Fight For Crampton's Gap AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fight For Crampton's Gap AAR

Looks like the "pictures" link, might runaway/hide an actual AAR thread, so to prevent confusion and keep them separate see the link below for pics.

First, thank you Dan, Jason, Brad, and so many I have forgotten who put the work into this. The 4 IV/Taters who made the trip from Missouri discussed and relived the event all the way home.

The Pro's:

* Site. By now you have probably seen some of the pics from this or previous events here. They do not do the site justice. Described to us as an 800 acre hobby farm with hills/knolls, woodland, riding trails and streams, it is an incredible site. We arrived on site Friday morning, perched part way up a small hill under a shade tree, and just enjoyed the scenery and breeze.

* Pics. Not a fan of cameras at events, but like a train wreck, I'm the first to clickin on a post event link to see them. I will say I never ever saw a camera at this event until it was over, and many thanks for being so descrete.

* Horse Meat. We were not issued rations friday and saturday morning the cav came by with a bloody cloth bag. Apparently, the army had just bought a horse from a civilian he had to put down. We were hungry, the meat was tough. It took 30 minutes to fully chew 6" x 4" piece, and jaws were sore before the end. Still, a nice touch, and a period experience I have never had.

* Sutler Wagon. Saturday, while moving to the Gap, we came across a broken down sutler wagon. No sign of the driver/owner, no sign of the horses. There were many food stuffs and wares on board. One member of Co. A was arrested for partaking in violation of Lee's orders. Finally, the wagon was declared abandoned, and items were shared or blindly distributed.

* Sutler Store. Ezra Barnhouse, (Beth Crabb and daughter Skye?), had a permanent cabin established just up overlooking the cross section of the gap. Many fine wares were available via period script sold in the parking lot. The meat pie was incredible, (amazing how good everything was tasting after the horse!) While many of us were in there, one asked for something which Beth apologized and stated she was to have more on hand, but the man supposed to deliver items to her was supposed to have been there a week prior and never showed. I was reluctant to break her the news, but mentioned we earlier that day had stumbled upon what appeared to have been a sutler wagon probably ransacked by Federal cavalry. I explained, there was no sign of the driver or team, and further apologized, we did partake of the leftover spoils.

* Artillery Crew. A great deal of time, effort and more sweat was spent by the artillery crew and at many times the infantry assisting to push, steer and mobilize the gun and caisson. This even included up incredible hills in the woods. My hat's off to them and those who shouldered the burden which was way beyond anything I had seen at an event except maybe a bgr or piney.

* First Person. All were required to choose a first person name and occupation from the original roster. I was reluctant, but I was wrong. It took a few minutes in the parking lot to get everyone's names down, but this event had the best, most consistent first person of any event I have yet attended. Nothing was forced, and the lack of modern speech did so much to the experience.

* "The Scrap at the Gap." The area the 12th VA was to hold a beautiful pass with towering hardwoods within and up on the high ridges. This was a position which the terrain much favored the holder. The Federals were lured into the gap, which appeared suicide on their behalf. Prior to walking into the heart of the crossfire, they were fired upon from several stories above by sharpshooters as the Federals were occupied by CS skirmishers. Once they entered the thick valley, concealed fire poured from all sides, and the 12 lb howitzer made its presence known from up the center of the valley. The yanks took casualties but pushed up the Gap toward to howitzer. I was stationed on one of the sides just in front of the Barnhouse store. When some Federals pushed laterally to our position and I lost site of the frontal push of the Federals up and passed us, I became very concerned of being cut-off, and abandon my position, and rallied up on the road in front of the store. I then saw the Federal push toward the gun, and instinct took over.... The only way out was back up the Gap to the high ground, and I went into a sprint. The Federals were withing a few yards of the gun, and I saw the only way to survive was jackrabbit behind the gun as it was being spiked, between the limber and crew, and then bounding through the thick underbrush, rippping and tearing through vines before breaking free and running up hill. It was one of many period rushes of the weekend, and the survival rush, was unique.

