Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks to everyone that made it to the event or helped out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to everyone that made it to the event or helped out.

Once again on behalf of all the event organizers, I wanted to thank everyone that made it for Before the Breakout. We tried hard to create a unique event. I hope that everyone left the event with at least one positive experience that made the journey and putting up with the heat worthwhile.

Overall I believe we were able to accomplish most of the goals we set forth for the event. I saw a lot of trading between the lines especially after the truce was in place. I heard many folks got a chance to interact with the civilians and their unique impression. I also understand the river was very refreshing. We did have a couple of minor issues happen during the course of the event. The biggest was the forest fire that got started on the adjacent northern property Saturday night. As best we can figure this fire was accidently started by clearing of guns and the associated wadding setting off the dry leaves on the ground. Luckily the fire was easily contained to about a 200 foot by 100 foot area. Aside from some fence post no real damage appears to have been done.

There are a couple of key people that I need to thank because without them this event would never had happened. Thanks to Lewis Robinson, of the Armory Guards, for getting us the land to hold the event. I had tried to secure land in Mississippi, Ohio, and South Carolina with no success and was on the verge of giving up when Lewis came forward with the possibility of this site. A big thanks to Mr. Watters the property owner. He allowed us free use of his land and almost free reign to do whatever we wanted. He and his family have to be some of the nicest and easiest going folks I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Even the little forest fire we had on the Confederate side did not phase them. Mr. Watters was even crazy enough to invite us back.

Thanks also need to go out to Brandon Jolly for making the 45th Alabama flag for us. It looked great. Thanks to Jordan Roberts, Robby Mitchell, Lewis Robinson, John Culp, Robert Saye, Dylan Woodliff, and Ricky Jones for helping get everything set up for the event and cleaning up afterwards. And of course thanks to Jim Butler, Sean Cooper and Pete Berezuk for organizing everything on the Federal side. Thanks to our civilian ladies for providing a very unique impression that to my knowledge has not been attempted at another event. Everyone that got a chance to visit their establishment seemed to enjoy themselves. My hats is off to Mark Choate for helping to coordinate the Cavalry effort. I enjoyed working with Tom Helton on the CS side. He and his troopers did a good job. Oh and I don't want to forget everyone that came out to the workdays either. Thanks. Lastly thanks to all the Company Commanders and their company staffs for making sure everything went smoothly.

I am sure I am missing someone. I am sorry if I did. Like all of you I am still recovering.

One last thing, while I feel the event went pretty well and we accomplished most of the goals we had set, we are only human and I am sure some things could have been done better. The only way to improve is to find out what could have been done better or what went right and learn from that. The event staff would appreciate some constructive comments and feedback from the event. So please feel free to let us know what you thing went well or suggestions for what we could have done better.

Well that is all for now. Look forward to seeing you all in the field again soon.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: Thanks to everyone that made it to the event or helped out.

Thank you Tripp. Had a great time.
    Frank Perkin

Comment

And thank you Tripp... without the leg work from the WIG / AG on this there wouldn't have been a site, or support, or an event. I am glad to have been able to help.

A couple of random thoughts...

- As I understand it parts of the 8th Kansas are considering turning the Sergeant Major into long pig. I consider that a testament to my success in ensuring discipline in the ranks was maintained or lapses in it addressed.

- We planned three documented vignettes for the Federal side.

1) Trading Newspapers - three were handed out with the incentive to trade them for Confederate Papers, all three succeeded in their efforts and returned copied of Rebel newspapers and additional intelligence of value.

2) Boiling Clothes - Three individuals were given a first hand account of Corporal Rust of the 8th Kansas in which he describes his battle with Greybacks during the seige of Chattanooga. Billy Birney was one of them and he did obtain a mess kettle for the task to boil his uniform. The intent was for him to be in a state of undress in public view, however I understand there was a general state of undress at the river so it probably wasn't anywhere near the shock intended.

