• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Disaffected In Canada" AAR....

I had fun. How about you?
    Your humble servant....
    Sean Collicott
    [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
    [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Re: "Disaffected In Canada" AAR....

Dispite the heat and the bugs, I loved it. It's sooooooooo nice to drill with a group of guys who know what they are doing.
    Frank Perkin

Comment

I really did enjoy myself.
      Besides meeting some for the first time, thus putting an actual face to an avatar;
      Outstanding food.
      The bayonet drills were the educational highlight for me.
      This event reinforces why I love this side of the hobby, as I have yet to regret attending an ebufu event.
      Regards,
      John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

-Best time I've had at the fort.
        -Best food I've eaten at an event.
        -Great group of guys to spend a couple days with.
        -The only villain was the heat and humidity.

Thank you for a top quality, authentic event that I didn't have to drive a day each way to attend!
        Dan Wambaugh
        Wambaugh, White, & Company
        www.wwandcompany.com
        517-303-3609
        Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

It was a special treat for me this weekend . To lead a group of fine soldiers in such a great site . I turn 40 tommorow and I think that this event was my gift, : ) more later . I am beat .
          Last edited by Rmhisteach; 06-14-2010, 10:16 AM.
          Rod Miller
          [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
          [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
          A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
          1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
          1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
          1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
          1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
          Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
          1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
          Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Good.
            1. Top notch scenario. Many elements which created a sense of being there
            2. Very good event planning - Hats off to those in the Sally Port Mess
            3. Wonderful site. within 6 hours of home.
            4. Immersion atmosphere. Many very good discussions that I had and that I heard about later . Everyting from the officers disscussing women's sufferage to a washwoman apologzing for her wayword husband to a corporal proclaiming that Martin Luther was a successionist . : )
            5. research done. It seems everything had been researched right down to the chits used at the sutler.
            6. a hard working laudress that even repaired some buttons for me.

Bad
            1. Heat and Humidity
            2. Mayflies
            3. The fact that the City of Detroit lacks funds to properly care for this jewel.

Ugly
            1. The rements of animal carcasses left by the foxes
            2. the smell of my shirt
            3. a Pvt. handing me his dirty drawers during inspection
            4. Pvt. Purdue and his bowel problems.

Thanks to all for a great weekend!.
            Rod Miller

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

Gents,

I had a wonderful time this weekend taking the heat from both the sun and the fire! I really appreciated the shade when the fire was shadowed by the barracks in the late afternoon.

If this works, here's a few images from the weekend. I just put 59 images on Facebook as well.

Thanks to all who came up to Historic Fort Wayne! I'm thrilled you enjoyed yourselves! Thanks to the Sally Port Mess and especially Jeremy Bevard for hosting this one.

Cheers,

Will
              Attached Files
              Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
              Saginaw City Light Infantry
              Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
              Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
              http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
              www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Great Event!
                Fantastic Setting!
                Given the opportunity I would do it all over again. I had a great time. For those who thought that it was not worth a long drive to go to an event in Detroit - I do not regret my 8 hour drive each way for a second. If you have not been to Historic Fort Wayne you need to!
                My hat is off to everyone who made this event possible.

Brad Bodoh
                Mess #3

Comment

I had a great time even if it was a last-minute decision to go and I felt a little under-prepared! Bayonet drill was definitely a welcome addition to the weekend and the little contest we did was fun and hilarious to watch. My friend Bill Skillman as bugler was also a great addition.

My only real complaint was the scalding hot food served on a humid, smelly, hot day. I thought I was going to melt!
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Thank you to everyone who made the trip and participated in making this event a successful one. Even with the heat and humidity you all continued your duties.

Special thanks to Will Eichler and Jim Rapai for cooking in that heat and doing a fine job of it. Thank you to Pat Price for doing a great sutler impression. His craft for boosting sales was a help to the preservation cause (“That’s the last pie” or “Don’t you need some baked goods”). Thank you to Larissa Fleishman the hard working laundress. How you sat in that 90 degree heat scrubbing clothes with hands in hot water I have no idea.

Another round of thanks to Will Eichler and Tom Steele for all the help setting up and site prep. Those same two along with Sean Collicott, Jim Rapai and Pat Price for helping tear down. Two days to set up and 2-1/2 hours to take down.

Last but not least thank you to Rod Miller, Andy Ackert, Tom Steele, Holler and Scott Gutzke for being an officer and NCO’s of the 30th Michigan Co G, 1st Platoon.

The first person conversation had in the Officers quarters was outstanding. At each meal and evening we had the sutler or the laundress (once both) for guests. The conversations were always period and very interesting. Sunday morning’s discussion over breakfast about the cause of the war, southern social structure and how large/full someone’s cup of knowledge is or could be was great.

The goal was to have a well research event based on history from Fort Wayne which gave the participates the slices of a garrison life experience. It seems to have been a success!

In the end $335 was raise for the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. Plus 7 new bed sacks were donated to be used at the Fort and the bayonet dummies and stand.
                    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                    Civil War Digital Digest
                    Sally Port Mess

Comment

I liked your comments but I think that my cup is not large enough to fully comprehend it all . ; )
                      Rod Miller

A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

I really hate that I had to miss the weekend. I had been looking forward to the event since last year.
                        That whole job thing seems to get in the way sometimes.

Maybe another day.
                        Greg S Barnett
                        Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

I just wanted to say what a great time I had at this event. The site is truly awesome! It was great to go to a period fort and not have to drive 15 hours to get there. This site is a gem right in our own backyard.

The fort is really cool and you can completely lose yourself in the 19th century there. I've never done a garrison event before, but I have done garrison in the real U.S. Army and I can say with much authority that this event really captured what garrison life is like.

We had a wonderful tour of the post led by Jeremy Brevard before the event. We got to sleep and eat our meals in the period barracks--a structure I've never seen at another historic fort. We had a good drill--bayonet drill was especially fun using practice targets. Guard duty was, well guard duty--not exactly fun, but a necessary part of garrison life that was well captured. We even had a post sutler ready to provide you with anything you wanted...if you were willing to pay!

It was obvious that much planning and attention to detail went into putting this event on. Thank you Sally Port Mess for a great weekend full of neat experiences and fond memories! I really hope you are able to do another event in a year or two because we need to continue to raise money to save this fort. I will be there for sure.

J. Thomas Atkinson
                          Formerly, Cpl., Co. G, 30th Michigan
                          J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                          [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                          [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Well what Scott stated! Honestly my thanks to the Sally Port Mess and Historic Fort Wayne Coalition for a wonderful experience. I wish I could have made it there sooner but as Greg stated work gets in the way of things at times.

Tom
                            Tom Klas
                            Hard Head Mess
                            Citizens Guard

Comment

I missed some math on closing out the event. The donation to the Historic Fort Wayne Coailition is actually $360! $25 more then originally posted.
                              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                              Civil War Digital Digest
                              Sally Port Mess

Comment

Working...
                              X