* Fate Cards. Fate cards have proponents and critics. This was actually the first time I had the chance to experience them at an event. My first person persona, was and I drew, a survivor card. This influenced my 'get the heck out of here' feeling as our fortunes at the scrap went south. It was further a very emotional period experience due to the consistent first person and knowing everyone's name in the company. The rue awakening was when I ran back up the gap, I caught up with Brad our Lt, and 3 men from Co. A. I was the only one from Co. C, including the five in our ambush group which had been out in front of the store, to make it out on the retreat. It was sobering, and I actually felt guilt, anger, helplessness and despondance. Not sure if it was a combination of the comedown of the adrenaline rush, fatigue, the despairing emotions and/or the inability to see back down into the valley and the welfare of your friends. This went on for several minutes, and the morale boost I felt when one of ours made his way back after fleeing up a ridge, was short-lived. Still, I shortly returned to the 'bummed' feelings, even after Maybin (Dave West) and our 2nd sgt found their way out. This would be the sobering reality for the evening......62% of our company was dead, captured or missing.

* Saturday Evening. Aside from the sobering reality of the casualties experienced and the prevailing silence and emotions, the period moments for the evening weren't over. Jason sent out great information on the 12th VA and there was more available. In reading up on this unit, it was documented these boys dropped knapsacks and blankets prior. Knowing this, and knowing the possibilty of thunderstorms over the weekend, four of us left behind our blankets, knapsacks and groundclothes. These boys packed light, moved quick and were "in rags." The evening was spent keeping a fire going, I routinely threw broken green cornstalks to create smoke to keep the mosquitos at bay. About 2:00 a.m. the thunder and lightning ushered in. Our fire had all but gone out, but in haste everyone worked to stoke and retrieve more wood before any deluge. Soon it rained, soon it rained hard. For close to 2 and 1/2 hours, everyone stood around a fire, tired and mesmerized like a bunch of zombies. Rainwater, poured off hat brims when heads turned. Richard, (Matt) donated his gum blanket to keep the finicky '42's somewhat dry. Those who had ground clothes, covered their bedrolls, and still got soaked around the fire. After close to 3 hours all headed to bed wet , including the 4 with no blankets who stretched out, and huddle up on the wet ground. It was a miserable experience for those 4, but we all pulled through. At a higher level, if I may speak for those 4, it was a highlight of the weekend.

* Humorous. Due to a bum hand from a spent ball, I was detailed to watch the weapon stacks/traps while the rest of Co. C went back to help bring the gun up to the gap. Probably due to the horse meat, an overwhelming "natural" feeling came over me. I moved into the weeds to address the issue..... All the sudden, "drawers on the floor", I was mortified to hear shots in the valley below fearing I was a sitting duck, and alone. As my pulse raised, things got worse quicker than better.... What seemed like a swarm of mosquitos, seemed to divebomb me and all my exposed flesh... and while one diverted me and drew a slap, four of his buddies hit the other sides of me. This caused a jumping, slapping, expletive tirade and things got worse. I quickly discovered in my turning and twisting, half naked.... I was standing in a patch of stinging nettles.

Cons

* Having conquered the weather and having had our lunch 'force fed' to us at the Gap the day before, we were up for a scrap to extract a little vengence. We worked to get our '42's back in firing condition
    (or so we hoped since we didn't want to fire them and tip off our position,) and headed out in skirmish order to cover as much ground as possible. We waited and waited in the hot morning sun, still wet. After a while we were reformed and marched back the direction we had come the day before. We didn't come to the event for the battle, and it certainly was not the most rewarding experience or period moment, but it sure led to some. We were all disappointed to see the company ahead of us clearing weapons near the staging area. We were approached and apologized to by a couple of the Federals in the parking lot already in street clothes who said (I think) by 4:00 a.m. all but about 10 of their guys had left. We all travel great distances to these events, and it certainly didn't ruin anyone's event that many quit before it was over, but it is undoubtedly disappointing and would have been appreciated by all, if those who bugged to have stayed to have interacted for a few short hours Sunday morning.

