Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In The Van, August 1-7, 2010: Wagon School AAR

I had fun, how about you?

When you get really lucky in life, one good thing teaches another and another. What we are finding on the ramp-up for In The Van, is the repeated opportunity to learn and practice common skills of the mid-19th century: this weekend the task was to begin training for wagoner's assistants.

Equines, bovines, rolling stock, humans from pre-teens to social security age, hound dogs, barn cats, and the occassional sleepy snake all joined on a snowy Kentucky weekend.

We learned that safety is Everybody's Business--and saw that put into practice as heads turned all across the pasture and voices echoed "No, Stop!---and the perpetrator grinned to know that the lesson was so deeply ingrained.

We learned that what can go wrong, will, even with well trained animals and maintained rolling stock. We saw how an experienced wagoner looked to the safety of his passenger and his team, first--and examined the broken pieces to understand how and where equipment fails.

We did a tremendous amount of literal 'woodshedding', coming in out of the snow to warm up and ask the hard questions about logistics and support roles.

We laughed, a Lot.

Now, we put a bunch of folks on planes, and let other participants out to pasture, leaving a few with a long drive home. They'll be along with pictures and commentary.

Our thanks to Gary Barker, Maria Hummel, and Nathan Stark for their generosity.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Re: In The Van, August 1-7, 2010: Wagon School AAR

In The Van by its very concept as an exercise in the movement of wagons requires a different infrastructure from most events. Early in the war, the Confederate transport system was an amalgamation of vehicles, civilian contractors and military wagons, pulled by a variety of equines and bovines.

Historically, Wagoners were lower class people. In Living History, portraying a lower class person is a difficult task because it is so different from what we know and are used to. On top of the Living History requirements, we actually have a job to do. We really do command large animals and move loads. That is not play, that is real.

The Wagoners for In The Van are experienced with their wagons and animals, with additional background in portraying life and work in the 18th and 19th century. In order to properly care for their animals, they must have help. The Wagon School was offered as a first step in training additional participants to aid in those tasks. The training was not structured as a period event, and the clothing in the images reflects a mixture of period and modern clothing, depending on what it took to keep warm on a cold and snowy Kentucky weekend.

As military participants for In The Van, you will have the opportunity to experience this aspect of 19th century life in a unique way. The structure, terrain, mileage and pace of the event is such that men with reasonable experience and fieldcraft can expect to fully participate and complete this event.

We're Looking Forward to Living in the Past. We hope you'll join us.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Re: In The Van, August 1-7, 2010: Wagon School AAR

That looks like a great time was had. I hope another training weekend will be held again.
      Andrew Grim
      The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
      x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
      Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
      Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Working...
      X