63rd INDIANA and MERCERS BRIGADE 1864-1865

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63rd INDIANA and MERCERS BRIGADE 1864-1865

Look here during the coming weeks for information regarding what these two units where doing during the last months of 1864 and the early months of 1865.

We are planning on posting brief narratives of what these commands where doing during the months leading up to the events Backwater 1865 will be portraying.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: 63rd INDIANA and MERCERS BRIGADE 1864-1865

Mr. Hicks,
    Can you recommend a reading list.

Best Regards,
    Steve Boecker
    Co. A First Texas Infantry
    28th Louisiana IPW

"Too late, sir, the battle is won.”
    Richard Taylor after the Battle of Mansfield to a messenger from Kirby Smith ordering him to retreat

Comment

For the 57th GA, check out "All Hells Broke Loose In Georgia." It is a complete history of the 57th and also has some good information on Mercer's Brigade as a whole. I just ordered the book off Amazon for fourteen bucks. Not a bad investment, ecspecially if you plan on going to "In the Van" in August where the infantry will be portraying the 57th GA as well.
      Sam Harrelson
      Liberty Rifles
      Independent Volunteers
      Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Well, the best Yankee narrative I've had time to dive into is Jacob D Cox, "MILITARY REMINISCENCES OF THE CIVIL WAR," vol II chap 46-48 for specific reading.
        But I'm not not done yet.

Originally posted by Steven B View Post
        Mr. Hicks,
        Can you recommend a reading list.

Best Regards,
        Most Respectfully,
        Josh Fieldhouse

Comment

Also, for Mercer's and Co., try:
          '"Our Connection to Savannah" 1st GA Battalion Sharpshooters' by Russell K. Brown
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

There are 10 Armory Guards members signed up for Backwaters.... Skunk Ape does not count. I'm looking forward to this one and I know Brian, Josh, and Co. have a good one planned for us 'enactors.

"All Hells Broke Loose In Georgia." is a great dual event book as Sam said. I have a copy and it was "good read'n"
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

For the Federal Prespective

A good reference for the Blue side I found free on Amazon called "The 112th Regmiment of Illinois Volunteer Infantry in the Great War of Rebellion. 1862 - 1865"

Escape from the prison at Andersonville: Charles T. Goss -- Capture, prison life and escape: George W. Nicholas -- Belle Isle and Andersonville, escape from Andersonville: Francis J. Liggett. Includes "Regimental roster": pages [334]-430.

The 112th was brigaded with the 63rd Indiana for the Tennessee Campaign all the way to the Carolinas. It was written from the perspective of a Captain in the 112th. Good acounts of the fighting around Wilmington and their reactions to the local populations. The Carolina campaign starts on page 293 with Chapter 24.

On a side note for all of you going as the 63rd for Backwaters. The 63rd was camped outside of Washington from Jan. 25th to Feb. 3rd before moving down to the Carolinas. As one soldier put it there was plenty of time for each soldier to visit the city at least once. Plenty of time for a soldier boy to find some trouble in the big city.

If you are still looking for a home for Backwaters, Company B is looking for good stout men ready to defend the Union.

Jason Reinholz
              Capt., Company B, 63rd Indiana

Comment

Working...
              X