Weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons

I think good research gives us some of the finer points that keep things interesting in this hobby. So, I will humbly submit what I have found about the weapons because there have been some questions. Also I need to clear up one piece of information that I can not back up.

As Mike said there are two companies Co. D (St. Louis Grays) and Co. G (The New Madrid Guard).

Interesting, some of the things they had. For example July 28 lots of camp equipage ie: biscuit cutters, joint pipe, camp kettles, 1 sprinkler, dippers and etc. It appears that by the time they got to New Madrid they had a complete kitchen. However it was not until Aug. 8 that they acquired military weapons.

It appears that they got 545 "Percussion Muskets" in Richmond Tn. and 405 "Flintlock Muskets" in Memphis on or around Aug 8.

According to an Aug 12 letter from Gen. Pillow, they appear to have been unarmed at that time. I wondered if they had weapons at New Madrid because I don't actually find the report that they were issued until a few weeks after they left New Madrid but then I found Joseph Boyce's Reminiscences:

...For the benefit of visitors from Memphis and the surrounding country of New Madrid we would be ordered out for drill - the command would form squares at the double quick to resist cavalry, the the memphis cavalry would charge us with flashing blades and charging steeds; they would come at us with a rush, but no amount of urging and spurring could induce the horses to face the bayonets...
    (Personal Reminiscences of Capt. Joseph Boyce Co. D, 1st Mo. Taken from Missouri Republican 1883-1887)

This tells me they were armed in New Madrid. In another publication, Hyde's Encyclopedia of St. Louis History, Boyce wrote a lengthy article about St. Louis Militias. According to that he states they (probably meaning Co. D.) had flintlocks.

Then on Sept. 23 there is a listing of each company showing how many muskets and what type each were issued I'll shorten it but it shows:
    Co. A 74 Percussion muskets
    Co. B 74 percussion muskets
    Co. C 44 Flintlock muskets and 7 Percussion muskets
    Co. D 59 Flintlock Muskets
    Co. E 65 Percussion Muskets
    Co. F 59 Flintlock muskets and 6 Percussion muskets
    Co. G 78 Percussion muskets
    Co. H 57 flintlock muskets and 7 Percussion muskets
    Co. I 3 flintlock muskets and 76 Percussion muskets
    Co. K 71 flintlock muskets

each company got 3 or 4 Artillery sabers most likely for the officers. Also, while some companies had flintlocks and others had percussion muskets each compay regardless was issued 75 cap boxes along with belts, cartridge boxes and bayonet scabbards. (John S. Bowen, Compiled Service Records, National Archives Microfilm.)

I have made the claim that the regiment had "British muskets." I orignally thought they still had these at the time of Shiloh but perhaps I am mistaken. According to Boyce:

[I]"They were first armed with the old-style flint-lock muskets but late in the following January, while at Bowling Green, Kentucky, they were supplied with the latest Springfield rifles, and later on with Enfield rifles." [I]
    (Hydes Encyclopedia Vol. III)

So according to this the 1st had been armed with "the latest springfields" by the time of Shiloh.

The regiment apparently got the Enfields some time between January and November 1862. I haven't had time to get the the Microfilm to see when they were issued but they show up under Albert O. Allen's Nov. 14, 1862 Ordnance report:

"Recvd of W. B. Pittman Ordnance officer the following ordnance and Ordnance Stores to wit.
    20 Enfield Rifles
    10 Minnie muskets
    120 sets enfield accouterments
    800 canteens & straps
    22 knapsacks
    129 haversacks
    1300 minnie cartridges
    40 British muskets cartridges cal. 69
    40 Miss Rifles cartridges cal 54
    6000 musket caps
    3020 buck & ball cartridges cal 69
    8100 British musket cartridges cal 69
    2000 British musket cartridges cal 75
    1100 Con ball cartridges cal 58
    2000 Miss rifle cartridges cal 54
    25000 musket caps
    22 percussion lock muskets cal 69
    20 british muskets cal 75
    19 british muskets cal 72
    23 bayonets
    (National Archives; U.S. Adjutant General Records; no. 973.74; Micro Copy No. 322; Roll No. 92)

It is intriguing that it appears that the 1st MO lists 6 different types of firearms in its possession in the same report even after the enfields appear. The evidence for British muskets above is pretty compelling. This is why I think those "flintlocks" early on were British.

