Franklin LH Highlights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin LH Highlights...

Just a fantastic time all around. If ever you get the chance to attend an event put on by these guys; do it. The ration issue, artifacts shared, and obvious care taken in planning the weekend all added up to a very enjoyable time. And yes, the weather could not have been better.

Things that stood out in my eyes include; the civilian effort, (well done and very much a part of the Carter House story from 30 November 1864), the turnout, (a goodly number of quality impressions), the official "opening"of the Carter garden property, (which includes a portion of the Federal trench line), and of course the shared camaraderie.

Perhaps the image that is most prevalent in my mind is the exchange of gunfire at the Carter House site. A large contingent of Johnnys did their best to demonstrate to the public a decent rate of fire from their ranks. But, the returned fire from about 7 Yanks with Henry Rifles more than matched the Southern effort. I had not previously seen this many repeaters in action at one time and needless to say, I was truly impressed.

Thanks to all who made this past weekend possible!

Cheers!
    John Marler
    Franklin, TN

Re: Franklin LH Highlights...

John,

Sounds like a great event. Any photos of said event for those who could not attend?

Ken Irvin
    TSM
    Ken Irvin

Comment

Some coverage of Saturday's events at the Carter House.

Blogging since 2006. Now using ChatGPT technology to breathe new life into the story.

BTW, if anyone wrote down the names of the metal treatments that Matt Woodburn discussed when passing around the items Saturday, can you post that here? I got the Renissance Wax, but didn't catch the name of the solution to remove rust without damaging the bluing/browing. Thanks!
      Travis C. Hébert
      -------------------------
      Armory Guards / W.I.G.
      ACWRT,GBA,CWT
      "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

I just wanted to say that I had an awesome time this weekend.The part I liked was getting to hold the relics that were ID to the battle of franklin.
        Brian Maddox
        37th Tn Co H

Comment

No doubt, Brian! Highest praise to Matt Woodburn for his willingness, and trust, to give us the great opportunity to examine and handle the fantastic artifacts associated with this battle. Each was amazing in its own right, but my 'top pick' had to be General Cockrell's kepi - for me, that was a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing, and I want to thank him for allowing us that chance to come closer to the events of that battle through the objects that were used there.
          Travis C. Hébert
          Armory Guards / W.I.G.
          ACWRT,GBA,CWT
          "Flag taking was pretty well knocked out of me" Lt Wm. Pennington, 6th Wisconsin, Co. I

Comment

Gents,
            I must agree with the above posts! I had a great time at this event and as we marched it gave me a much needed and new perspective of the Franklin battlefield. Matt's relics truly enhanced this experience and holding General Cockrell's kepi was truly amazing! To spend such a great Saturday with old friends, and making new ones along with such an effort for preservation was a real pleasure, thanks to all for their hard work and effort!
            [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Tony DiMaiolo
            37th Tennessee
            Hard Case Boys[/FONT]

Descendant of Pvt. Samual Goodfellow 9th New Jersey Volunteers "The Muskrats"

Comment

I too would like to thank Pat and all the others for making the event possible. Thank you Matt for bringing some of your fantastic collection out for us to see and touch. After Backwaters, it was a real treat to be able to attend a nice living history like this where I was able to really learn something about such a special time in our history. The more times I'm able to travel to the South, the more I fall in love with it. And a last big thank you to my partner John, who transported an out of work freeloader like myself to the event, and made it possible for me to go.
              Frank Perkin

Comment

Thanks to Landrum and everyone who made this event possible! This event was much more than I had expected and was a real treat. Woodburn, thanks for sharing your relics. Its not every day that a collector shares their knowledge and artifacts with a bunch of dirty reenactors.

