Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Ya Got To Trade?

Hello,

Just started brainstorming what some interesting items would be to have on hand at the event as far as trading goes. Of course there are limitations in terms of supplies, comforts, and general equipment. But what do you plan to bring that would be correct and reasonably accessible?

Perhaps this could begin a list for everyone so that there are a variety of goods on the Hell's Half Acre Market?;)
    David Norton

Re: What Ya Got To Trade?

(The opposing picket lines were only two hundred yards apart and much fraternizing went on. Pickets called informal truces for varying durations of time and met each other between the lines. They talked of home, their loved ones , mutual friends ect… A lively trade was also carried on in such items as southern tobacco for northern coffee and southern newspapers for those in the north. When the truces were over men returned to their lines and made ready to kill each other again. Not all the pickets engaged in these bartering sessions. “ - This Band of Brothers by James M. McCaffrey)

(“They have established about a half mile in front of our line a place called Hells Half Acre where there about 300 to 500 congregate every day. It is a curious place, so I am told. All kinds of games are played here that one ever heard of. An auction in full blast where you can buy a watch or and old worn out pair of shoes-the place cant be described.” - One of Cleburnes Command Captain Samual T. Foster)

David, hope all is well. These two accounts might be a good place to start. Also being the fact that we as Alabamians, were definatley close enough to home to recieve packages, can add a dimension . So the odd delicacy from home, would probably carry some weight in trading or gambling. The "Echoes of Battle- Struggles for Chattanooga" book, is an excellent source for period accounts.

Cheers,
    Eric N. Harley-Brown
    Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I've heard peaches may show up. I like me some peaches!
      [SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"]~Phillip McClure~[/COLOR][/SIZE]
      [SIZE="2"]WIG/GVB[/SIZE]
      [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkRed"] Battle Of Resaca, Ga; May 20-22
      150th 1st Mannassas; July 21-24
      Pickett's Mill Candle Light Tour; November 4-5[/COLOR][/SIZE]

"Our youth will learn from Northern school books their version of the war; will be impressed by influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and maimed veterans as fit objects for derision...."

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]-- Patrick R. Cleburne, Major General[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:8Vqp4X7fCVIuNM:http://www.iowaflags.org/gallery/assets/conf_45th_alabama.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Green coffee beans for backy anyone?
        Bob Martin
        Company A "Chesapeake Rifles"
        Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
        sigpic

Comment

I'll have some coffee beans, that's for sure (perhaps on top of what we're issued?) Not sure if I'll be willing to trade them, however. The rebs best come with some darn tasty chew, if they want my beans! ;)
          Natcherlee I'll also come with my dice & chuck-a-luck board (the latter is on my gum blanket, so would be a disaster if I didn't have it!).

This event promises to be a lot of fun. A powerful amount of anticipation is setting in already!
          Charles Kibler
          Co. A, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          [I]"I have been up to see the Congress and they do not seem to be able to do anything except to eat peanuts and chew tobacco, while my army is starving."[/I]
          Robert E. Lee

Comment

Working...
          X