X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backwaters 1865 event registration given a 10 day extension

The event website states:

Pre-registration ends January 20, 2010.
    That is just under two weeks from today.

In an effort to get those men who are prone to vacillation to commit and send in their registrations, and to help those who are hard at work recruiting, we will extend the deadline to 31 January.

31 January will be the absolute deadline for having your registration postmarked, or in my 'in-box' for e-mailing.

For those e-mailing the information, send it to: [email] brian_hicks@usa.net [email]. Send paypal payment to: [email] brian_hicks@usa.net [email]

Those using postal service, make the check or money order out to: Brian Hicks.

Payment must accompany the registration forms.

Keep in mind, this event is a maneuver event. Each of the opposing forces will move between 12-16 miles in a period of about 36 hours.

A few of the things we are doing which we hope will make this event unique are:

1. The commanders have no prior knowledge of the terrain or routes we will be using prior to their arrival on site. (Total mileage to be covered by each column will be between 12 and 16 miles. No gravel roads, no dirt roads, and especially no paved roads).

2. The Commanders will have no knowledge on what their orders are until just before dawn on Saturday morning, when they will receive written orders from Corps HQ, along with period looking maps. At that time they will have to develop their movement plans, prepare the men for movement, and carry out their orders. They will receive additional written orders at one or two key junctures during the event, to keep everything going in the direction the event organizers envision.

Result: The opposing column will have no idea as to the starting point, route or orders of their enemy.

3. The opposing commanders have no prior knowledge of the true strength of their opposing column. The registration lists are broken down by Federal and Confederate. Each commander is receiving current rosters as they grow, but they have no idea how many people are signed up for the other side.

The web site is found here: http://www.intextlighting.com/Backwa...5/Welcome.html has the historical background on which we are basing this event, along with a brief narrative on the units we are using as our guiding impressions.

The registration form is here: http://www.intextlighting.com/Backwa...istration.html

The printable PDF registration form is here: http://www.intextlighting.com/Backwa...water_pdf.html

Registration fee is : $15.00 check or M.O. and $16.50 for PayPal
    Last edited by BrianHicks; 01-11-2010, 07:18 AM.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Backwaters 1865 event registration given a 10 day extension

"2. The Commanders will have no knowledge on what their orders are until just before dawn on Saturday morning, when they will receive written orders from Corps HQ, along with period looking maps."

Does this mean the event doesn't 'start' until dawn Saturday? Just trying to gauge when I should arrive.
    Mark Taylor

Comment

Mark,
      Not trying to speak for Mr. Hicks, but the way the events here have happened before is they shuttle us out to a start point on Friday night and we start moving on Saturday at dawn. I would suggest getting there Friday night.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Well I can say that after spending most of the weekend with Mr. Hicks and Co. at Pickets Mill and losing a dog, that is a long story but anyway... With the thawing of our froze solid canteens, and the drafty cabin that we never got above freezing in side. He Is defiantly holding up his end of everything for this event. He said not a word about anything or and number of troops, even after I asked a few questions. This is going to be an event that you do not want to miss.
        Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Mark, What Pat said. Get there Friday evening at the latest. The event planners will thank you. Trust me on that one. Not that I know anything about event planning.......
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Thanks guys. I don't want any 'insider info' (I like surprises!) but wanted to make sure I don't miss any of the action- the website states the maneuver window starts Friday, 4pm, yet they will still be shuttling until early Sat. morning. I just wanted to make sure if I get there around dark on Friday- I won't miss any of the action.
            Last edited by marktaylor; 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM.
            Mark Taylor

Comment

When events are more than 5 hours from home, I tend to take some time off of work so that I get there before the start of the event and can catch up on sleep before I have to be at work. So, unless there's a place I can crash on Thursday evening near the event site, I'll be leaving e-a-r-l-y Friday morning.

This is one of my "must do" events this year!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by marktaylor View Post
                Thanks guys. I don't want any 'insider info' (I like surprises!) but wanted to make sure I don't miss any of the action- the website states the maneuver window starts Friday, 4pm, yet they will still be shuttling until early Sat. morning. I just wanted to make sure if I get there around dark on Friday- I won't miss any of the action.
                Mark,

The bottom line:

If you aren't finished with the process at the registration table by 4:30am on Saturday morning, you will not get to participate.

The starting points for each column is miles from the registration point. We will shuttle people to those points.

Once you get off the shuttle, the 1865 mindset, operations and event begins for the individual, and the opposing units. Each command will have to establish their subordinate commands, get rolls made, issue rations and drill their commands while at the starting points on Friday (and be aware... enemy activities will begin on Friday night as well....).

If you don't make the last shuttle departing at 4:30am, there are no other methods of getting individuals into the event site.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks Brian. This answers my question.
                  Looking forward to the event!
                  Mark Taylor

Comment

Our mess voted this a maximum effort event! It was a unanimous vote - 2-0 in favor of going!

See you all there.
                    Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

20 Registrations received in the last 24 hours! Outstanding!

14 Days Gentlemen...... and registration closes.

There are about 15 registrations on my desk which had no payment enclosed. Payments must be received by 31 January.

Registrations sent via US Postal service must be post marked by the 31st of January.

We must have solid numbers to procure rations, provide for potable water, and inform the Park Service of the numbers to be on the ground.
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Mr. Hicks,

My registration hit the post office on Friday, headed your way. I sure don't want to miss this one. Now, time to get off my duff and reduce its size.:D
                        John Spain
                        4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                        "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Working...
                        X