Thank You from Vicksburg NMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You from Vicksburg NMP

On behalf of Vicksburg National Military Park I would like to thank all who participated in this weekend's event. I cannot praise Pat Landrum enough for his hard work and commitment to authenticity; the field of living history would be much poorer without him. Any time you want to come back and do it again, let us know; you are always welcome at Vicksburg!

Cordially,

David Slay
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: Thank You from Vicksburg NMP

Dave,
    Thanks for letting us play in your yard. Your talk at the Graveyard Road was great.
    Thanks,
    Thib
    [SIZE="4"][FONT="Impact"]Jason Thibodeaux[/FONT][/SIZE]
    Independent Rifles
    Swamp Angels
    Pelican Civil War Lodge #1861

Comment

Agreed, That was a lot of fun. Definitely worth the trip!
      -Ricky Jones

[FONT="Georgia"][COLOR="DarkRed"]In Memory of [SIZE="3"]1[/SIZE]st. Lt. David Allen Lawrence, 44th G.V.I. / K.I.A. Wilderness, Va.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

I had a great time too, and really enjoyed the talks.
        Thanks,
        Marvin Boyce
        Marvin Boyce

Comment

The talks with us all there, listening like your disciples was fantastic. Military parks will never look the same. You did a great job.
          Brian Gauthier

Rat Tail Mess
          Wolftever Mess
          SCAR-Southeastern Coalition of Authentic Reenactors

Cry "Havoc" and let slip the dogs of war.

Comment

It was a great experience. I was happy to be able to come bug you and Tim again!
            Tyler Gibson
            The Independent Rifles

Comment

Agreed, highlight of trip was the talk on the cemetary road. Thank you for hosting us.
              Jared Nichols

Liberty Rifles
              - The French Mess

Comment

Next time I think I tactical exercise along the Graveyard Road would be educational. It makes my blood run cold to think of the damage inflicted on the Union column when they emerged from the cut into the sights of Bowen's men.

David Slay
                [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
                [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Thanks for giving me and Mr. Gray a tour around the park and the Cairo. You guys went all out for us. Glad I could view the site the way it is best experienced.. through the footsteps of the men and in the company of like minds. Thanks.
                  Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
                  Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
                  ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
                  ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
                  ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
                  ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
                  ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry I couldn't make it, my loss for sure. Mr. Landrum's contributions to the hobby and the quest to keep history alive are to be commended.

Three cheers and a Tiger for Pat !
                    Dennis Neal
                    "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                    David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                    Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                    [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                    J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Speaking for the STRI National Military Park volunteers, of which Mr Landrum is a distinguished
                      participant and new member, we couldn't agree more with your assessment of his fieldcraft and cooking
                      skill in the context of effective living history and historic weapons demos. We only wish we could get him to quit
                      drinking strawberry wine in the parking lot when he is supposed to be on the field.
                      Craig L Barry
                      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

All,
                        Since I was a really small child I have always been interested in the Vicksburg Campaign. Due in large part to it being the closest National Park to my home town, it was always a place I wanted to go as often as I could. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I was only able to visit Vicksburg once when I was 10 years old. I remember for YEARS I kept that Visitors Center Map folded up and in my bookshelf like it was a piece of treasure. In 2001 I took part in my first event at Vicksburg with Cleburne's (the REAL Cleburne's) and that is when I met Rick Martin. When I approached Rick in 2006 about hosting "Life on the Line" I believe he wanted to see how willing I was, and the group was to do what the park needed for their programs vs doing what the reenactor wants to do. We did Federal 3 out of the first 4 times we did a program for the park, and those 4 times were from November 2006-June 2007! That is basically going to the park once a month! Over the years the park has really become mine and the Independent Rifles "Home". I'm very thankful for being given the chance to host programs for Vicksburg and hope they rely on myself and the Independent Rifles for our support as much as we rely on them, without the support of the park staff it couldn't happen. I consider David, Rick, Tim and Patti some of the finest people I have been able to work with, and consider them all friends. I am also looking forward to working with them and the new Superintendent- Mr. Michael Madell going into some really GREAT 150th Programs.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Dave and Pat,

Thanks for the great experience. Pat you set the right tone when you told us Saturday morning it was about educating us as much as the public. I had been to Vicksburg a few times over the past few years, but never saw a clearer picture than during the march. And Dave, your talk at the Graveyard Rd was great. Thanks.

Jason
                          [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
                          Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
                          Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

I want to say great job and thank you. I think that Pat did a good job putting this together. The Park went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The chefs, who made sure the food was edible, it was good seriously. That was some of the best coffee, especially when you don't have to make it. I enjoyed the private tours and talks.
                            [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Parault View Post
                              The chefs, who made sure the food was edible, it was good seriously. That was some of the best coffee ...
                              Trust me, no one was more surprised than us at how well the beans and stew turned out. We invoked the name of the Great Overlord of Culinary Skills more than once as we discussed all the possible ways to mess things up.
                              Joe Smotherman

Comment

Working...
                              X