Clear All

Re: Flintlock Company for C-m- L-e 1861/2011

Would happily participate....
    David Fox

Comment

I'm down on that like white on rice
      Tom Scoufalos
      [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Will,

Put me down as well. This gives me an excuse to buy a flintlock and more than year and a half should give me enough time to save up. Plus it is great to do something different.

Thanks,
        David Naples

"History is the story English majors try to write"- Anonymous Gettysburg College History major

Comment

I am the king of ru-on sentences

Originally posted by North_State_Rambler View Post
          Thanks, Garrison! Your support would mean a lot to the boys of Louisa County! We might have an extra Bible on hand for you.
          Though we seem to have the required number of 'that sounds cool, count me in posts' I cant help but think we put the cart before the horse. Lets put together a comprehensive required clothing and equipment document (which will keep some of the OTB dogs from barking too loud) and team that up with a proper list of where we can and should go. After that, if this looks doable for me, I'll send a box of Rifle Shoppe and Harpers Ferry 1816 parts to Roy Stroh and start the long hunt for the proper ramrod and bayonet.

Let this be the benchmark:

Ill take an Old Testament if you have one.
          Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM. Reason: 1816 image
          B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Mr. Fox, Mr. Scoufalos, and Mr. Naples, very glad to have you on-board.

Garrison, I've been buried under dissertation stuff this week. The documentation Paul has released to me has only stated that the company we would be represented received flintlock muskets, with no indications of their type or manufacture. My thoughts were that the ideal weapon would be an arsenal 1816 or a private contract equivalent. Repros of both are offered by Pedersoli, and available through Dixie Gunworks. Folks are free to go the custom route, but I know I can't afford Rifle Shoppe (either money or time) or Mr. Stroh. Given the fact that we have Rev-War crossovers out there, and the M1795 was basically a Charleville, I will allow Charlevilles and M1795s as well. I know there are people out there who demand that every detail on a repro gun be correct. However, I belong to the social history camp, so the point of this project is not so much having a company of folks with perfect weapons as it is having a company all armed with flintlocks, all appropriately clothed, working together in an 1861 training camp scenario. That strikes me as an awesome piece of social history experimentation. I know Paul already has the clothing guidelines written up, but will not release them until we have 30 folks expressing interest. What do you have in mind as far as guidelines for guns, since that is your area of expertise?
            Yours in The Cause,
            Will Tatum
            Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

If one is anticipating having the Rifle Shoppe prepare an M.1816/22 for a commemoration of 1861 events, may I observe that as superlative as their products are, it would likely be the 200th anniversary of 1st Bull Run before the postman brings you a box from Jones, Oklahoma.
              David Fox

Comment

Originally posted by North_State_Rambler View Post
                Mr. Fox, Mr. Scoufalos, and Mr. Naples, very glad to have you on-board.

Given the fact that we have Rev-War crossovers out there, and the M1795 was basically a Charleville, I will allow Charlevilles and M1795s as well.
                Will-

Just a quick clarification (nothing judgemental 'cause believe me I ain't an "expert" by any stretch of the imagination ;) ) re: Charlievilles...there were heaps of varieties and more than a couple are reproduced nowadays (what comes to mind are the 1763, the 1777, the "Year 9" or An IX, and some kind of dragoon model that is a full size musket). Of these, only the 1763 comes close to "typical" 1795, as that was it's progeny (and there were many types of those). For example, the 1777...which is a realtively common repro out there in the AWI circles, &cet...has a couple of ginormous differences, with a cheek cutout in the buttstock, and contoured finger grips on the trigger plate. I'm in the process of "converting" a Navy Arms 1763 Charleville into a 1795 since I have gotten out of AWI gigs; the biggest job thus far was getting a button-headed ramrod. Long story short, I made one from the trumpet-headed ramrod it came with; using one micrometer, one bench grinder, one thread dye, one dremel and a lot of patience.

The bayonet I need to research more but I am sure should be replaced altogether. The thing I need the most help with is getting the markings right; the Navy Arms stuff and Charleville script is still on there. I'm gonna hunt around for a copy of American Military Shoulder Arms to help me the rest of the way.

Finally, by admission, a 1816 in any of it's flavors would be a lot more PEC since there were something like 5 of those made for every 1 1795 (off the cuff guess but most of us know that the 1816 & clones was the most heavily produced US musket). But, when building an eclectic company, I guess you do what you can within reason.

Now, to look for that reference...
                Tom Scoufalos
                [IMG]http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=268&pictureid=2165[/IMG]

"If you don't play with your toys, someone else will after you die." - Michael Schaffner, Chris Daley, and probably other people too...

Comment

Originally posted by RN_PAC View Post
                  Will-

I'm gonna hunt around for a copy of American Military Shoulder Arms to help me the rest of the way.