I'm not denigrating anyone, (actually, I have no idea who left,) but we have to understand our bailing/quitting can cause an exodus and these actions adversely impact everyone else's period experinces and put the organizers in an uncomfortable situation to explain and apologize. We are all anxious to get home, for sure. You all make a difference, positive or negative. Nuff said.

* Read. To some this may seem like nitpicking and others will say, 'you bet.' The organizers posted and even sent out great information about the units at the event. We really should take the time to read this stuff, do some research and form our impression around and understand the people we portray. The detail about blankets/knapsacks was in the mailed out documentation and would have liked to see more incorporate this into their impression. We all ended up wet anyway, and it was a benefit not carrying the extra weight, and more importantly doing what they did. I don't denigrate anyone who carried a blanket, but I think you really missed out on an aspect of the experience.

These are two minor 'con's' and no fault of the organizers. They certainly didn't ruin my event as you can tell from the many positives listed, but these hurt the experience for others and themselves.

Thanks ONV! So glad we made the trip!

Best Regards
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Re: Fight For Crampton's Gap AAR

I agree with what you said Jay. You made me feel bad however:) I read everything I got from Jason, but I didn't catch the part about the boys dropping packs before the gap (granted, I could have done some additional reading). Had I known that, I would have definitely attended 'sans baggage'. I remember the preservation march in 2000 portraying the 35th NC who was in the same shape as the 12th in October of '62 and did that event barefoot and no baggage, and it wasn't fun, but boy was it an experience.

The event was absolutely exhausting, but worth every minute. Not many people can say they did what we did hauling that gun up the side of the gap.

I'd have to say I was absolutely amazed at the partnership between Co. A and Co. C 12th VA. The first person was first rate, and it really felt like we had all known each other for a long time, especially since this was the first time many of us had met each other. Thanks to all those who traveled a great distance up north to attend.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

I hope I'm not speaking out of line, but on behalf of the artillery crew I would like to thank both companies of Confederate infantry for their role in attempting to move the field howitzer. There was no way that we could have moved as far as we did on Saturday without your assistance. Many times since I've thought of how Company A had to go up and down that hill at least four times in order to stack arms, come move the gun up, then move the gun down, and then go back to the top of the hill in order to get their equipments and move on towards the Gap. Both companies gave their all physically to help us, and every bit was appreciated.
      Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyshirt View Post
        I agree with what you said Jay. You made me feel bad however:) I read everything I got from Jason, but I didn't catch the part about the boys dropping packs before the gap (granted, I could have done some additional reading). Had I known that, I would have definitely attended 'sans baggage'. I remember the preservation march in 2000 portraying the 35th NC who was in the same shape as the 12th in October of '62 and did that event barefoot and no baggage, and it wasn't fun, but boy was it an experience.

The event was absolutely exhausting, but worth every minute. Not many people can say they did what we did hauling that gun up the side of the gap.

I'd have to say I was absolutely amazed at the partnership between Co. A and Co. C 12th VA. The first person was first rate, and it really felt like we had all known each other for a long time, especially since this was the first time many of us had met each other. Thanks to all those who traveled a great distance up north to attend.
        Brandon- Very good thought I had forgot..... the cooperation was a definite plus. Co A was a great bunch of guys and it made it very hard at times to keep FP!

Sure don't want to make anyone feel bad, (know you were kidding though!), just seems to truly understand their efforts/trials if we don't research and reach a little more, we cause ourselves to miss out on a deeper experience and understanding. I too, have missed things before. Had no idea personally, how not having blankets Saturday night would impact my experience. So the spirit of the thought is we can end up cheating ourselves.
        Jay Stevens
        Tater Mess
        Independent Volunteers
        Iron Man Mess
        Reenactor Preservation Coalition
        Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
        Lost Tribes, October 2009
        Bummers, November 2009
        Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
        The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
        In the Van, August 2010
        Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Bully for Dan and the guys who prepared for this event for weeks so we could enjoy ourselves. The CS side had some fine impressions, though we saw more of some impressions than we asked for. :tounge_sm Funny how even with an experienced garment maker in the ranks, our eyes were forever seared from the weekend...

Jay, I overlooked the part where they dropped the bedrolls. The ONV is extremely flexible in doing things per the documentation, so a quick history lesson would have gotten us to drop our packs/rolls with little complaint.

