Ft. McAllister: Guarding Savannah - March 2-6, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft. McAllister: Guarding Savannah - March 2-6, 2011

When: March 2-6 (possibly longer with chances to come in later for those that cannot make the entire time)

Where: Fort McAllister State Park, Georgia

Who: Armory Guards

POC: Herb Coats - Menion687@aol.com & Jordan Roberts

The Plan:
    We have the Thumbs Up from Danny Brown, the Head park ranger at Fort McAllister. Danny is very friendly to reenactors and likes the idea. So Confederate Winter Encampment 2011 has been enacted! It is aptly title "Guarding Savannah."

The Fort has four winter cabins and a bombproof that can sleep 20. Period pictures of the fort also show an array of tents in and around the Fort that were used by the CS Garrison and later by US occuping forces.

The time period for the event will be early 1864 at Ft. McAllister. Two companies of around 50 to 60 men max. More info will come. Think English cloth uniforms. Folks would arrive Thursday and the event goes live at 8pm. The event would end around 10 or 11am on Sunday to give folks time to get home. The Savannah airport is about 45 minutes up Interstate 95 so if you need to fly in then go for it.

This is on state park property so visitors would be coming through during the day, but after 5pm we get the fort to ourselves. So it would be a semi immersion since visitors would be coming through. Tripp Corbin has been asked to be the garrison commander with Joe Blunt and Kiev Thomason to be the two company commanders. They have all agreed.

So this all sounds real swell and all, but what do YOU get out of this? A chance to do more than a weekend event on the ACTUAL ground in the ACTUAL fort. Since it is an earthen fort, it is in need of repair. Danny let me know that there are plenty of spots that need work! Hey preservation! What a concept. Also there is ample oppurtunity for artillery drill and to drill on the sea coast guns on the Ogeechee River. Drill.. Well that it is up to the fort commandante! Other fun is to be had as well but Herb and Jordan Roberts isn't letting all the cats run out of the bag just yet.

There is an option for the event starting a day earlier on Wednesday at 8pm. We will defintely get the final word on the dates near New Years.

This is an oppurtunity for our guys to do a multi day winter event. The site is there, there is room to do a lot of good for the fort. What more can you want!!!!!!!
    Last edited by trippcor; 04-22-2009, 08:12 AM.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Re: Ft. McAllister: Guarding Savannah - March 3-6, 2011

I did the mainstream event there last month and had a great time. I am certain that site for one of y'alls EBUFU events will be absolutely stellar.

I really like that park and be certain will be coming up to check ya'll out !

Good times.....you guys do a great job.
    Last edited by trippcor; 01-07-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I will cook the cornbread (just to help Kiev out).:wink_smil
      Ley Watson
      POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

I participated in the non-mainstream event there in Dec. of 2006. (No battle re-enactment.. but a damned good Garrison event).

The site is remarkable.

There are some of us trying to convince the sponsors to start the event a day or two earlier than currently proposed. Going from Wed. evening through Sunday morning would be great!
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Thanks for the interest folks. I know a lot of the WIG/South-Ron minded guys have been drooling over the prospect of an extended winter camp/garrison event. The fort is a great resource and it is a magnificent place to visit. Also the Savannah International Aiport is not even 30 minutes away up I-95. The event site is very easy to get to.

Some good books to peruse regarding McAllister are:

"Guardian of Savannah: Fort Mcallister, Georgia, in the Civil War and Beyond"
          by Roger S. Durham

and

"The Blues in Gray: The Civil War Journal of William Daniel Dixon and the Republican Blues Daybook"
          by William Daniel Dixon (author) with Roger S. Durham (Editor)

Jordan and I have some fun stuff planned for the participants. We'll be definitely posting more information in the future. (First Bummers, then the um... Ogeechee River!)
          Last edited by Coatsy; 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Awesome, I was looking at putting on a similar event at Fort Pulaski but saw this one and decided I didnt want to step on any toes....count me in

Mike Kirby
            [CENTER]Yours with a jerk,
            Michael Kirby
            [COLOR="Green"]Fort Moultrie : STRANGER DANGER!
            Sharpsburg LH: Wrecking the Van (The Tripp Corbin Experience)
            Westville GA Work Weekend: SWAMP MONSTER![/COLOR]
            [COLOR="Blue"]Bummers
            [/COLOR]
            [COLOR="Blue"]Pt. Lookout Maryland LH
            Rivers Bridge Federal Campaigner Adjunct
            Backwaters 1865
            In The Van: Trailing Kirby Smith
            Before The Breakout
            Struggles of Secession[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Comment

More info on the event is as follows,

The time period that we are trying to portray is late February to early March 1864. At this time, the garrison had settled down to routine life. Several inspections and projects dealing with the Fort occured during this period. We have a wealth of knowledge from which to build historically accurate scenarios.