Now, to look for that reference...
                  Great Lord in Heaven, maybe I'll fine someone else's to puruse...wonder if Chuck Dixon has a copy at his shop...
                  Tom Scoufalos

Comment

Gentlemen,

OK...allow me to 'Step-in-here':

I HIGHLY Recommend for those of you embarking down this path to do a little digging on what was available in the Virginia Armory ca. May/June 1861. Within this Armory located in Richmond-Virginia I think you'll be pleasantly suprised to find that a plethora of weapons were in stores at the Arsenal ranging back to yes, the AWI.

For those wishing to expand their knowledge of things Virginian...I SUGGEST getting ahold of the following book:

The Virginia Manufactury of Arms. Cromwell, Giles

You'll note that while this book seeks to dispell/clarify topics specific to the Virginia Manufactury of Arms, it also contains some background about what the Great Commonwealth was doing post-Revolution to obtain/retain weapons for the State Militia...MANY of these arms would be issued out to Militia, but many more would eventually find they're way into the forgotten receases of the Armory until the start of the Second Revolution. The book covers a number of contracts, weaponage...and if the price tag hurts, I suggest obtaining a copy through inter-library loan.

For additional reading, I SUGGEST getting a copy of the following book:

Confederate Rifles and Muskets. Murphy, John M. & Madaus, Howard M.

Again, this book also has information about what was in the Virginia Stores prior to the war...and will be an invaluable source in making decisions as to what to procure...

BOTH books have the CMH Seal of Approval.

Paul B.
                    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                    (Loblolly Mess)
                    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Men,
                      We now have 11 souls signed up for the flintlock company. We need 19 more by labor day, or the curtain will be pulled for this event. If we can get 30 men together, not only we will have the chance to pull off a pretty awesome feat, seldom seen in ACW circles, but will also have laid the groundwork for flint companies at other 1861 events, including Bull Run. Your help is needed in the continuing recruitment effort, so I urge you all to bear in mind that what we are doing here is not solely a one-shot endeavor, but something that could reap benefits for the flintlock aficionados for many years down the line.

Tom, good luck with your weapon. That sort of thing is a bit above my head, since my focus is social history, rather than material culture. Due to the constraints of reenacting realities, we will examine peoples' offering on weapons on a case-by-case basis. The emphasis will remain on M1816 variants, until the overall event organizer, Paul, who has the keys to the actual impression guidelines, says different. His message immediately proceeding mine offers about as much guidance as we are likely to have until the magick number 30 is reached.
                      Yours in The Cause,
                      Will Tatum
                      Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Put me in for the flinter company.
                        I seldom get a chance to make Old Betsy (my 1816 repro) roar.
                        I think flinters are seriously underrepresented because of "safety" concerns. I cannot understand that as there are all kinds of F&I, Rev War, 1812 without incidents.
                        Bob Gregory
                        79th NY
                        Company A

I am not really a reenactor I just spent the night at the Holiday Inn Mess

Comment

Originally posted by RN_PAC View Post

...the biggest job thus far was getting a button-headed ramrod. Long story short, I made one from the trumpet-headed ramrod it came with; using one micrometer, one bench grinder, one thread dye, one dremel and a lot of patience.

The bayonet I need to research more but I am sure should be replaced altogether. The thing I need the most help with is getting the markings right; the Navy Arms stuff and Charleville script is still on there. I'm gonna hunt around for a copy of American Military Shoulder Arms to help me the rest of the way.

I alluded to this problem earlier. I won three ramrods in an online auction for a hideous amount of money.

If we cant come up with a reasonably uncomplicated bayonet solution I'll approach a local (and very talented) smith to hammer one out for out approval...but the markings could still present a problem.

B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

My biggest concern at this point is having the barrel stamped. I brought this up on Muzzleloading Forum and got a few names of folks that can do the work but the thread was killed and deleted after an immediate and viscous Us Vs Them type argument.
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I have an ancient Navy Arms Charleville ( 3 digit # ; one piece stock; Val Forgett, Ridgefield NJ line address) with an interchangeable Harper's Ferry lock and incorrect trumpet ramrod.

I'm very apprehensive about removing the low number and address. Would this hinder its use at the proposed events?

I'm stealing one of Garrison's ramrods the first chance I get.
                              John-Owen Kline

Comment

Originally posted by John-Owen Kline View Post

I'm very apprehensive about removing the low number and address. Would this hinder its use at the proposed events?

I'm stealing one of Garrison's ramrods the first chance I get.
                                If it was up to me I would say have Roy Stroh file away. You can add the barrel to my shipment to save a few bucks.

Originally posted by David Fox View Post
                                If one is anticipating having the Rifle Shoppe prepare an M.1816/22 for a commemoration of 1861 events, may I observe that as superlative as their products are, it would likely be the 200th anniversary of 1st Bull Run before the postman brings you a box from Jones, Oklahoma.
                                Fortunately, my box from Oklahoma is already here. Thanks for the warning none the less.
                                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
                                X