Horse: Something like a gamey pot-roast that's tough. Company A shared some mustard and tomatoes and added other ingredients for a darn good evening meal after the battle. Cutting it up and seeing this bloody hunk of liver looking meat wasn't particularily appetizing, but Co. A got going on cutting and cooking the meat immediately. Great group effort to get this done.

I had no idea what to expect from the Tater boys. They looked like some of the most ragged, worn, mean SOBs before the event even start. Great guys though, and they couldn't wait to get their chance at killin' yanks.

That abandoned wagon was a godsend on Saturday. One private had to be arrested for disobeying orders but it took everything from the officers and sgts to keep the companies from looting everything in sight. The goods in there were an amazing treat to our horse ration. After resting near the wagon, harassing farmers, and getting fattened by the good state of Maryland, we moved onward to assist in moving the field piece.

It was hard, but it was a great feeling to be working as a team in moving that beast up the hill and back down. It certainly makes you appreciate horse teams and what the artillery crews did during the war.

Being part of Co. A, we were the forward CS unit when hit. The yanks were stopping for nothing, and we had to book it to keep from becoming a casualty/captured. From what I saw, the Feds looked like a juggernaught coming up for us. The casualty rates were unbelievable on the CS side. The 12th VA was hit hard early on in the war, and '62 was just not a good year for those men. When two men are left in a company that started out stronger than your own, it was not looking good if the yanks decided to press on their victory.

The only time it felt we were dry this weekend was after the rain on Sunday morning when Co. A spent the morning huddled around the fire, trying to dry out. The wagon that had become my home- complete with carpet- had to be disassembled for the greater good of the company. A and C got our gear collected that morning and prepared to be hit by the federals who we thought were eager to press their victory...

Maybe next year.

The CS men did a great job in keeping first person. Jason Reinholz, Brad Bodah, and the numerous NCOs did an excellent job in reminding us of the different ways to, and it was pretty easy to stay in our firper because everyone was.

I came away with a couple negatives -by no means from the event hosts who did a great job organizing the event, but come on gents -I sure would hope that none of the federals who left early on Sunday were Piney Woods men. I've heard firper was laxed on the Federal side, and this is unfortunate because the event site is pristine -so it should have been easy to.

I think back of Charles Heath (RIP) who commented on us being the 7% who attended authentic events: I heard we had some brand new people to the dark (or light for whichever way you look at it) side of the hobby. From what I gather this was a great chance to see what we're about, and maybe it's not for everyone. Wearing coat from XYZ vendor doesn't make you authentic if you only go to a mainstream event to try and stand out because it just means one is trying to be hardkewl. Then again, blatantly breaking firper when there are no funnel cakes/cars/utility poles is frustrasting and a waste of time for you and the men around you who invest great time, money, and patience in trying to do things right.

The event organizers busted their butts in making this event memorable for us, and we succeeded and failed in some areas, but I'll be preaching up whatever thing is planned out for next year. Being given the reigns to 800 acres is a blessing to us Old Northwesterners so we can have our own respectable events up north. Many thanks to the men who came from Texas, Missouri, Tennessee, etc.

The dry good store was a nice suprise. To be honest, when our lost and hungry Co. A saw the federals leave, my immediate thoughts were to raid the shack for food. Just visioning the various foodstuffs that might be in there was tempting us to rush. Thanks for coming out Crabb family! I hope you come back and set up again. You're impression adds to the event.

Glad you the pics came out good for you folks! I tried to hide it as best I could and get the different actions and men of the event.

Hope to see everyone next year in Blanchardville, WI!
          Last edited by MarkTK36thIL; 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM. Reason: Grammer cause I don't count to potato.
          Mark Krausz
          William L. Campbell
          Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
          Old Northwest Volunteers
          Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

I came away with a couple negatives -by no means from the event hosts who did a great job organizing the event, but come on gents -I sure would hope that none of the federals who left early on Sunday were Piney Woods men. I've heard firper was laxed on the Federal side, and this is unfortunate because the event site is pristine -so it should have been easy to.