I had a great time! My apologies for leaving on Saturday evening. I wasn't feeling too great. I'm better now, though.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

This was another one of those events that really offered some solemn moments.
                  From sitting on the porch of Carnton where 5 CS Generals were laid and viewing the cemetary that the McGavock's had buried the fallen, to viewing the bloodstained floors of the mansion where a family homestead was quickly turned into a place of untold suffering as surgeons went to work to salvage the wrecked bodies, to sleeping on the ground at the Carter House where many, many men on both sides took their final earthly rest, and finally being able to stand on the Hallowed Ground and fire a volley or 2 where the CS was actually standing in the Garden on that fateful day in Nov 1864.
                  And, lastly, to handle the physical items that men wore when taking part of that tragic day. There is an eery feeling when handling a weapon that more than likely sent someone to their grave near the spot where you are at, or holding the Kepi of a man long since died.

It was these moments where rememberance of those that fought and died for their convictions makes me think about why I love this hobby so much, and how foolish it is to even remotely consider that my feeble attempt to re-create history can ever scratch the surface of the horrors of those years.

Thanks Pat and the IR for providing the opportunity for this soul-touching event.
                  Regards,
                  John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

I registered for this event because of the historical importance to the War and to me personally. No one from my unit was going, so I was truly an independent. I was made to feel at home right from the beginning. Everyone was welcoming and helpful. I appreciate all the help and camaraderie that came my way this weekend. I knew my kit was fairly good, but I observed at breakfast so many things I need to improve. I truly wanted to use this as a learning experience.
                    As others did, I cannot thank the organizers enough. It was an unique experience that I may never get to have again. Sitting on the porch listening to Eric, sleeping on a spot that some soldier may have been wounded or died on, touching a general's kepi, having a private long tour of Carnton and Carter, etc. The volleys at the Garden were spot on, to me. And to be able to volley on sacred ground - wow.
                    On a personal note, one of my ancestors was wounded at the Cotton Gin. As we were standing listening to Matt and seeing his artifacts, I felt a moment knowing he stood and fell somewhere close to where we stood. He was Sgt. Mike Morris, Co. C, 49th TN. Later in the day, at the Carter House, I had to take a moment. Another ancestor, Capt. Jeremiah Batts, Co. F, 11th TN was killed there. If it were not for this event I would not have been able to feel that. Thanks to all involved for a truly important Living History.
                    Robert Orrand
                    N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
                    Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
                    4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

I want to say thanks to everyone who worked on the event and eveyone who came. You see, no matter how much work and planning goes into an event, if no one comes, it was all for nothing. So all of you who came made the work worth it. I may have had the most fun because I got to share my "toys" with guys who know what they are and appreciate them like I do. Thanks for the kind words guys. I enjoyed the event immensely and could not have asked for a better group of guys to spend a weekend with.
                      Matt Woodburn
                      Retired Big Bug
                      WIG/GHTI
                      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

One of the main things i wanted to do at Franklin is to learn. I discovered that I was the only one using a canteen half, and envied the fine skillets I saw. I know the admonition against cold-handle skillets not being period, but i wonder what anyone thinks of this skillet? http://jas-townsend.com/product_info...roducts_id=103
                        Also, one enterprising soldier had what I would define as a salt pork wallet. Looked to be of leather into which he put his cooked rations. I would be interested in what that item is.
                        Again, very meaningful weekend, and a true learning experience. And thanks to all who helped.
                        Robert Orrand
                        N. B. Forrest Camp 215, SCV
                        Civilian Adjunct - Mayor of Dover, Purdy, Raymond, Layette, and more to come... and oh yeah Gettysburg
                        4thTN CSA - Co A - Shelby Greys

Comment

Desoto Bob,

Keep using the canteen half to cook in. It's lighter on the march, you can always find a stick for a handle, the handle doesn't stick out of your haversack, and it's not over represented. It's what I always carry.
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI
                          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Robert,

There is a fellow in Greenbriar, TN, who makes a nice skillet. I can't recall his name, but I'm sure someone will pop up with it shortly. Definitely cheaper than that "device" you linked.

Good luck with your quest to improve!
                            Joe Smotherman

Comment

If you want a more authentic canteen half, get a canteen and toss it in the fire until the solder pops. I haven't seen a manufactured half yet that has the crimped edge of a canteen. They all look like old VW hubcaps to me.
                              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                              X