X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp Jackson

Where: St. Louis
    When: May 6-8 2011

St. Louis is planning events in conjunction with the 150 anniversary of the Civil War. Missouri Department of Natural Resources, National Park Service, Missouri Historical Society in St. Louis, and others are involved in the planning of the various events to take place between 2011 and 2015. Camp Jackson will be the kick-off for these events. This will be one of the first events in the 150th cycle. Actual events took place between May 1 and May 10, 1861.

Both Militia and Pro-Union forces are to be represented.

The official meeting will be May 8, 2009. More details will follow after the meeting.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Re: Camp Jackson

I would be very interested in this. Please keep us informed.
    Aka
    Wm Green :D
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    (Don’t let the bastards grind you down!)

Dreaming of the following and other events

Picket Post
    Perryville

The like to do a winter camp.....hint hint...

Comment

Frank,

You know the New Madrid Guards will be there.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

I agree with Huck!
        Kyle (Cuffie) Pretzl
        The Tater Mess

Comment

Ditto Frank...would be an outstanding western 150th start up.

Funny, as a fresh fish in the 125th, I had no idea I would be still doing this.

Must be the comrades we have made over the years!
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

May be early, but is this planned for 'on the site' of Camp Jackson?
            John Pillers
            Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Rev. Pompey,

We'll miss this one due to prior commitments back east, and look forward to visiting Athens again in August 2011.

Don't let Mitch consume all the condensed milch.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I would make time for this one also. It would be less than an hour drive for me. :)
                Ron Mueller
                Illinois
                New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
                Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
                Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The planning for this still progresses and beyond impressions I don't have a lot to add. I was asked by the powers that be to plan something for the
                  150th anniversary of Camp Jackson.
                  The event will be in St. Louis in one of the city parks all of which have some level of historical value for what we are doing. However it's time to face the music. Its going to be in the city. In comparison to most places in the city, each of the three sites we are looking at are pretty pastoral and all relatively close to the original site of Camp Jackson or along one of the routes they took.
                  Its going to be a living history but we will follow the schedule they followed back in 1861. Its going to be about as immersive as a typical living history where the camp is about 50 feet from the parking area but probalbly with much more public attendance. On the upside the bars are near and they are good bars.
                  I'm at the helm on this one but the planning committee is mixed. On the upside if you come it will be one of those types of events that you can claim your expenses on your taxes (mileage, expenses and such).

At the present Mike Kupsch, Terry Sorchy, Nathan "Holler" Helwig, and Mike Comer are going to help me fill companies and give the camp a little more of a professional character.

I am going to move this thread to the "Non-EBUFU" folder.
                  There will be a meeting with the city fathers in a few weeks and I will post more on a new folder in the "other" adjunct events area once I come up with something worthy to report.
                  Frank
                  Frank Aufmuth

Comment

This sounds like it will be good event. Since there will be good bars nearby I'll try to make it. Hopefully, I will be back from my third and final trip to Iraq.
                    Rick Biddle
                    Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
                    Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Here's a website:

See my post above. This is for educational purposes only. Please do not try to register yet.
                      Frank Aufmuth
                      Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Frank

Has there been any talk or exploration, whether to someone like Serio, Parsley or Don (would he come out of retirement maybe?) to produce the MVM brass plates? They would most likely fit easily on existing belts... Maybe a bully buy or a special run for prepayers? Serio is pretty up for doing these generally.

This was a pivotal moment in US History, where US troops basically imprisoned civilians and later fired on civilians. They weren't armed at Kent State, but as a scholar you understand what transpired here. The war in the West would have been much different otherwise. This changed everything.....
                        Jay Stevens
                        Tater Mess
                        Independent Volunteers
                        Iron Man Mess
                        Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                        Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                        Lost Tribes, October 2009
                        Bummers, November 2009
                        Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                        The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                        In the Van, August 2010
                        Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

ATTENTION ALL IRISHMEN!!! I am Captain of the Washington Blues, an old and established militia company in St. Louis made up of men of Irish decent. This is your chance to proudly display your Irish American heritage as well as to proudly do justice to the Washington Blues. I must warn you; I will expect nothing less than top notch authenticity within my company! This is no joke. But if you are up for the challenge, and want to proudly represent those Irish Americans who came before you, then join up with the Washington Blues for the 150th Camp Jackson.

Nic Clark
                          Commanding, Washington Blues
                          Last edited by Iceman; 01-23-2010, 08:42 PM.
                          Nic Clark
                          2017 - 24 years in the hobby
                          Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

I'll be set up to do wet plate ambrotypes on Sutler's row near the Laborer's House, Come by if you want an image made in your Missouri Volunteer Militia impressions.

Doug Harding
                            <table width="100%"><td width="230">[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]</td><td align="left" valign="top">Beir bua agus beannacht
                            Douglas A. Harding
                            Park Ranger
                            Jefferson National Expansion Memorial

"Secure the shadow, ere the substance fade."
                            "Let nature copy that, which nature made."

Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam
                            [I]A country without a language, a county without a soul. [/I]
                            Céad míle fáilte
                            [I]A hundred thousand welcomes![/I]

[URL="http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/authenticityguide"][B]Star of the West Society[/B][/URL]
                            [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/doughardingslivinghistoryfriends/"][B]Doug Harding's Living History Friends[/B][/URL]
                            [URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ConfederateGuard"][B]The Old Confederate Guard[/B] [/URL]</td></table>

Comment

Hey folks - all of you Missouri boys, Trans-Miss boys and any other boys should come out and support this event. Missouri was quite a place during the war and Camp Jackson really got the ball rolling. This event is designed to kick off the 150th stuff in Missouri and would be a great place to start the ball rolling for your personal 150th journey.
                              Here's the website as a reminder. The guidelines are something everyone can meet with little effort if you already have complete kits.

Plenty of room for civilian roles as well.

Michael Comer
                              one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                              X