3) Cow Entrails - There are several documented references to soldiers in Chattanooga snatching up beef hearts, tongues, livers and other entrails that would otherwise be discarded as supplements to their short rations. We provided two packages each of fresh beef tongue, heart and liver. I know at least one heart and one liver were turned into stew that helped feed two companies on the federal side and left overs were traded for whiskey. I also know one liver was traded for some peanuts (kudos to Justin Runyon who I was told brokered the deal for his bartering ability). I didn't pick up what happened to the tongues and would be interested in hearing the result.

- I enjoyed the written messages and parley's between the two sides. I hope my interactions were up to the standard for that. The discussions around the oilcloth spread with supper for the Federal and Confederate Officers and Enlisted Staff were some of the best I've had. Although it does help we all generally know each other in those situations and have done our research about the timeframe and units involved. Thanks...

- For those who were on the recieving end of the Federal Sergeant Major's wrath, I hope there are no hard feelings because I hold none. I was doing my job as I saw it and the Officer in charge of the Grand Guard instructed me too. If everyone had been doing performing their duties properly, more of my conversations would have been more pleasant.

My opinion is tainted since I was involved with the planing and execution. But I had a fine time and great experience with it. My thanks to all involved, especially you fellows in the ranks. Without your dedication to coming and being privates there would not be this wonderful hobby for us to participate in.
      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I had a grand time. Hats off to the organizers on the property acquisition and setting this all up. It was very special to share my Birthday with you all. It was fun for me!
        It was hot but we did what Soldiers did and made the absolute best of it. One of the fondest memories I took away from this weekend was shirking my guard duty with some other pards, unbeknownst to the good Sgt Major of course and bathing in the crisp cool Etowah River. After-wards we relaxed in the grass near the breezy pasture side and dined on wild muscadine grapes. It was such a great experience that we did that twice on Saturday. We actually took an afternoon bath with Johnny's and not a ill word was spoken amongst the Men. I do believe the end of this dreadful war is coming.
        I believe some locals in canoes might have either enjoyed the review or were frightened by it. No news on that yet...:wink_smil

-The interaction with the Rebs was definitely a new and enjoyable time. The first couple of trades of goods were very tentative as the boys were unsure of how it would all play out. I want to thank Mr. Perkin of the 45th Alabama for the delicious can of peaches. It made my day. It sure was nice to get some of that Southern Tobacco as well from another young private. I hope you enjoyed the coffee!
        -Great job to Pete Peterson and his beautiful young temptresses. My Mother would just not approve of buying a young woman's intimate affections. I hope that the young red headed lass that I gave wildflowers to, will reconsider her less than virtuous profession.

-I did a little gambling and lost more than I earned. I did win some though when those Scoundrels did not have my name on their Ass after all...:tounge_sm

-I heard about the forest fire and was quite amused. I am glad it did not occur on the Federal side as I am sure I would have been blamed:wink_smil

-I hope that all that came had a wonderful time and arrived back safe and sound. It was nice to make new friends and finally meet some of you. We will see you all at the next one fellas!!
        Last edited by PetePaolillo; 09-13-2010, 02:44 PM.
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Well, after quite a bit of cash spent on gas money, registration, blunt bucks, and random kit items, I can say for the first time in a while that it was DEFINITELY worth it .

pros:
          building earthworks in the dark
          shirking picket duty with the rest of my company
          a functioning fixed camp ,complete with equipment issuances and mess gear
          mail call
          swimming in the river saturday night
          seeing the AOT kits our company had worked on all summer finally come together
          joe blunt's sutlery

cons:
          the powerlines/modern trash in "hell's half acre"
          missing the great first person interaction my pards had with the young fed. private who traded the liver....whoever you are, you impressed the hell out of my company...sorry I missed that
          the unfortunate forest fire

