This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Shiloh Federal LH Program - April 2012

For the 150th annivesary of the Battle of Shiloh, a proposal has been submitted to Shiloh National Battlefield Park for an authentic, Federal LH Program to be conducted on the annivesary weekend in April 2012. This is sponsered by SCAR & the Salt River Rifles who conducted these Federal programs from 2004-2007. More info to come as it becomes available.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Re: 150th Shiloh Federal LH Program - April 2012

Count me in! I've enjoyed the previous Shiloh events, and look forward to this one.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

The obligatory "Hey, man, I'm coming!" response post.

Always a good time at Shiloh.
      Joe Smotherman

Comment

As I've never had the opportunity to attend a Shiloh LH in the past, I look forward to attending this if at all possible.
        Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
        My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Count me in.
          Bob Muehleisen
          Furious Five
          Cin, O.

Comment

Jim...... God willing, I will be there:D
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

CANCELLED - 150th Shiloh Federal LH Program - April 2012

To my fellow c/p/h reenactors. The Shiloh National Military Park has rejected my proposal for a Federal, LH program for the 2012, 150th annivesary of the battle. Actually, they will not have ANY living history programs for the annivesary. I have copied their reply below. I realize that they are short-staffed, but to be blunt, the site is just another lazy, government, beauracratic entity that is not held to any standard of production. I know this does NOT apply to most NPS sites, but it certainly does at Shiloh and I don't want this to thread to be about the great things done at other sites.
              So, there will be no event there. We will just go put our efforts into one of many sites that appreciates the value of having quality, volunteer, tax-paying living historians!

Regards,
              Jim Butler

And by the way...I won't be at the Shiloh 150th farbfest either.
              ----------------------------------------------------------
              Here is their reply...

Thank you for your email. In the last few weeks interest in a major
              > reenactment event to be held off the park to mark the 150th anniversary of
              > the Battle of Shiloh has greatly increased. After talking with our local
              > contacts, I am confident such a Shiloh 150 reenactment will indeed take
              > place.
              >
              > Based on our experience with similar "ending in 5 or in 0" anniversary
              > events, we have decided not to try to compete by holding our regular
              > "Anniversary Weekend" living history or any similar encampments on the
              > park
              > at the same time in 2012. I believe Shiloh's resources will be stretched
              > thin just trying to accomodate the large increase in visitation that
              > always
              > occurs when there is such a national event nearby.
              >
              > I appreciate your continued interest in Shiloh National Military Park
              >
              Jim Butler

Comment

Count me in as well. I have to go to this one. My GGG Grandfather was in the 61st Illinois at Shiloh.
                Matthew S. Laird
                [email]CampMcCulloch@gmail.com[/email]
                [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rogers Lodge #460 F&AM

Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                Auxiliary, New Madrid Guards Mess
                [/COLOR]
                [I]"An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations down to a town meeting or a vestry. "[/I] Thomas Jefferson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Jim,
                  I am somewhat local (45 minutes north). Is there perhaps something I can do as far as local Government contacts that might get this event back in track? This is a shame.

Scott Bumpus

Comment

Huh? Jim, I can tell you are disappointed by the response you received, but having read it…I don’t see/understand your point. So they won’t let you “play” for the weekend on NPS property? Big deal. I’m not sure that makes Shiloh Nat’l Military Park “lazy” or “bureaucratic”. The park may be just that; I haven’t been there since 1995 so maybe you‘d know better than I. But, based on the information and argument you are presenting I see zero proof of your claims. The Park’s reply seemed fair enough. We all know that money is “tight” and we all know that funding to National Parks isn’t necessarily a priority at present. If Shiloh is like other NPS sites, that means “seasonals” don’t come on until the summer months. This also means the regular “interp” staff will have to do their “jobs” PLUS, handle who knows how many extra visitors for the anniversary event. Sounds to me like they are being proactive. (Once again…just basing this on the documentation you presented.) Also, saying Shiloh doesn’t appreciate “the value of having quality, volunteer, tax-paying, living historians” just sounds “whiney” to me. They won’t let you in the game so you’re gonna take your football and go home? Finally, your headline states “cancelled” relative to the event. BUT, as far as any of us knows, you only “submitted a proposal”. If it was not accepted then there WAS no event. Better luck next time.
                    John Marler
                    Franklin, TN

Comment

Sounds good! I think I will have to safe some money for the flight:)
                      I enjoyed visiting the battlefield in 2006 very much. Perhaps some real "dutchmen" would add to the picture:D
                      Jan H.Berger
                      Hornist

