thing going on at the Carter House or Carnton that weekend. The property that was part of the Carter Family Garden was purchased several years ago, and that Saturday at 2pm the Battle of Franklin Trust will be unveiling the property to the public. Several weeks ago Eric took myself and the others on the Event Staff on a walk through and we were blown away at the rise the Carter Property sits on. This is a HUGE step in the fight to get more key parts of the battlefield back!

The remaining money for the weekend will be donated to the Civil War Preservation Trust in an effort to help them meet their quote for the Holt House. For those that are familiar with the area, this is the tan color house to the left of the Mexican Grocery and Dominos Strip, or as historians would know it, a part of the Cotton Gin site. According to the CWPT "This also means that any gift you make today will be multiplied by these many matching sources by a factor of 6.33, turning every $1 you give into $6.33!". If you would like to donate more money, we will be passing the hat on Saturday as well. If you can't attend the event, but want to be part of this donation, contact me via PM.

Check out the CWPT site on Franklin for great maps as well http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields...franklin-2010/

Hopefully all of you are reading up on your history. This is a great experience and I hope all walk away happy. I have personally been blown away by the amount of interest this event has received and am looking forward to seeing all of you soon.
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 04-01-2010, 10:23 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Franklin- 2 weeks away!!!

Bump this...because it's all pretty important!
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Independent Rifles
    Swamp Angels
    Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Patrick:

Thanks for the update...several of us here in Texas pooled our funds and sent in some money to the CWPT to help buy more land. Not tooting our horn, just lettin you know there is interest here in the Lone Star State for Franklin preservation.

I have both books you mentioned, would not give up Wiley Swords book, but Eric's is a great un-biased read! Look forward to meeting Eric Jacobson, if I get the chance.

Thanks for the work in setting this up!

Kevin Dally
      Kevin Dally

Comment

Just to toss my two-cents in on this, I hope all who can will attend and take advantage of what Patrick is doing here. He unselfishly pitched in and helped Ken Knopp and the rest of us with the acquisition of rations and other logistical things to make our Cavalry Camp of Instruction such a bit success last weekend at Carnton. We, of the 4-legged persuasion wish you only the best. Also, you should definitely be in for a treat to have Eric J. involved with your event. Last year at our COI, on sunday afternoon after the event was over, he took about twenty of us on a private tour of Carnton. Suffice it to say that if you think he has a good command of the written word.........you should have him as a private tour guide. It literally left some of the men in tears!

You are all in for a treat.

My best in your efforts,

Mark
        J. Mark Choate
        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

DesRochers, Brian Independent Rifles
          Stacy, Chris Independent Rifles
          Brousard, Jason Independent Rifles
          Gibson, Tyler Independent Rifles
          Hughes, Jerry Sr Independent Rifles
          Critel, Mitch Independent Rifles
          Morris, Justin Independent Rifles
          Noble, Brady Independent Rifles
          Pope, Juston Independent Rifles
          Dykes, Russ Independent Rifles
          Dykes, Earl Independent Rifles Guilt by Association
          Thompson, Jeff Independent Rifles
          Woodburn, Matt Independent Rifles
          Lehman, Chuck Independent Rifles
          Joyce, Marshall Independent Rifles
          Wrinn, Chad Independent Rifles
          Chastain, Brian Independent Rifles
          Kilpatrick, Rocky Independent Rifles
          Latham, Ken Independent Rifles
          Taylor, Mark Independent Rifles
          Taylor, Chris Independent Rifles RECRUIT
          Kasmar, Andrew NA
          Dally, Kevin 7th Texas
          Walker, Joe 7th Texas
          Wilson, Kevin 7th Texas
          Bloyd, Chris 7th Texas
          Brown, Preston 37th Tennessee
          Brown, Chip 37th Tennessee
          Dimaiolo, Tony 37th Tennessee
          Bigley, Mark 37th Tennessee
          Maddox, Brian 37th Tennessee
          Duncan, Jon 37th Tennessee
          Kersey, Ken 37th Tennessee
          Kersey, Sam 37th Tennessee
          Moran, Nathan 37th Tennessee
          Collins, Ross 37th Tennessee
          Collins, Joseph 37th Tennessee
          Davidson, Dale 37th Tennessee
          Skemp, Sam 37th Tennessee
          Davis, Matt 1st Tennessee
          Schoendorf, John 1st Tennessee
          Collins, Jonathan 1st Tennessee
          Boaz, Bart 1st Tennessee
          Hoover, Mike 1st Tennessee
          Vernon, Kaelin South Union Guards
          Kelly, Cliff South Union Guards
          Harris, Jon South Union Guards
          Potter, Heath South Union Guards
          Phillips, Tim South Union Guards
          Barr, Whit South Union Guards
          Manire, Johnny South Union Guards
          Gangler, Joseph Flatlanders Mess
          Graber, Casey Flatlanders Mess
          Hebert, Travis WIG
          Orrand, Robert 51st Tennessee
          Raterink, John Delmonico Mess
          Robinson, Lewis Armory Guards
          Roberts, Jordan Armory Guards
          Corbin, Tripp Armory Guards
          Thomason, Kiev Armory Guards
          Mellville, Robert Armory Guards
          Coats, Herb Armory Guards
          Boyd, Philip Armory Guards
          Saye, Robert Armory Guards
          Perkin, Frank 9th Kentucky
          Muehleisen, Robert Furious 5
          Walsh, John Furious 5
          Garbus, Mike NA
          Susnis, Mark Mess #1
          Farley, Darren Pumpkin Patch Mess
          Runyon, Justin Pumpkin Patch Mess
          Patrick Landrum
          Independent Rifles