Even though the powerlines definitely ripped me out of first person on saturday, I realize that it was unavoidable, and I don't intend this as a criticism towards any of the event staff....only a personal observance. I wish I could comment more on the federals, but it seems that I kept missing trading opportunities with them! Oh well....All in all, I think I speak for the rest of the Independent Volunteers when I say that we had a great time! Thanks!
          Ian Broadhead
          Liberty Rifles
          " Lee's Miserables"

Comment

I appreciate your kind words Pvt. Paolillo and generous gift of flowers, it certainly brightened the camp in the makeshift vase of a rifle. Unfortuantly i did not willingly choose my occupation, however I am a alone young woman who all she has left is herself. My father raised me to become an independent woman and thinker which I am doing now. Us women do not have many options and we must all do soemthing to survive this horrid war. I am not sure hwo long you have been fighting for but being a soldier is no different than what I am doing. You are sacrificing your body and "selling" it to whatever government you belong to. Its unfortuanate but you are mere pawns in the eyes of the commanders. What kind of value is there on your and your pards head when it is mere luck that you survive each hour. My value is determined by the buyer and though it may be morally and ethically wrong i have sacrificed my dignity so that I may survive. We are more similar than you might think.

Your friend,
            Cornelia Bailey

Ok...now that I got that out of the way, I would just like to thank everyone for their openess and kindness to us. When planning our scenario we had absolutely no idea what to expect but I believe we puleld it off with dignity and deep apprecation. I was happy to say everyone was very respectful toward us. This has been an idea of mine for quite sometime now and it just made me so happy to be able to say I finally was able to show a side of the war that was clearly there, however is always cleaverly left out.
            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Marissa Glade[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][QUOTE]Abraham Lincoln once said that if you are a racist, I will attack you with the North. And those are the principles that I carry with me in the workplace. -Michael Scott[/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Comment

MANY thanks to everyone who helped out with the event. Tripp Corbin, Lewis Robison, Sean Cooper, Herb Coats, Patrick MacAllister, Patrick Peterson, Linda Nyland, Jim Bruce, Bruce McDonald, Todd Miller and many others for helping with this event.
              Here is my pros and cons from the Federal side...

Pros:
              - Tripp, Herb, Sean, Pete and Lewis (help from Paddy Mac, Pete, Bruce and Doc) were VERY kind, easy, hard-working and flexible to work with (as well as good friends).
              - I believe we accomplished the goals we set out...That was experiecing what life was on an Outpost during this window in time.
              - The men who accepted the minimum amount of military discipline that was expected (which was far less than most events).
              - The men who dealt with the terrain and obstacles and dove right into creating trails, imrpoving works, clearing out support area further and di what actual sdoleires would have done.
              - Those men that took the opportunity to explore between the lines and create opportunities to fratenize or swim or trade and interact as this event allowed.
              - Despite the gripes, I think the food situation was successful (not pefect, by successful). Why? We issued basically a 1/2 ration, then we supplemented it with boxes from home and the slaughterhouse meats. The sutler also had pies and bread (canned and fresh) and other foods. Sadly, the ants ate half of the sutlers pies before he got there. Frankly, fat reenactors in the heat really need to eat less anyways (me included in that).
              - Got some new progressive mainstream guys to come out and try our style of events. I know the terrain, food, heat may have been too much on some of them, but at least we got some guys to try it. Our hobby will be for some and some will never come back (but at least they tried it). As a result I think we made some new friends, brought in some new blood and even have some new alliances.
              - I loved seeing how well many reenactors in our hobby can adapt and not only extend their fieldcrafts skills, but also exercise more imaginative first person and scearios on their own within the confines of the event framework.