I can tell you that the men of 2nd platoon kept 1st person going the whole weekend. Jake, Lem, Sgt. Atkinson and I slept under the limber Saturday night. When we awoke Sunday morning only about 10-15 men were left in camp. Most of 2nd platoon stayed the night at our reserve camp.

I also heard good first person coming from 1st platoon. So, unless it broke down with 1st platoon Saturday night I thought the first person was very good. Please PM me with specifics.
            Nathan Hellwig
            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I heard very little modern talk all weekend. I did not hear anything about gear and vendors which almost never happens. There was some slipping when we were in the river but not much, just a sentence or three. Saturday afternoon when we were in the Gap the first time there were some issues with firper. But there were CS walking around us freely at that time. Along with a few other things at that time it did make it hard to stick with it. After we moved out it was back on. Even Saturday night I sat and listened to some great period conversations while I started to slip into sleep which lasted but a few short hours before the rain came.

I do wish that everyone could look past the small scale of the event and always keep in mind the larger historical scenario we are involved. In my mind other parts of the 4th NJ and Brigade were charging up with us in other locations. Even once we had secured our area I was thinking there was still a threat of more CS coming down the ridge to push us off. The better we can remember the large scenario and work within it the better we can pull off the impression of being a company, regiment, ect.

I was very surprised that so many Federals took to their feet in the pre and early dawn light. The rising sun shined on those that still had sand. I awoke wet and tired in the gray light of dawn but still willing to march and attack. I had a feeling after looking around that we had lost a good chuck of our company. I was not upset to get home early but I felt some disappointment. Even more so when I reached the CS parking lot and learned they were waiting for us. We thought they had melted away as well. I was not at IPW but I was one of the last Feds to walk out of the Gap.

Regardless, it was all well worth the 8 hour drive for me. Seeing downtown Madison, the WVM, swimming in a river and taking a cannon and turning it around were just the main highlights of the weekend. I do wish I could have done more patrols ect but my orders were to stay with the company. It was a reminder that a 2nd LT is more for admin then tactics by design of the various manuals. Anyhow, I know, God willing, the next time Dan has an event out there I will be there again ready to defend or take those fields, hills, valleys and ridges.
              Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
              Civil War Digital Digest
              Sally Port Mess

Comment

I agree with Holler. I can't speak for the whole company but we had some top notch men in my section and we received nothing less from them. I can however, say that we did engage in first person while a good three quarters of the company was swimming in the ford and it was very fun (and cold). As for leaving early, it was of my opinion that the routes we were supposed to have taken to meet the opposing force were up hill and pure mud so that would have been a no-go regardless, please correct me if I'm wrong.

With that said, I believe it was a top notch weekend run by top notch men and I am proud to say I was a participant.
                Aaron Rowland
                Prodigal Son ~ Corn Fed Comrade
                Petersburg National Battlefield

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Comment

Putting on an event is a tough call and I applaud the fellows for doing such because if folks weren't brave enough or stupid enough to do so, there wouldn't be a place for folks to play. If some folks forgot for a bit about first person, then so it goes and such things happen. If folks bailed because of rain, all I can say is shame on them and offer a bit of advice to the event folks that next time put folks so far out in the woods that they can't bail! I do know one Texas Ground Hornet drove about 20 hours to get to Wisconsin and he tells me it was well worth the drive and said he was thinking about moving to Iowa to live in Holler's attic.
                  Tom Yearby
                  Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Hi fellows,

George Bernard in "War Talks of Confederate Veterans" does mention men in the 12th VA going without knapsacks and bedrolls (pg 25). But further along in the account, during the battle, he recounts that the fellow next to him using the strap from his bedroll to tie off his wound (pg 27).

He also says during the scramble up the hill men were grabbing their guns blankets, knapsacks as they ran (pg 28).

From my reading of Bernard's account there seems to be evidence of either going with or without a blanket and/or packs.

Great time at the event.
                    Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 07-20-2010, 11:29 AM. Reason: page citation
                    Andy Ackeret
                    A/C Staff
                    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

All,

Best to begin with a word of thanks to Dan Chmelar and any others who assisted him. Planning a mobile event with rigorous physical demands is no easy task. Doing that at age 22 is down right impressive.

