Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Prevent the Effusion of Blood - Planning for Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

Greetings,

The flash point of the American Civil War is accepted to be Charleston Harbor with the events of December 1860 and January 1861 providing an impetus on the part of the new Confederacy to organize their forces for combat and providing the Federal Government a breathing space until the inauguration of Abraham Lincoln.

Major Robert Anderson had been sent to Fort Moultrie to take command by the Buchannan Administration in the hope that a Southern Gentlemen would be congizant and respectful of Southern Sensibilities. Major Anderson decided his duty lay with executing his vague orders from the Federal Government. He was mindful of the moves the State of South Carolina made to arm itself and the situation of his command. In his own words, Major Anderson decided to move the Fort Moultrie Garrison to Fort Sumter on the night of 26-27 December 1860 "To prevent the effusion of blood."

This action caused an up roar in South Carolina and led to a delegation demanding Major Anderson return to Fort Moultrie. Major Anderson refused under the pretense that as commander of the Defenses of Charleston Harbor he could occupy any Federal Property of this choosing. By moving the garrison he removed them from direct contact with the people of South Carolina and forced the Secessionists into a corner, where they would be required to either impose a seige or overtly attack Fort Sumter.

A merchant ship, the Star of the West, was sent with supplies but was turned back by South Carolina Artillerists on 9 January 1861. This event is still considered by the Military College of South Carolina, The Citadel, and many scholars as the first shot of the Civil War.

The Tramp Brigade Organization of Historical Interpreters is coordinating and opening dialogues with organizations in the Carolina Low Country about their plans to commemorate these events. There is no concrete plan at this point, but we are interested in the opinion of the Living History Community in their participation in an event to commemorate and recreate the events in Charleston Harbor during December 1860 and January 1861.

Name - To Prevent the Effusion of Blood (working event title)
    Dates - 26 to 29 December 2010 or 7 to 9 January 2011
    Location - To be determined, in and around Charleston, SC
    Coordinator - Pete Berezuk - pete.berezuk@gmail.com
    Event Type - Semi-immersion, Historical Reenactment
    Sponsor - Tramp Brigade Organization of Historical Interpreters
    Website - To Be Announced
    Discussion Site - AC Thread and Tramp Brigade Forum
    Impression - 1st US Artillery, South Carolina Military and local populace

We are looking at this time for what general interest there is in the Larger Living History Community for our proposed dates. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are interested in supporting this event.
    26 to 27 December 2010
    24.00%
    7 to 9 January 2011
    52.00%
    Neither due to proximity with Winter Holiday Season
    24.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM. Reason: corrected misspelling
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: To Prevent the Effusion of Blood - Planning for Dec 2010 - Jan 2011

I voted for December as I could visit my inlaws in the Carolinas and Savannah for Christmas holiday season and as an (ahem) reward, could participate in this event.
    Best of luck on this endeavor.
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

There is only one clear choice here. The Evacuation of Moultrie and the Star of the West are two separate and independent events. Portrayed as a singular event during the 150th will only further remove accurate history from the retelling.
      [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
      [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

The evacuation of Fort Moultrie for Fort Sumter on the anniversary dates would be a great moment that few would get to do.
        Andrew Grim
        The Monte Mounted Rifles, Monte Bh'oys

Burbank #406 F&AM
        x-PBC, Co-Chairman of the Most Important Committee
        Peter Lebeck #1866, The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Billy Holcomb #1069, Order of Vituscan Missionaries

Comment

Thanks for the input already guys...

This poll and announcement are to put a 'marker' out for Living Historians to consider for 2011 and to gauge the interest and inclination of the people we need to recruit to make any event worthwhile.

So, I do encourage comment but at this stage we haven't decided on precisely what we are going to do, just what we could do given the sufficient support we are polling for.
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Having voted, I can no longer see the entire question. Does it say "which would you prefer" or "which would you commit to attending and not just be participating in a poll without any real thought of participating in the event and possibly skewing the results"?

I can't remember.
            Joe Smotherman

Comment

I would suggest doing it sometime in mid December.As you pointed out in the poll,the Christmas season could play a problem for people who have relatives coming in/going to see relatives.At least in mid-December,it wouldn't effect it all that much and still give people a chance to do some shopping at the great shops around the town.
              Cullen Smith
              South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Pete,

I was a farb and voted for the January date, but I could probably work something out if it was in December. Wifey does like Charleston.