Cons:
              - The heat. I stated to the Federal Staff that "This would be entirely different event if the temps wer just 5-10 degrees cooler". Why? Because men are inclined to interact and move about and exert more when not so zapped by the heat. Men naturally do as little as possible when it is that hot.
              - Terrain. Thru two work days prior to the event and last minute walk-thrus on friday, we did the VERY best with what we had to deal with. The stretch from the Reserve to the posts was tricky, especially in the drak, I arranged to have ropes and white markers to help us down from the Reserve. Frankly, the real men had to deal with terrain issues and so did we.
              - Water. I know the flatbed was on the road. But, it was out of sight from the reserve and a short walk thru the woods. If the water had been put further down the road, then men would have bitched that the water was too far away. Keep in mind that men from the supports had to make their way up to the Reserve and then to the road for a water detail. Making that disatnce further would have been tough on them in the heat.
              - ACTING in reenacting. Reenactors need to understand that in any event (even in mainstream events), the officers and NCOs have a responibility to for not only logistical issues (water, safety, etc), but also have a duty to ACT out the role of that military leader as well. Do you really want an event where the Sgt never gets mad about (or at least ACTS like he is mad)? If your feelings are hurt because you Frack up in military first person and then the Sgt yells at you in first person, maybe you are in the wrong hobby? If we did not ACT out our parts as leaders, then someone would bitch that we ruined their experience by NOT acting out our parts properly. I believe we owe it to the reenactors who attend to bring them the military experience that was promised and that means that we all need to play our parts for the event (i.e. Sgts acting as Sgts). As reenactors we need to understand that sometimes our first person role is to play the hard-ass, but that does not mean that the person is really a hard ass in real life.
              - Ants. Forget the Yankee invasion, this site was invaded with ants (luckily not fire ants). These ants got into everything!

THANKS to everyone who attended and I hope you had an authentic and enjoyable experience!

Jim Butler
              SCAR www.scarreenactors.com
              Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 09-13-2010, 03:23 PM.
              Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                And thank you Tripp... without the leg work from the WIG / AG on this there wouldn't have been a site, or support, or an event. I am glad to have been able to help.

A couple of random thoughts...

- As I understand it parts of the 8th Kansas are considering turning the Sergeant Major into long pig. I consider that a testament to my success in ensuring discipline in the ranks was maintained or lapses in it addressed.

- We planned three documented vignettes for the Federal side.

1) Trading Newspapers - three were handed out with the incentive to trade them for Confederate Papers, all three succeeded in their efforts and returned copied of Rebel newspapers and additional intelligence of value.

2) Boiling Clothes - Three individuals were given a first hand account of Corporal Rust of the 8th Kansas in which he describes his battle with Greybacks during the seige of Chattanooga. Billy Birney was one of them and he did obtain a mess kettle for the task to boil his uniform. The intent was for him to be in a state of undress in public view, however I understand there was a general state of undress at the river so it probably wasn't anywhere near the shock intended.

3) Cow Entrails - There are several documented references to soldiers in Chattanooga snatching up beef hearts, tongues, livers and other entrails that would otherwise be discarded as supplements to their short rations. We provided two packages each of fresh beef tongue, heart and liver. I know at least one heart and one liver were turned into stew that helped feed two companies on the federal side and left overs were traded for whiskey. I also know one liver was traded for some peanuts (kudos to Justin Runyon who I was told brokered the deal for his bartering ability). I didn't pick up what happened to the tongues and would be interested in hearing the result.

- I enjoyed the written messages and parley's between the two sides. I hope my interactions were up to the standard for that. The discussions around the oilcloth spread with supper for the Federal and Confederate Officers and Enlisted Staff were some of the best I've had. Although it does help we all generally know each other in those situations and have done our research about the timeframe and units involved. Thanks...

- For those who were on the recieving end of the Federal Sergeant Major's wrath, I hope there are no hard feelings because I hold none. I was doing my job as I saw it and the Officer in charge of the Grand Guard instructed me too. If everyone had been doing performing their duties properly, more of my conversations would have been more pleasant.