I came up from Conway, Arkansas, a drive of about 800 miles each way. Two other lads journeyed from Texas- each of them had 1200 miles each way. Needless to say we had some good bonding time in the truck!

The two Texicans were fairly new to the hobby- one has done three or four events and the other was dumb enough to notice a musket at his cousin's house and ask about it. As a result, he was roped into coming from Buffalo, Texas to Blanchardville, Wisconsin with pretty much no frame of reference on the hobby.

The two Texas boys hit my place about suppertime on Wed evening. We terrified the neighbors by drilling in the back yard so that they would have some basics down with regard to facings, stacking arms, manual of arms, loading, skirmishing etc. Bright and early Thursday morning we left, headed for Iowa City. Largely we were on US Highways and State Highways. About suppertime we rolled into Iowa City and there invaded Brother Holler’s peaceful home.

After supper, Holler took us around Iowa City, stopped by the stadium, and then took us up to President Hoover’s final resting place. By 10:30 that night we were sipping cold beer on his porch and plotting the next move.

On Friday we lazed around a bit- I went for a run, the lads slept late in the basement (not too many basements down south so that was a novelty for all of us). We left out around midday, picking up more stout Iowa lads en route to the event. After crushing a Dairy Queen for the last meal, we hit the site and changed up.

I had been roped into manning the artillery gun we were to capture per the scenario ahead of time but managed to secure spots for the two fellers from Texas once we arrived. As such, we changed and then drilled on the piece in preparation for taking it during the fray the next day.

By dark on Friday things were rolling. We did some marching, finally hit the bivouac and then attempted to bed down for the night. My platoon was on picket that night and my section had the 2am to 7am watch. Night attacks by at least one mounted man prior to that pretty much kept the amount of sleep for the platoon at an hour or under. Nonetheless, we were all still alive come morning.

On Saturday morning, rations were cooked, the spring was drained and in short order, we set off. CS cav dogged us most of the way and seemed to delay us at every opportunity (I’ve since learned we were pushing them hard and fast but from the musket-toting perspective, it seemed like we were inching forward at a snail’s pace). We eventually worked our way to a good-sized stream, watered up, ate a bit, and lounged. Seeing as the water was at least waist deep, our section received permission to ford over early and establish a bridgehead. As such, we shucked down to keep our clothes and traps dry and dipped the wangs in the cold water. Felt mighty fine. A bit of sun on the far bank had us dried and ready to go.

After a bit, Captain Smith pushed the rest of the boys over and we went on. By then the afternoon sun was up and working and stomping around in the low ground broke a good sweat on all of us. With a series of marches and countermarches we eventually came up on the CS positions, taking fire from some nasty looking rock crags above us. A water break was needed and after a short downtime, we launched into the fray per the scenario.

The going was tough and the Johnnies were brazen suns-of-guns but with a headlong rush we pushed them off the artillery piece, shattered the formations around the gun, and then turned the howitzer on the kerr dogs for a couple of shots.

As the dust settled, the kind, beneficent orderly sergeant asked me to head up the ridge in front of us to keep any stragglers from coming back down for a second beating at our hands. After hunkering down a hundred yards from the top of the ridge for a few hours, we were eventually relieved and sent down near the Ezra Barnhouse cabin with the rest of our platoon. First platoon, having stood picket the night before, was held as the reserve and stood down to cook.

The youngest lad, new entirely to the hobby, was sent to the Widow Crabb and managed to return with a carrot and some canned goods. All were whipped into a fair gumbo, a tithe of which was offered to Captain Smith, the rest of which was inhaled by the boys. From that point, we played some dominoes and then drifted off to sleep.

About 3am the rain rolled in. The four of us who had messed together that evening stood it for a while until the thunder started in good and the rain went from tolerable sprinkle to heavy showers. Lit by lightening flashes, we packed our things and went down to what I called the ironclad (a series of what I think were underground gas tanks from a service station joined together in a tunnel). In short order we were out cold again.

