Franklin AAR from one Organizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin AAR from one Organizer

Allow me a few minutes to post perhaps the longest thank you I have ever done after an event. There were SO many aspects of this event that I personally can't be, nor should be thanked for the effort alone.

First, thanks to Russ Dykes, Mitch Critel and Justin Morris for being great partners during this event. We did several meetings and walks about this event. Most of the time it just seemed like some pards getting together to talk about the Battle of Franklin. I don't think any of us thought the event would turn out as good as it did. Matt Woodburn, who I am blessed to have as a good friend, was priceless this weekend, first for stepping in to fill a Lt position, and more importantly bringing out such great pieces from his collection.

Second, I want to thank all of the participants for the event. If you guys would not have sacrificed your time and efforts it would have been a couple of guys sitting around in funny clothes. You all really made the event come to life. Everyone, Federals, Confederates and Civilians should be proud of what we all did this weekend. And I want to thank some great friends of my family, the Caudells, for a GREAT show. Anyone that is interested, their CD can be bought here http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/PaulandKimCaudell

Next, a very big thank you to Eric Jacobson. When I moved up to Middle Tennessee in June I was extremely excited to be close to these historic sites. I was also very hesitant to swing support for the joining of Carter House and Carnton to form The Battle of Franklin Trust. All that changed when I met Eric and talked to him about the merger, the Battle and a laundry list of different topics. This merger is without a doubt the most positive movement, not just in Franklin, but perhaps the History Community for our treasures that are historic sites. I went into this event planning thinking of Eric and his staff as people that work at two places I am drawn to for the stories, and walked away considering him and John Marler two great friends. Sooner or later, I hope we can all go grab a good beer and look forward to hopefully years of good discussion and some great events at Battle of Franklin Trust's sites.

Last, I need to thank my wife, Elizabeth. All the work that goes into events pretty much boils down to time away from her. The time I spend on the phone, on the computer or in the field talking about events is time I could be with my wife. This was the first of hopefully MANY events we work on together, but I thank God the woman I married has patience for my idiotic ways. I can't tell you of one single time since we moved up here that a trip from our home in Thompsons Station to Franklin, if it was to go eat, go to a movie or Costco that we didn't end up in the Carter House back yard. If she had a dollar for every minute she's listened to my long, talks about who did what and where at Franklin then she wouldn't have to work, and honestly neither would about 4 generations of our family! Between the sewing, the reading and the communication for this hobby, most other women would just be driven nuts, but when I said we were doing something at Franklin she jumped at the chance to tell the civilian story. Thanks honey for putting up with me.

In closing- stay tuned for future events at Franklin. There will be opportunities, some large and some small, at the sites. I can't guarantee I can recreate this last weekend, but it will be interesting.

See you all in the field!
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 04-19-2010, 09:48 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Franklin AAR from one Organizer

Big thanks to the military organizers - members of the Independent Rifles for making this happen. Your hard work and dedication is very much appreciated. I am thankful to have a connection with a military group that enjoys working WITH civilians rather than treating us as the “side dish to the main course”. There are two sides to the battle of Franklin of equal importance that should be represented: one being the military and the other the civilians. Thank you to my husband, Patrick for the long hours of researching (and his patience) and planning our involvement at the Carter House. I think it is fair to say that we make a great team!

A special thank you to Mr. John Marler for all of his help in preparation and generating idea’s for the civilian side. He is a wealth of knowledge on the battle of Franklin and both the Carter House and Carnton. I’m looking forward to planning future civilian events with his guidance and input!

I believe that I can speak for all the civilians involved this past weekend in saying that this was a great success. We really enjoyed visiting with each other, the military interaction, the garden property unveiling, and of course, the Caudell’s performance Saturday night! I’m hoping this is just the beginning of our participation at the Carter House and at Carnton since the new merge. Thank you to Carrie Craddock, Christen Heilman, Trish Hasenmueller, Rebecca Jordan, Christy Toth Smith, Meagan Wuest, and Paul & Kim Caudell for planning, participating and making this happen! Hosting an event at a location for a first time is a bit stressful/intimidating, but I was very thankful to have these ladies (and gentlemen) involved! I overheard quite a bit of positive feedback from spectators and the military about our contribution. That’s always a plus.

Truly awesome event!
    Elizabeth Landrum
    IR Team Mom

Comment

Thank you both for making it possible for us to have such a wonderful day in the back yard of the Carter House! It was great to be in such good company on such a beautiful day and to be able to contribute in a small way to the preservation effort.

Trish Hasenmueller

Comment

Thank you for the Beans and Cabbage ladies. Also for the Apple at just the right time!
        Frank Perkin

Comment

Originally posted by unclefrank View Post
          Thank you for the Beans and Cabbage ladies. Also for the Apple at just the right time!

You're most welcome Frank! I know the beans were a bit hard, but we had to soak them before cooking and there were not enough hours in the day before you guys arrived!
          Elizabeth Landrum
          IR Team Mom

Comment

Thank YOU Patrick and Liz! Can't say enough for your efforts and time spent. You took a great idea, saw it to fruition, and put on a "top-shelf" event. One, I hope, that will be followed by many, many, more!

Cheers!
            John Marler
            Franklin, TN

Comment

Working...
            X