TPEB - Reading List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPEB - Reading List

I will be posting links to the accounts we are using to develope the historical background and specific actions of "To Prevent the Effusion of Blood" (TPEB) here for those planning to attend or interested in this important event in the War Between the States.

I am very interested in any additional first hand sources that maybe found to help me and the Tramp Brigagde Organization's planners to enrich the experience we are aiming for with TPEB.
    Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

The History of Fort Sumter

The History of Fort Sumter: An Inside History of the Affairs of 1860 and 1861, and the Events which brought on the Rebellion

By Gen. Samuel W. Crawford

Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Reminiscences of Forts Sumter and Moultrie in 1860-61

Reminiscences of Forts Sumter and Moultrie in 1860-61

By Abner Doubleday, Brevet Major General, U.S.A.

Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Re: TPEB - Reading List

An Overview of the Events at Fort Sumter 1829 - 1991

Prepared by James N. Ferguson

Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Here is a good biography on Robert Anderson. It is an easy 19 page read written by Anderson's daughter.

Major Robert Anderson and Fort Sumter, 1861 By Eliza McIntosh Clinch Anderson Lawton

Here is an excerpt...

...At the time Major Anderson, who had just been promoted to the First Artillery, was placed in command at Fort Moultrie, he had personal acquaintance with none of the officers at Moultrie. He found the Fort in a dilapidated condition. The garrison was absurdly small and all the munitions were in a condition of chaos. He realized that the people of Charleston were highly excited and that the authority of the United States was likely to be assailed. Anderson at once made a full report to Washington and demanded immediate reinforcements.

On the 11th of December, Major Anderson received instructions brought to him by Major Buell, which instructions were at once committed to writing. On Sunday, the 23d, a sealed letter was handed to him by Major Withers, Assistant Adjutant-General, which letter had been written by Floyd, Secretary of War. The letter is reproduced in facsimile with this.

The readers of to-day will realize the infamy of the instructions given to Major Anderson by the official in authority, the Secretary of War. The public orders were to defend the Fort to the last extremity. The secret " confidential " order instructed the Major to give up the Fort without a fight. It is an evidence of the loyal reticence of the man that he kept this secret to himself throughout his life.

If Major Anderson had made public that confidential order, the whole condition of affairs might have been changed.

It is probable that the White House would have been mobbed and Buchanan, the weak kneed President, and Floyd and the other men in authority, who were traitors to their oath, would have been justly called to account.

Major Anderson had, from his childhood, been brought up with a reverence and love not only for his country, but for his Government. He had a full heritage of loyal patriotism, for his father had been an officer in Washington's army and his mother was a cousin of Chief Justice Marshall. It was his loyalty to the Government that kept him from allowing anything to be known of this infamous order, because he realized that any such knowledge could only have brought the Government into contempt. No one but his Father in Heaven knew of this dastardly attempt that had been made to brand him in the eyes of the world as a traitor to his trust and to the Government, which would, of course, have denounced him had he obeyed the confidential order.

In this emergency, Anderson turned to God in prayer, and under the divine guidance he was able to escape the snare that had been set for him.

On the 26th of December, 1860, he abandoned Fort Moultrie and moved his force to Fort Sumter, and not until the order was given to man the boats did even his officers know of his intention. At Sumter, the flag was raised with prayer.

Promptly from Washington came a telegram, which with answer is presented below:

Received At Charleston, Dec. 27,1860, At 2 O'clock p. M. By Telegraph From Washington, 27тн, то Maj. R. Anderson, U. S. A.

Fort Moultrie.

" Intelligence has reached here this morning that you have abandoned Fort Moultrie, spiked your guns, burnt the carriages, and gone to Fort Sumter. It is not believed, because there is no order for any such movement. Explain the meaning of this report.

" J. B. Floyd,

"Sec'y of War"

Answer: " The telegram is correct. I abandoned Fort Moultrie because I was certain that, if attacked, my men must have been sacrificed and the command of the harbor lost. I spiked the guns and destroyed the carriages to keep the guns from being used against us. If attacked, the garrison would never have surrendered without a fight.

" Robert Anderson,

" Major 1st Arty. Comdg, " Fort Sumter, S. C.,

" 4 p. M., Dec. 27, '60."

On the back of the telegram is written by Major Anderson the rough draft of his reply. It is interesting to note, in connection with Floyd's order, Anderson's answer that "the garrison would never have surrendered without a fight." This is the officer who, by some, was stigmatized as " not loyal to the Union." There are few parallel cases in history. Many men have died for their country, but few have been so devoted in their loyalty as to be prepared, even at the risk of loss of reputation, to protect their government from contempt. The flag-staff at Fort Moultrie, where Jasper in the old days had raised the national flag, was cut down by the order of Major Anderson who said, "No other flag but the Stars and Stripes shall ever float from that staff."
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

The genesis of the Civil war: the story of Sumter, 1860-1861, by Samuel Wylie Crawford

This book gives some good insight into the events leading up to the evacuation and subsequent occupation of Ft Sumter. Sam Wylie Crawford, who joined the U.S. Army as an assistant surgeon in 1851 and served in that capacity for ten years, was the Surgeon at Ft Moultrie when evacuated. He was also on duty at Fort Sumter, during the Confederate bombardment in 1861. Despite his medical background, he was put in command of several of the artillery pieces returning fire from the fort.

For a preview from Google Books click here

available through Amazon and other locations
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

For those of you who are portraying SC militia and perhaps laborers I would suggest the book "The Road to Disunion: Secessionists Triumphant Vol. II" by William W. Freehling. I'm 7 chapters in so far, and the book does an excellent job of running through the course of events from 1854-1861 that led to SC secession. I'll be portraying a civilian laborer for part of the weekend and SC militia for the 2nd half of the event and this book will help me develop political views that are appropiate to the time period and impression.
              Pards,

Jared Byrnes

Comment

Both the Federal Soldiers and South Carolina Militia will be drilling on Heavy Artillery during "To Prevent the Effusion of Blood".

Instruction for Heavy Artillery, prepared by a Board of Officers, for the use of the Army of the United States - 1851 - http://books.google.com/books?id=02cDAAAAYAAJ
                Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                X