Come first light we awoke to most fellers packing and leaving. We put our things in order and then went up the hill toward the Widow Crabb’s small place and there met what was left of the company. I figure there were about 12-15 men at that point left onsite. Captain Smith indicated the war was over and as such, we headed out. I figure it was 8:30 or so at that time.

Leaving the event site, we hit the Viking Café in Blanchardville. Clean, pretty smelling, pretty looking waitress did her best to keep the coffee flowing and a good meal was had to go along with the visual delights.

We pressed on, hitting Conway short of 1am on Monday morning. After piddling around the house for a bit, the two Texans headed out. I figured they were back home by 8pm on Monday. All told, they had been on the road for almost a week.

The event was a good one. There were many fellers there who had made similar treks to the one I made to come to events like BGR and IPW. I think too that there is a need to support men like Dan for planning and undertaking these things- they are a true SOB to plan and coordinate.

Holler and his wife and youngsters were fantastic folks, as were all the hardy Iowa boys we had the chance to soldier with for the course of the weekend.

All in all, it was a fine event that offered physical challenges and a good dose of “embracing the suck.” I was glad to have gone and glad to have shared the company of the fine men I messed with and fought next to.
                      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Hi gents,

My thanks go to Dan & Terry for all the hard work to go into this event. The site was excellent and I agree with Holler that the first person in second section was pretty decent during the weekend. My thanks to all whom did their best to stay in the moment.

I hate to say it but crossing the river multiple times was a highlight as well as the bathing federals. That river sure felt good in the 90 degree heat but perhaps the sights were not all that pleasant : ). I know I lost my breath on how cold the water was. I think Scott Gutzke and the Sally Port Mess gents are still cheering anyone whom was coming into the water for a bath. A strange and odd occurrence all to its own and some fine period correct moments of federal soldiers on the campaign. What happens in Maryland stays in Maryland!

I continue to be encouraged by some of the younger members of the hobby trying their craft and doing a decent job. I know for myself that these guys will be the hobby in a few years and I look forward to their continued progression.

Although the event was not perfect and I do not wish to go over what could be improved - in the scope of things I had a good time. The rain was interesting and my comrades from second platoon did our best to weather it out. Dave Gerow, I, and another fine gent whose acquaintance slips my mind sat on a blanket and shared two gum blankets resting with our backs to each other for two hours. We did well except I could not feel by posterior within an hour. Honestly the mosquitoes bothered me more than the rain. I think I will bring some garlic oil next time we are lucky to be on the property. Those mosquitoes were even worse in the tunnel of death that we peeked in near the dawn of the morning on Sunday.

My thanks to Dan for his efforts with us late arrivals on Saturday. This is a habit of mine this year with work but I am glad I could participate. For those thinking about Perryville in October with the ONV, I will be late again but excited for this experience with comrades.

Yours in rain, crossing rivers & mosquitoes, and enjoying the elements,

Tom
                        Tom Klas
                        Hard Head Mess
                        Citizens Guard

Comment

Originally posted by TKlas View Post
                          I think Scott Gutzke and the Sally Port Mess gents are still cheering anyone whom was coming into the water for a bath. A strange and odd occurrence all to its own and some fine period correct moments of federal soldiers on the campaign. What happens in Maryland stays in Maryland!
                          I feel strange saying it but it was a highlight! Come on in!! WHOOOO!!!

Originally posted by TKlas View Post
                          Honestly the mosquitoes bothered me more than the rain. Those mosquitoes were even worse in the tunnel of death that we peeked in near the dawn of the morning on Sunday.
                          You could not speak the truth anymore then that!
                          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                          Civil War Digital Digest
                          Sally Port Mess

Comment

I figured I would wait a few days to let things sink in and see peoples reactions before I comment on the event. First off, I would like to say that I don't deserve nearly as much credit for much of the event as many would like to think. From coordinating an event this year and last, I have found that the key is getting good people to work with you, and delegate out the work. That is what happened here at Crampton's Gap. I believe I had some of the finest folks in the hobby working with me to produce what you saw this weekend. Jason Reinholz and Brad Bodoh pretty much handled most all aspects of the CS side of the event, from rations to raising their companies. An immense THANK YOU goes out to those two men.