German Mess
                      http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by AppomattoxTours View Post
                        Huh? Jim, I can tell you are disappointed by the response you received, but having read it…I don’t see/understand your point. So they won’t let you “play” for the weekend on NPS property? Big deal. I’m not sure that makes Shiloh Nat’l Military Park “lazy” or “bureaucratic”. The park may be just that; I haven’t been there since 1995 so maybe you‘d know better than I. But, based on the information and argument you are presenting I see zero proof of your claims. The Park’s reply seemed fair enough. We all know that money is “tight” and we all know that funding to National Parks isn’t necessarily a priority at present. If Shiloh is like other NPS sites, that means “seasonals” don’t come on until the summer months. This also means the regular “interp” staff will have to do their “jobs” PLUS, handle who knows how many extra visitors for the anniversary event. Sounds to me like they are being proactive. (Once again…just basing this on the documentation you presented.) Also, saying Shiloh doesn’t appreciate “the value of having quality, volunteer, tax-paying, living historians” just sounds “whiney” to me. They won’t let you in the game so you’re gonna take your football and go home? Finally, your headline states “cancelled” relative to the event. BUT, as far as any of us knows, you only “submitted a proposal”. If it was not accepted then there WAS no event. Better luck next time.
                        I understand exactly what Mr. Butler is saying. It is hardly whining. There was more communication involved than this. It is clearly evident that they are not interested in doing an event at all. The off property event for a 150th Grand hoopla mainstream event is all they want. They are rejecting the CPH community and its' smaller more historically accurate Living History. We require so little to put on this type of event..in fact it would end up being a solid donation to preservation with virtually no cost to them, so it is laziness plain and simple.....Our community would offer them a more historically accurate event for their parks guests. There will be a bigger influx of people there all year long due to it being the 150th year. Why wouldn't they want more going on to promote their park? It is completely unfathomable why they would not welcome us there with open arms....For you to say they won't let us play on NPS property, so we are going home is ridiculous. They are the ones that are not being accomodating or inviting. They dont want us there. They want the big grand Farb fest because it is somewhere else and they are happy about it...They do not want Living Historians in the park. It is clear to me.
                        Last edited by PetePaolillo; 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM. Reason: spelling & edited content
                        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

The dissapointment stems from the fact that SCAR with the WIG, Mess #1, the ONV, and other quality groups have produced some outstanding living history programs that lent so much to the interpretation of Shiloh in the past, and why would they close the door on such now? By using the excuses they produced such as increased manpower needed for the rest of the park, that would be, in my eyes, one of the best reasons to have a quality living history - to provide something for the increased attendance and one less thing to have to have a ranger stationed there at Duncan Field (or wherever). I won't even need to mention that funds that have been raised each time for preservation, funds that went directly to the park...
                          Ross L. Lamoreaux
                          rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Pete,
                            I know Jim's frustration, if Vicksburg told me I couldn't do something I wanted to do I would be pissed, considering Jim swallowed his pride, did a lot of smaller events to continue a working relationship. NO living history gets put on by the National Park Service with "virtually no cost". The NPS requires one black powder certified ranger for every 15 men for a firing demo, they also will have a member of staff at the site to make sure our needs our met. The National Park Service is not required to allow anyone to host a living history, lets get that straight first. Their mission is to protect America's parks and that parks assets, not open them up to whomever. It sounds like a staffing issue there and I am guessing the staff is still small compared to the size of the site.

I personally hate that the event got canned, I intended on going and supporting Jim, who I have worked with before, and have a large amount of respect for.
                            Patrick Landrum
                            Independent Rifles

Comment

I can see ho wmy argument would sound "whiney" if I was just talking about myself. But, please not ethat I am talking about as it relates to 'everyone'. There will be NO living history at all for the annivesary. Their rejection also rejects a monetary donation that we usually present to the park (humble it has been at times, but it has added up over the years we have done the program). And actually I am being fairly restrained here with my assesment.
                              I have worked with this park for years now and I know the personalities of the people I am working with. They face the same challenges as all the NPS sites do. The difference is that other sites make things happen with the little they have to work with. So, this is not an indictment of all sites, just this one...because as others have stated there are other willing sites to work with.
                              My opinion may be harsh, but in my EXPERIENCE it is what I find to be true. If your experience with the site is otherwise, please let me know. And if someone else can make it happen, then I would be glad to support them.

Jim Butler
                              Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 11-06-2009, 10:10 AM.
                              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                              X