Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Tidbits

Folks,

Tripp has asked me to share some of the info I found with my reading in regards to time period of Before the Breakout. Basically the days and weeks right after the Battle of Chickamauga. Enjoy!

“The impression gains ground that the rebels will not attack our entrenchments, though the hills and valleys along our entire front are nightly lit up by the camp fires of the enemy, who were promised, on the evacuation of this place, that we should be speedily driven back across the Tennessee or annihilated. They know too well the strength of the position and our fighting qualities to make an attack. Rumors are current of a flank movement by the rebels, but it is not much feared.”

Echoes of Battle: The Struggle for Chattanooga, Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner
    George W. Rouse, 1st Lieutenant 100th Illinois Infantry

“Sept. 22nd. Up on the Rossville road the Johnnies made a charge today, but were repulsed with loss by a brigade of Regulars, [though] as a rule the Regular soldiers are less efficient and reliable than the volunteers.”

“Sept. 23rd. Gen’l Rosecrans and staff rode around the lines this morning and, as is ever the case when a commanding general appears, the troops loudly cheered. But we feel more like cheering Rosecrans’ chief of staff , Gen. James A. Garfield who planned the concentration of Rosecrans’ scattered corps, and Gen. George H. Thomas, called “Pap” Thomas by his loving boys, than to offer our approving cheers to Rosecrans himself, who, had it not been for the ability of a cool-headed Garfield to plan and an imperturbable, well-poised, clear-headed, self-reliant Thomas to execute, the Army of the Cumberland would have literally been annihilated by Bragg’s overwhelming force, in detail.

Echoes of Battle: The Struggle for Chattanooga, Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner
    Levi Ross, Sergeant 86th Illinois Infantry

“Our Pickett duty is Pretty hard. Some days we are allowed to talk & exchange Papers with the Yanks & other days we have to shoot at almost Every noise we hear. We are Tolerable well fortified & the Yanks are much better.”

Hezekiah Rabb Private 33rd Alabama Infantry

“Bragg and Rosecrans settled down to work with pick and spade, directly under each others’ guns with all their might as if preparing a grave each for the other. Bragg kept pushing the enemy’s lines in on the city until he held the river from Lookout Point to about halfway to the city and from Sherman Heights to the river above. For days the videttes of each army stood in two hundred yards and gazed at each other like grim monsters. The valley out and around Chattanooga was literally blockaded with breast works and plowed up with rifle pits.”

“For days the pickets of each army sat in their “Gopher Pits” cracking jokes with each other, while from the top of Mission Ridge and the rocky peak of Lookout went shrieking messengers of death over the heads unnoticed and uncared for by them.”

William J. Worsham, Chief Musician 19th Tennessee Infantry
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Historical Tidbits

Thanks Herb...

Here are some more tidbits from the 8th Kansas perspective.

Originally posted by page 181
    At some points the picket lines of the opposing Union and Confederate armies were only forty yards apart and the men were ordered not to fire unless pressed. One Federal soldier observed that the Confederate pickets were better dressed than he was. Both Union and Confederate forces got water from the same creek which ran between the lines. There was some fraternization across the creek. Corporal Charley Rust of Company C, arranged an exchange of newspapers by passing the papers over the creek with a pole. The trade resulted in no strategic advantage to either party. The rebels passed the second page of a paper which contained only ads and Rust exchanged a Christian paper containing no war news.
    Originally posted by page 183
    On another occasion, three Confederate officer's advanced on the picket line waving newspapers as a sign they were interested in a trade. The three officers... were greeted by Major Edward Schneider, of the Eighth Kansas, who was inspecting the pickets... Major Schneider threw some papers across the creek and in return recieved a copy of The Chattanoga (Marietta) Rebel, The Memphis (Atlanta) Appeal, and The Savannah Republican.
    From Keep the Flag to the Front a modern history of the 8th Kansas based on first hand accounts from the soldiers themselved. It was written by Bill McFarland and is available through the Company A, 8th Kansas Volunteer Infantry Reenactment Group on their webpage here... http://www.8thkansas.org/about.html4.html - Used with permission
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

“By [September] 25th, instead of being a matter of great apprehension, the average soldier would have been very glad to have had the Confederates make an attack, for we felt able to resist successfully any assault that might be made on us.”

“The pickets of the two armies along Chattanooga Creek were not more than from seventy-five to one hundred feet apart, and they were on the best of terms, and conversed frequently on various subjects. The Confederate pickets had the impression that we were pretty hard up for rations, but, in answer to their inquiries, they always found the pickets on the Union line ready to fling a cracker across the little stream that separated them.”

Joseph T. Gibson, Sergeant Company A 78th Pennsylvania Infantry

Oct 1 “It rained nearly all night; we got up to stand at arms at 5 o’clock, The clouds have passed off, and the air is clear and pure. We can see the rebel camps quite plain, and we see a force marching to the right, for what purpose we do not know. I am detailed to go with a party to pile up brush in front of our breastworks to frustrate the enemy if they should attack us. We also stretch wire along in front, so they will be thrown down if they should come up in the dark. Several of our own men, myself included, forgetting about it, have got several falls from it.”

George W. Holmes, Sergeant Company G 100th Illinois Infantry
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
        “By [September] 25th, instead of being a matter of great apprehension, the average soldier would have been very glad to have had the Confederates make an attack, for we felt able to resist successfully any assault that might be made on us.”

“The pickets of the two armies along Chattanooga Creek were not more than from seventy-five to one hundred feet apart, and they were on the best of terms, and conversed frequently on various subjects. The Confederate pickets had the impression that we were pretty hard up for rations, but, in answer to their inquiries, they always found the pickets on the Union line ready to fling a cracker across the little stream that separated them.”

Joseph T. Gibson, Sergeant Company A 78th Pennsylvania Infantry

Oct 1 “It rained nearly all night; we got up to stand at arms at 5 o’clock, The clouds have passed off, and the air is clear and pure. We can see the rebel camps quite plain, and we see a force marching to the right, for what purpose we do not know. I am detailed to go with a party to pile up brush in front of our breastworks to frustrate the enemy if they should attack us. We also stretch wire along in front, so they will be thrown down if they should come up in the dark. Several of our own men, myself included, forgetting about it, have got several falls from it.”

George W. Holmes, Sergeant Company G 100th Illinois Infantry
        I think Herb's quote is telling. Note, that the date is in September and the Federals were flinging hardtack over to the Confederates. So, the hardships of the siege and the short rations and hunger had not begun to effect them yet.

Jim Butler
        Jim Butler

Comment

I like this quote: "We also stretch wire along in front, so they will be thrown down if they should come up in the dark. Several of our own men, myself included, forgetting about it, have got several falls from it.”

Was this fairly common? Makes sense, but then (ask any of my comrades) I'm always a hazard after dark just walking near tent ropes -- so I certainly would have put the "trip" in trip wire.
          Thanks for sharing.
          Paul Hadley
          Paul Hadley

Comment

Paul, besides the well doucmented use of Federals laying telegraph wire outside of Ft. Sanders later in 1863 this is one of the few that I can recall since reading the Strayer and Baumgartner book. And Holmes' account is all that I found via ORs or letters. I am sure there are other accounts out there. It is unusual and a littel humorous. That would probably have been my fate if I was in that situation.

If anyone else knows of similar accounts regarding the Siege of Chattanooga don't be shy and post it!
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Working...
            X