• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIG & SCAR Outpost Style Event

When: Sept 2010
    Where: Still working on that
    Who: WIG (Confederate) - SCAR (Federal)
    What:
    This event will be more in line with the two first Outpost events held in North Georgia in 1999 and 2000 than the last Outpost event. We are currently looking at a couple of different locations. The site will determine the exact impressions and scenerio. Look for more details soon.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: WIG & SCAR Outpost Style Event

Tripp,

It would be nice to do something relating to the seige of Chattanooga set in late September or early October. The artillery range used for the 1999 dustymauga near Ringgold would be good for the north end of Missionary Ridge or Ringgold Gap.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks,

James Wooten

Comment

For those more recent to the hobby fellows like me, how did the first two Outposts differ from the third (which I attended)?
      Bernard Biederman
      30th OVI
      Co. B
      Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
      Outpost III

Comment

I like your thinking James!

Originally posted by James the Haggard Ranger View Post
        Tripp,

It would be nice to do something relating to the seige of Chattanooga set in late September or early October. The artillery range used for the 1999 dustymauga near Ringgold would be good for the north end of Missionary Ridge or Ringgold Gap.

Just a few thoughts.

Thanks,

James Wooten
        sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by flattop32355 View Post
          For those more recent to the hobby fellows like me, how did the first two Outposts differ from the third (which I attended)?
          We were fighting, and often, at Outpost 2007....not so at Outpost 2002. The Federals did assault the Confederates on Sunday AM.
          RJ Samp
          (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
          Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

The original Outpost events portrayed fixed picket lines between the two armies settling in for the winter. Both sides set out picket post to keep an eye on the enemy. They end up trading between the lines. Small patrols were sent out to collect prisoners. That was the basics of how these events went.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by trippcor View Post
              The original Outpost events portrayed fixed picket lines between the two armies settling in for the winter. Both sides set out picket post to keep an eye on the enemy. They end up trading between the lines. Small patrols were sent out to collect prisoners. That was the basics of how these events went.
              That sounds like an excellent format Tripp, count me among the interested!
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Sounds like 2010 is shaping up to be interesting.
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Hey Tripp,

Mr. Hicks gave me the heads-up on this one at Marmaduke's, sounds like it could be
                  very interesting. I will try to convince Poague to join in the fun as well!
                  Your most obedient servant and comrade,
                  James C. Schumann
                  Mess #3
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Tripp,

I found a very good description of the type of Outpost I think you have in mind. This information is taken from pages 57-58, of "One of Cleburne's Command 'The Civil War Reminiscences and Diary of Capt. Samuel T. Foster, Granbury's Texas Brigade, CSA. edited by Norman D. Brown.'" University of Texas Press Austin and London 1980.

"It is now the middle of October when our Army settles down around Chattanooga -- we occupy Lookout Mountain on our left, and have large cannon on top of Lookout -- Our line there extends along Missionary Ridge about 12 miles to the river again above Chattanooga -- Our Brigade is on the side of the Ridge near Lookout (note just below the mouth of Rossvile Gap) -- and are doing very heavy picket duty.

Every officer and every soldier has to go on picket every third day -- that is the officers in command of companies.

About 150 men are put on from our Brigd. every day -- 75 of these were put out on post at one time -- They had small ditches about 12 ft. long, and 20 yds apart with good brestworks in front -- and about 100 yds in front of us was the Yanks line of pickets, but no shooting -- orders are not to shoot.

As soon as dark comes on a single man is sent forward from each picket post about [2] 5 or 30 yards towards the Yanks, who stand [letters missing] alone --. The Yanks do the same thing. So the two armies are about 2 miles apart camped in line of battle -- ready at any time within a half an hour to march or fight as the case might be. Then the two picket lines away in advance to within about 150 yards of each other. Then the line of Videtts [vedettes] in front of the picket line --.

This is our every day business, no drilling here, -- Occasionally the big gun on Lookout turns loose, answered by some Yankee cannon nearly under it on the opposite side of the river at a place called Moccasin Bend --. Soldiers that have been marching and fighting as long as we have must be kept on the move. They want to march or drill every day, and here we can do neither, and they have established about half a mile in front of our line a place called the 'Half acre' where there [are] about 300 to 500 congregated every day.

It is a curious place, so I am told, (having never seen it). All kind of games are played there that any one ever heard of. An auction in full blast where you can buy a watch or and [sic] old worn out pair of shoes -- The place can't be described."

I think it would be very interesting to recreate the "Half acre" as part of an Outpost where both sides mingle without so called supervision.

I hope this helps,

James Wooten

Comment

James, I think that's a real interesting idea ! I've read accounts about activities that happened in the Half Acre, particularly gambling, it sounded like a pretty "greasy" place. That could be a real interesting scenerio.I've always kind of wondered where the actual location was, " a half mile in our front", would put it roughly in the Southside area, basically "da hood".
                      Eric N. Harley-Brown
                      Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Sounds like another trip to Georgia for me. I might as well get me a part-time residence down there since I come down for so many events. :)
                        Michael Comer
                        one of the moderator guys

Comment

I think I will be in.:)
                          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

2000 was fun, colder than polar bear poop at night:-). I'll be there.

Paul Arnold
                            Paul Arnold

Comment

Count me in the ranks of the interested.
                              Kindest regards,

Robert "Rocky" Kilpatrick
                              Prattville Lodge #89 F&AM

Comment

Working...
                              X