Tripp Corbin will command the Garrison and will choose his staff. Kiev Thomason will be commanding the Republican Blues and Joe Blunt Co. G of the 63rd Georgia. Other positions will be assigned at a later date. If you desire a certain position then contact me via email at jrobertsga@bellsouth.net. We will need men for several duties as this will be a working fort.

This is a Garrison event. Expect the usual duties that come along with garrison life. But also remember that this is a fort which guards the entrance to Savannah. Expect some different duties than you may be use to.

If there are any questions regarding this event please send me an email.
              Last edited by trippcor; 02-12-2009, 04:33 PM.
              Jordan Roberts

Widow Makers Mess
              Red Clay Volunteers

Comment

There has been change in the dates. We are asking that most of the participants arrive on Wednesday afternoon. We have permission to start the event Wednesday evening. This gives us 3 full days at the fort plus half the day on Sunday. Also we have been asked to have 50 men at max for each company. So there will be 100 men total (not counting event staff) admitted to the event.

As Jordan stated this will be a working garrison. Mr. Danny Brown, the Ft. McAllister head ranger, and I chatted some ideas that Jordan and I have plus some ideas the park staff has. For those of you who are not familiar with Mr. Jordan Roberts, he is pretty much the reason why there is a Bummers event in 2009 and a good researcher.

I will tell all who are interested in this event up front that this is a state park so visitors will be coming through the fort during the park's visiting hours. Modern boats sail up and down the Ogeechee River, and at night if your are lucky enough to be on guard duty on the fort's parapets you can see radio towers. I know most of us on the AC are old hats when it comes to this and it does not matter, but these modern intrusions are there and I want folks to know this.

BUT believe you me.... The commandant, the company officers, and those pesky NCOs will keep you busy during the time spent at the fort.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

I would never turn down a chance to work and play at Fort McAllister. Truly an incredible place.
                  Tom Dodson
                  Armory Guards
                  47th Georgia
                  Tom Dodson

Comment

I agree with Tom's comment of McAllister being a special place... It is one of the few places I've been that has really made me feel like "I am there". Looking forward to this event!
                    Mark Taylor

Comment

Some notes

To all of those who are interested.

We've been a little quiet with this one since we've got some time before 2011 rolls around. Mr. Roberts and I currently have our hands full with the Bummers event, but we will field any questions about Guarding Savannah. Look for more info roll out after the Bummers event.

No hype was harmed with in this message.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Gee, as much as I come down to Georgia for good events, I might as well move there. Why don't you boys make me an honorary Georgian? :) You know give me a certificate or pie or cornbread or something.
                        Michael Comer
                        one of the moderator guys

Comment

We really need to do that because you do sure come this way alot.
                          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Re: Ft. McAllister: Guarding Savannah - March 2-6, 2011

All,

Just a quick "bump" and update. There are definitely provisions set up for those who cannot arrive Wednesday evening when the event kicks off. We will set a certain number for those who cannot take the time off. Friday at noon is the cutoff date for those who cannot arrive Wednesday. I highly recommend not being one of the “latecomers” however…. There is more to experience within an extended event. So if coastal Confederate garrisons interest you, clear a spot out for March 2011.

Of course more info will hit here AFTER Bummers, but don't let that stop you from reading up on Ft. McAllister.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Re: Ft. McAllister: Guarding Savannah - March 2-6, 2011

Just another quick and small update. The more in depth outline for the event has been submitted to the State Park. We'll give another update when we get word.

I will tell you that there is a max of 100 men. This will break down into the staff and the two companies. While it would be great to have 100 guys make McAllister come alive from Wednesday early evening until Sunday at noon I do realize that this probably will not happen, but the provisions are there. :D
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X