Comment

Above please find the current registration list. I added a few who have emailed or called theirs is "en route". A reminder, there are no walk ons. Previous arrangements can be made if you just had a schedule clear in order to come to the event. Contact me ASAP. A broken down registration list will be posted soon with Federal and Confederate listed as well information for registration process etc.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

My personal thank yous to all the men listed on this pre-event roster. Whether you show or don't your contribution, in word, deed, or monies transfer is MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank you also to those tho donated and continue to donate in response to the poking and prodding of folks determined for preservation. I pray that this wildfire grows.
              Last edited by Jon The Beloved; 04-03-2010, 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
              Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
              Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
              ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
              ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
              ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
              ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
              ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Looking forward to it. Have been getting blanks for my spencer out together. Should have plenty for the event.
                [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I encourage any of you to make time to listen to the 1864 Middle Tennessee Campaign's premier storyteller and longtime Carter House director Thomas Cartwright's tales from the field. Here's an audio interview he did recently. There's enough there to wet your whistle and then some! Of course, I am looking forward to hearing Jacobson's now-seasoned guidance and storytelling as he makes the stops with us. Honestly, haven't given him much of a chance since he arrived in town, but he's giving us a chance, so here's to his leadership and direction. God knows he and others have done some groundbreaking work to streamline and promote local Civil War preservation. But yeah, do give Cartwright's proven voice a listen..

*Interview*
                  Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                  Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                  ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                  ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                  ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                  ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                  ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Jon the Beloved,

Thank you for providing a link to my recent interview with Thomas Cartwright. It was an awesome experience interviewing him.
                    Mike Noirot
                    Saint Louis, Missouri
                    [url]http://ThisMightyScourge.com/[/url]

Comment

Ahhhh Franklin! As young tykes would say..."Just one more sleep" 'til things kick off. Local weather shows a decreased chance for rain. (Not that that would stop us!) High temp for Saturday afternoon is 69 degrees. A premiere time awaits for all who plan to attend!

When John Bell Hood attacked on that late November day, period newspaper accounts put the tempurature between 55 and 60 degrees. The sky was sunny and clear. As the long line of Johnnies advanced toward the Federal defensive position, Surgeon G.C. Phillips / 22nd Mississippi noted, "Our forces advanced in three lines of battle, apparently about three hundred yards apart. Our bands played 'Dixie', 'Bonnie Blue Flag', and 'The Girl I Left Behind Me'. This was the first and only time I ever heard our bands playing upon a battlefield and at the beginning of a charge."
                      John Marler
                      Franklin, TN

Comment

Thanks for posting that link, Jon. That was a good interview, a good way to get even more primed for this event. I hope it is a rousing success to raise money to preserve/reclaim this key battefield, and to raise awareness/educate and enlighten the public, and encourage them to start beating the drum and perhaps raise a little money as well! Plus, from a personal level I am very much looking forward to our interaction with Mr. Jacobson and increasing my own understanding of events and experiences on that fateful day. Safe travels to everyone descending on Franklin this weekend.
                        Travis C. Hébert
                        -------------------------
                        Armory Guards / W.I.G.
                        ACWRT,GBA,CWT
                        -------------------------
                        "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

Great quotes regarding the battle at Franklin. All from David Logsdon's excellent compilation, "Eyewitnesses at the Battle of Franklin", (Kettle Mills Press / 2005).

Lt. Wm O. Mohrmann, 72nd Illinois, Strickland's Brigade: "We arrived about 8 in the morning, hungry and tired out, half dead with want of sleep. We drew rations, made coffee, were given an allowance of whiskey - ominous sign - and then set to fortify. I showed my men where to dig a line of small pits and when the bright sun warmed up the side of a stump I located my headquarters right there and fell asleep at once."

This is MY impression for the event! What a guy. March into town. Get food and booze. Tell the underlings where to dig. Take a nap. And, Mohrmann's "nap"...lasts until 2pm!

Captain Joseph Boyce, 1st Missouri, Cockrell's Brigade, French's Division: "In clear ringing tones came the final commands: 'Shoulder arms! Right shoulder shift arms! Brigade forward! Guide center! Music! Quick time! March! ...Our brigade had one of the best bands in the army. It went up with us, starting off with 'The Bonnie Blue Flag,' changing to 'Dixie' as we reached the deadly point...and continued (playing) until the enemy's batteries began to rake our line."

Captain James A. Sexton, 72nd Illinois, Strickland's Brigade: "I recollect seeing one man, with the blood streaming down his face from a wound in the head, with a pick axe in his hands, rushing into a crowd of the enemy and swinging his pick..."

W.A. Keesy, 64th Ohio, Conrad's Brigade: "On our right the artillery teamsters stampeded. The ammunition went with the teams and caissons, and the gunners took picks, shovels, or anything at hand...defended their guns."

John M. Copley, 49th Tennessee, Quarles' Brigade: "...I now, for the first time, discovered that my left arm, from the shoulder to the hand, was covered with the blood and brains of some one. My haversack and canteen had been shot away; my clothing well perforated with minie balls, but my body untouched."
                          John Marler
                          Franklin, TN

Comment

John,

Where did you find the Coplay quote, thats an eye opener. Have a good time this weekend. When is the next L/H at Franklin we have to get the Skulkers together sometime.

Cheers, Ken
                            Ken Irvin

Comment

Gentleman, I would like to wish everyone safe travels and a great weekend. I will not be joining you all. My mother was placed in the hospital this week, again. This time however they really took it serious. She has about 55% blockage in her heart, and they went in today to take care of that. My thoughts and heart are with you this weekend. God's speed to all.
                              Robert
                              Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X