Either way I'd like to recreate the events that took place around Charleston Harbor in late 1860- early 61.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

I pressed the vote-o-meter early this morning when I did not have time to type.

I'm very partial to the December date in Charleston, for a purely selfish reason--that January date would quite likely be the date for the Battle of New Orleans commemoriation down at Chalmette......

And being forced to choose between Charleston and New Orleans would be terribly hard.

So many wars, so little time,
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Pete,

This type of forward thinking shows some real (and all too rare) hobby leadership.

Thank you!
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Pete! ;)

We should be in the area visiting my family in Myrtle Beach during the Dec date. In 2010, it's my family's turn to host Christmas for my wife and I!:D

-Johnny
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                      SCAR
                      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Thanks for all the kinds words and the helpful suggestions...

Originally posted by PogueMahone View Post
                        Having voted, I can no longer see the entire question. Does it say "which would you prefer" or "which would you commit to attending and not just be participating in a poll without any real thought of participating in the event and possibly skewing the results"?

I can't remember.
                        Joe, thanks for bringing up the issue in your friendly, old Sergeant way...

I guess I could have been clearer. We are looking to provide a great event for the Living History community at the start of the 150th Cycle. That will require participation by that community. I've got two (for lack of a better phrase) 'operational constructs' to build this event on. Those are the dates that match those operational constructs. I am certain we will not get every person who votes, but if at the end of this poll I can see a clear preponderance of interest then I can be confident in my planning that we can achieve the attendance we would need for success. I would hope the inclusion of the third choice allows those who feel they cannot or would not commit to let us know that the dates are just wrong for what we are trying to achieve and that we should redirect our planning effort at a different event and date.

On a note of the historical scope... the Federal Garrison numbered 86 Officers and Enlisted Men in December 1860. There was a civilian crew of 50 laborers contracted to perform work on Forts Moultrie and Sumter. And of course the City of Charleston and State of South Carolina were forming their new government outside of the Federal Union that included an Army and Navy...

If you haven't taken the time to provide your input in this poll, please do. It will be very helpful to me personnaly and I hope to the community at large. Thank You.
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I am not aware of any concrete plans around the "Star of the West" by anyone other than a local S.C.V. camp. There is no official state or local plans that I know of. If there was an event planned either by a reenacting organization, historical organization or such, they aren't announcing it or making it well known with less than two years to the first post secession, military action.

We have the support of the NPS and have made significant connections with other organizations.

The Evacuation of Fort Moultrie has never been done as a commemorative event.

Plenty of visitors will be in Charleston that week.

Our community is small, and it would be easier to organize and secure this, without too many outside influences that would dilute our efforts. See quality control.

It would be the first, post-secession military movement.

I cannot guarantee that a collaboration event would produce the quality results that you seek. I would guarantee that any event we would host exclusively, would abide by NPS guidelines and the authenticity standards we promote.

If you can make it to the 1859 LH next month, I would like to discuss this at length and get more people in on the process. December will work, but as a family we need your help.

Thanks Pete for posting this.
                          Last edited by SCTiger; 04-16-2009, 08:54 AM.
                          Gregory Deese
                          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                            There was a civilian crew of 50 laborers contracted to perform work on Forts Moultrie and Sumter.
                            If I recall correctly, the idea for this event was floated on the OTB several months ago, and at that time I said I'd definitely be interested in being one of the civilian crew, if you decide to have any of those portrayed. Well, that's still true. :) I didn't vote in the poll because either date is equally okay for me so I didn't want to affect the results, if one date would definitely be better for most folks.

I think there was also some talk of including one or two local journalists, and I said I'd be willing to mentor, accompany, or whatever you want to call it, a journalist with the civilians, and that's still true too.

Hank Trent
                            hanktrent@voyager.net
                            Hank Trent

Comment

Hank,

Your invitation to participate will come with profuse words of praise and thanks. We do want to have the civilian contract laborers represented and the local civilians of the populace. One interesting side note is the role of the Charleston Newspapers in the events.

Once we see the interest of the Living History community in this effort, we will set a date and work the coordination with the NPS, Local and State Government. My intention is to be able make an announcement this Fall so there is over a year of time for those interested in attending to plan their attendance with their real life obligations.

Thanks for the support.
                              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                              X