My opinion is tainted since I was involved with the planing and execution. But I had a fine time and great experience with it. My thanks to all involved, especially you fellows in the ranks. Without your dedication to coming and being privates there would not be this wonderful hobby for us to participate in.
                Pete My friend
                You did a great job at being a Sgt Major.
                I was haveing a ball interacting with you. Dont ever back down at an event if you are in 1st person. Just like we did, we got out of 1st person and made sure we were not realy mad I do appriciate the act.
                I have to admit though I was trying to goad you into something.
                Do keep up the good work.
                Jim Doc Bruce
                Jim "Doc" Bruce
                War means fightn and fightn means killn.
                L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
                Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

I had a good time. I wish I had gotten away earlier to meet the "ladies" but the "Flatlander's Special Reserve" helped time slip away from me and the road kept moving which made things a bit more difficult to make good time.

My hat's off to the organizers for this event.

Comment

Originally posted by majdoc View Post
                    Pete My friend
                    You did a great job at being a Sgt Major.
                    I was haveing a ball interacting with you. Dont ever back down at an event if you are in 1st person. Just like we did, we got out of 1st person and made sure we were not realy mad I do appriciate the act.
                    I have to admit though I was trying to goad you into something.
                    Do keep up the good work.
                    Jim Doc Bruce
                    Doc, I've been toe to toe too many times with seniors and juniors in a military hierarchy. If I haven't learned by now how to stand my ground while treading around or lightly on the toes in front of me, I'd be worse off than I am. It was a good time and I'm glad you and your lads made it out for the fun.
                    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by joey12thga View Post
                      I had a good time. I wish I had gotten away earlier to meet the "ladies" but the "Flatlander's Special Reserve" helped time slip away from me and the road kept moving which made things a bit more difficult to make good time.
                      The Flatlander Reserve was something 'Special'.

Between the Gawja-Furst-By-Gawd crowd weaving from moonshine and then some of the Independent Volunteer's (my friend Jay Stevens was the one that comes to mind) weaving from the combined effects of whiskey and their wooden soled shoes, it was quite a sight between the lines on Saturday Afternoon. Some of the conversation during the officer's supper can't be repeated here, but it was a fine time of soldierly cameraderie discussing women's ankles and who had the distributorship for condensed milk in the Confederacy.
                      Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I just wish the event could have been longer. I was out there longer than most folks and 2 days is just not enough for me. The biggest downside for me was running out of whiskey saturday night. I would write a better AAR but I can't really remember much. Though I do know that liver was good.
                        Sam Harrelson
                        Liberty Rifles
                        Independent Volunteers
                        Museum of the Confederacy

Comment

Ill Agree with Sam on this one. We were out there on thur Night working and would like to have been out there longer! We made the Camp of Company D to resemble us being there for longer than a week. The Company did a great job of building brush arbors, tables, camp amenities and other looks to resemble a more permanant camp than we normally see at events. The Company area contained- chicken bones, pork bones, chicken feathers, tin cans, paper, and cedar shingles. we created a barier between the battalion street and our camp. Leaving our home on Sunday was indeed tough and I would have liked to stay out there another couple of days to really get it looking good. Also on the Works- feel we all contributed to busting out hump throughout the weekend to make them appear to continually improve. Companies D and E were out there throughout the night on friday working by candle and fire light. When time came to get up after 3 hours of sleep and man the positions on sat am the men of Company D soldiered up and carried on with their duties!

Loved the 'no mans land' throughout the day on sat! Most of the Company to include myself payed visits to the gambling arena, the ladies of ill-repute, and the swimming hole! Upon return from one of our ventures some of us found a un-attended jug of whiskey that we helped ourselves to. To me these were all things soldiers did when able, and we definately made the best of the weekend. Also the extras that we/many did- Mail Call- seeing the newly appointed LT in my company recieve a letter with LT rank braid and seeing him eagerly sew them on his collar by candle light, the fancy Kepi I recieved in the mail from a New orleans Taylor, The suprise port wine CPL stevens recieved. Then there was the issuing of garments; PVT Evans recieved his long awaited Gov Shirt and 5 of the men recieved their modest shoes out of canvas though were a improvement. Sat night with all the good that were accumulated in trade the company "cooks" made a great stew. with the addition of a couple of peppers the stew took on a great spice of a flavor. We ended the night with a band of 1 violin, 2 sets of bones, and many implement banging on various tin pots. when the whiskey ran dry we ended the long day with a hearty slumber...