On the Federal side of things I would like to thank Terry Sorchy, Harrison Holloway, Jeremy Brevard, and Eric Fair. Those men, like their counterparts in Jason and Brad, handled nearly all aspects of the Federal side of the event.

I would also like to thank Eric Isaacs, Dave Gerow, and Jason Reinholz. On three different weekends myself and these men each at various times helped to build, from ground up, the Dry Goods store that Beth Crabb operated in this weekend.

A person which many of you may not know, but played a huge roll in the success of this event, was Dennis Mason. Dennis served as the Federal guide and pulled the packhorse throughout the event. Without Dennis, we would not have access to this land for the event. Dennis was to one to originally turn me on to the event site. Dennis also helped out nearly every time I was on site prepping it. Dennis provided the horses for our commanders to ride during the several site ride throughs. Dennis helped in many ways for this event to be successful.

I would like to again, thank everyone who drove long distances to attend. Fred and the Texas boys, Jerry Ross (pulling his four horse trailor up from Tennessee by himself to attend for the second year in a row), the Michigan Boys, the Ohio boys, and finally, all of my brothers in the ONV who came in force!!

And finally, there is no possible way this event could have happened without the landowner, Richard Taylor. Richard is probably the easiest to work with landowner out there!!! If I had an idea, such as building the general store, and ran it by him, most often I got the go ahead with flying colors. A big THANK YOU goes out to Richard.

The only thing I would like to say about the early exodous of a good number of Federals is that is does make it tough to stay to the planned scenerio. Sunday morning when I got word from Sorchy that there was no viable Federal force left on the field, Jason, Brad, and myself came together and were forced to create a new plan on how to end the event for our remaining CS forces who were all still in the field. I believe Jay covered it very well. When something like this happens, it affects everyone else remaining at the event. Enough on that topic.

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                            CS cav dogged us most of the way and seemed to delay us at every opportunity (I’ve since learned we were pushing them hard and fast but from the musket-toting perspective, it seemed like we were inching forward at a snail’s pace).
                            Fred, From the perspective of the CS cav it certainly felt like you were pushing us hard. I would order my men to dismount and fight on foot, and it seemed like we could only get a shot or two off before your steady advance have closed the ground between our forces and I would have to have them go To Horse and get the hell out of there!! Maybe you weren't pushing real hard, but you boys sure didn't stop for anything!!

Aaron, the route the Federals would have had to take on Sunday morning to reach the CS forces entailed climbing to the top of the gap, then a downhill trail from there.

Again, thanks to ALL who helped plan, and to those who showed up and soldier in a similar fashion as those did in 1862.

Dan
                            Dan Chmelar
                            Semper Fi
                            -ONV
                            -WIG
                            -CIR!

Comment

Folks,

While not necessary related to an AAR, it is nevertheless event related.

Whatever happened with the raffle being sold on Friday afternoon by Mr. Gobtop in the "Happy Camp"? Part, I believe toward a preservation cause and a small percentage for some lucky participant. Was there an actual drawing as I think the originator was one whom bugged out early Saturday morn. I didn't see him anywhere around the "Happy Barn" parking after with the few other Feds left.

Just curious as to the lucky winner as it was only $5 I lost. Mr. Gobtop perhaps working on the sly? Just fooling as I really think him a stand up guy.

I am,
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]Brian Y. Mikels[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]"Das Paradies der Erde liegt auf den Rucken der Pferde."[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]"The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]1, February 2009[/I][/FONT]
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. 2nd Tenn U.S. (Mounted Rifles)[/I][/FONT]
                              [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE=2][/SIZE]"The Fight for Crampton's Gap"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT="Book Antiqua"]16-18, July 2010[/FONT][/I]
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. Devaney Good, 2nd Vir Cav[/I][/FONT]
                              [B][FONT=Book Antiqua]"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Coalition"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT=Book Antiqua]1-3, May 2015[/FONT][/I]
                              [FONT=Book Antiqua][I]Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin, Honor Guard[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X