In the spring of 1863 the Missouri Brigade was stationed at Grand Gulf, MS. From the site of the earthworks they uncovered a large caliber british musket. Unless they changed things around the musket was in a case at the back of the museum near some cannon balls. Whether it had a flint lock or cap lock will never be known because the lock was gone and the entire breech portion of the musket had been lost to time. Perhaps it is only coincidental that even after the issue of Springfields and Enfields they uncovered a British Musket from the area where the Missouri Brigade was located. Didn't the Missouri Brigade have enfields by the Vicksburg campaign?
    I know they got new uniforms but I get confused if they got them first at Grenada or Demopolis.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Weapons

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
    I know they got new uniforms but I get confused if they got them first at Grenada or Demopolis.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank, I had to dig out an article I wrote for an event at Grenada MS along time ago. I know this is in the weapons thread for this event but you threw down the gauntlet.

'63 Appler, " Monday Jan 19th. A rainy day and rained all night. I was on guard duty to-day and a rainy day as usual. Our Brig. was uniformed yesterday.

'62 Bevieir, Page 166 "On the 24th of December the army was united to be reviewed by Pres. Davis, Generals Price, Johnston, Pemberton, Loring and others. The First Brigade were clothed in their new uniforms of gray striped by blue, and presented a fine appearence that won the heart of the Chief Magistrate and wreathed general Price's broad face with sunny smiles."

James H. Fauntelroy , (private 1st Mo. Cav dismounted) from "in Deadly Earnest" Gottschalk Page 187
    " James H. Fauntleroy of the 1st Mo. Cav. dismounted noted that upon arrival of the First Brigade in Jackson Jan 28, new uniforms were issued, and when a review was held that evening "the uniform looked very well."

From Doug Hardings excellent research of the 5th Mo.
    Jan 31
    64 Jackets
    58 pr trousers
    Dougs research shows no more issues until August 31 in Dempolis Alabama.

So in conclusion Dec. 24th '62, Jan. 19th '63, Jan. 28th '63, and Jan 31st '63. Four different dates, a 38 day window.

Thanks for getting me interested on this subject again. If your interested I have a reciept for clothing for the 1st Mo inf in Camp ______, Ky for "Dress Coats" in '61. I remember talking with someone, Childs maybe, about nomenclature carryover from old army to CS for QM terms and descriptions. They seemed to think as I do that dress coats would mean what we would assume to be a single breasted frock coat. If your interested let me know and I'll try and dig that one out. 20 plus years of CW stuff, and research, plus one move means I'll be lookin through some unpacked boxes in storage. Is the event still open?

Ken Irvin
    The "OLD" Skulkers Mess
    Last edited by Ken_Irvin; 03-14-2010, 11:32 PM. Reason: omission of date
    Ken Irvin

Comment

Yeah Ken I'd be interested to see that. I think I have information that is related to what you have found. I have a Sepecial Requisition from Capt. Duffy for 64 dress coats (among other things) while at Ft. Underwood, Dated January 31st. Could it be possible that they got uniforms while they were still at Camp Beauregard? As you pointed out about later uniform issues...lots of windows.
      Probably a moot point for this since we are portraying the 1st during the August 1861 time frame when they were in New Madrid. I agree that they were single breasted frock coats and I wish old Joseph Boyce would have put one of those in the Missouri Historical Society collectons.
      As for the event it's still open.
      Frank Aufmuth
      Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank,

I think thats the one I have also. I used to go to the library and use brain cells just paging through microfilm. Find officers names, look up the file and page through it, looking for requistions or anything of relevance. I still need to locate that file.

Whats the uniform for the St. Louis company, Regimental uniform for the 1st Brigade MVM? Shakos? I hope not, cant afford one, and I dont have one handy to copy.

Ken Irvin
        TSM
        Last edited by Ken_Irvin; 03-15-2010, 09:58 PM. Reason: omission
        Ken Irvin

Comment

Ken
          Well as you already know, in August in New Madrid uniforms hadn't been issued yet. We discussed the militia uniforms of the St. Louis boys and think it was unlikely that they would have smuggled all that stuff through Cairo. I think the guidelines for Co. D will focus more on cilivian clothing, CS accoutrements and three band muskets for the privates.
          The other company (New Madrid Guards) cilivian clothing with civilian weapons. This is only a guess Mike is putting together the guidelines and those should be out soon.
          Frank Aufmuth
          Frank Aufmuth

Comment

I am wonder what pattern these British muskets are, I know that , most .75 caliber muskets shot a .69 ball and not a .75, and what muskets shoots a .72 caliber is beyond me, they had a .70 minnie, so what were theses? Also where did they come from, Mexico maybe, because many of the converted Brown Bess's were destroyed in a fire, so this is interesting.
            Thomas J. Alleman
            "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Thomas
              I have meerly copied down what was in the records. Since they specified .75's and .72's along with all the other weaponry they had in their posession at that time I think its safe to say they were what they were.
              Their orgins are an interesting question. I've heard talk about captured weapons brought back from the Battle of New Orleans by Andrew Jackson but I will have to defer your question to someone more knowledgeable on this topic.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Working...
              X