My hat is off to Lt Roberts and his ability to also run a great looking, and well running company. He is the future of the leadership in this hobby and continues to raise the bar reaching his goals! Looking forward to working with him again in the future.

We were all dissapointed to see the event end on sunday; like all we have to go back to the cellphone, internet and facebook world of the 21st century.

Bottom line we need more events like this and I appreciate all that Tripp, Herb, Lewis, and Jordan for all their hard work on this event! As a resident of mecca Civil war Area it is tough to drive outside of 4 hours for a event, but the 11 i drove to this one made it all worth it! Thanks again!
                          [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                          [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

I'll put in a few words for B co. 8th Kansas. We all had a lot of fun.
                            Many in the company this was there 1st event of this type. All of them are looking forward to more events like this.
                            The company I think did a good job depecting what a soldier would have done and acted. At time totaly disrespectful to me the CO. A lot of complaining ect.
                            They did realy enjoy wondering around at 2am trying to find our outpost sites. I also got no sympathy whatsoever when I tripped and fell friday morning.
                            Special thanks to Travis Hebert for being our 1st Sgt. He did a great job.
                            Thanks to Jim Butler for being our overall Commander and putting up with us. I think a few times he buried his head in his hands and stated Why me?
                            Jim did put in a bunch of time for this event.
                            Tripp on your side also.
                            Hope to met you on the field of honor another day.
                            Jim "Doc" Bruce
                            War means fightn and fightn means killn.
                            L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
                            Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Digging in the dark Friday night with Sam Franklin, he asked me " how deep are we going to dig this thing? " I replied, " as far as we can go till I pass out." With very little sleep, we set out in the very early hours of the morning, and went out on patrols, we came upon a road at the base of a little valley hill, we waited in place there. No sign of anything other than a few squirrels. We pulled back up the hills and went back into our rifle pits. We ended up digging rather deep. The sun came up and we noticed that we went deeper than we thought we had. It was well over knee deep. When in the hole you couldn't hardly see anything on the other side. Thus was our life for most of the day. We were then relived and pulled out to the rear and held in reserve for a few hours. As we where put back in line, we noticed the lines had moved and were still under construction. We diploid into the picket line and remained there for hours. Most of our men went into the hell's half acre. I was reluctant to move so far down the hill and away from the safety of my rifle pit. after about 4 or 5 hours I was relived and sent to the field hospital in teh rear of our lines to have my side and ribs looked at. After we pushed on the battery a few weeks ago at Chickamauga, my side had been hurting with intense pain. The field surgeon then told me I had at least a cracked rib and some bruising, he released me back to the lines and my brothers in arms. That night we slept in our rifle pits, and the early hours of Sunday morning, we were pulled out and to the rear of our lines and moved north on the road to Chattanooga.

Coming from myself, Busted ribs from a car wreck 2 weeks ago makes for an extremely hard weekend with very few thoughts that come to mind. I personally have no regrets, I only wish the event would have been a bit longer. I honestly thought about leaving, the pain Saturday afternoon was almost to the point of saying forget it and leave. But I took a few minutes close to an hour or so to gather myself and returned to the lines. All weekend long those around me pushed me to do more and not give in, and make the best of it. Thank you to all of you guys. I have a hard time letting people down, I hope I didn't. The thoughts of just wanting the pain to go away, and not really being able to to do anything for it makes me admire the men who came before me. They wouldn't have been able to give in and go home. Thank you all for putting up with me this weekend. I made some new friends as well as learned more about some older ones.
                              Last edited by robert-m; 09-15-2010, 12:26 AM. Reason: spelling
                              Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X