The Women and Children of the Federal Garrision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Women and Children of the Federal Garrision

On Page 103 of Surgeon Crawford's Account he mentions what occurred to the Women and Children, as well as the Supplies of the Garrison.

To ensure secrecy in the movement, Major Anderson had not communicated his intention to any of his officers until their co-operation and assistance were indispensable. As the principal means of transportation for the troops were the boats in use by the Engineer Department at Fort Sumter and Castle Pinckney, and the assistance of the officers of that department was important, Lieutenants Snyder and Meade, the officers in charge of those works, were early informed of his purpose and intention. By noon the women and children had embarked upon the two lighters in readiness at the wharf at Sullivan's Island. The provisions for four months had been put on board, and Lieutenant Hall, the adjutant of the post, who had been put in charge by Major Anderson, received, for the first time, his orders to proceed towards Fort Johnson. He was not to land, but to await the firing of two signal guns from Fort Moultrie, when he was to make all sail for Fort Sumter, as the report of those guns would inform him that the command had safely arrived there.
    You can read the full book through Google Books and download an electronic copy here... http://books.google.com/books?id=ZOsSAAAAYAAJ

Once a final decision is made, we will announce our Civilian Coordinator for TPEB.

We have a limited number of spaces available for Women and Children in this event, it is our intention to send out individual invitations for these roles. I have a few I've already contacted about this and a few more I intend to over the next month.

If you are interested in participating as a civilian, please feel free to contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com and we will make the best effort to accomodate your participation within the constraints we have.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Re: The Women and Children of the Federal Garrision

My Thanks to Terri Olszowy for finding this February 7th, 1861 New York Times Article...

FROM FORT SUMTER.; THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN SENT AWAY. THEIR ARRIVAL AT THIS PORT ON BOARD THE MARION CONDITION OF THE GARRISON. THE FORCE IN THE FORT. PROVISIONS.

Granted this article was written several weeks after the events we are going to recreated during "To Prevent the Effusion of Blood", it does provide a good deal of detail concerning who the Women and Children of the Federal Garrison were and what they went through during their stay at Fort Sumter from 27 December 1860 to February 1861.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Appeared in the NY Times December 17, 1860

An Attack on Fort Moultrie Expected. THE CHARLESTONIANS ERECTING BATTERIES--; FEELING OF THE GARRISON.
      The following letter is from the wife of an officer stationed at Fort Moultrie:

FORT MOULTRIE, Dec. 11, 1860.

DEAR _____: I feel too indignant. I can hardly stand the way in which this weak little garrison is treated by the heads of the Government. Troops and proper accommodation are positively refused, and yet the commander has orders to hold and defend the fort. Was ever such a sacrifice (an intentional one) known? The Secretary has sent several officers, at different times, to inspect here, as if that helped. It is a mere sham, to make believe he will do something. In the meantime a crisis is very near. I am to go to Charleston the first of the week. I will not go further if I can help it.

Within a few days we hear -- and from so many sources that we cannot doubt it -- that the Charlestonians are erecting two batteries, one just opposite us, at a little village, Mount Pleasant, and another on the end of this island; and they dare the commander to interfere while they are getting ready to fight sixty men. In this weak little fort I suppose President BUCHANAN and Secretary FLOYD intend the Southern Confederation to be cemented with the blood of this brave little garrison.

These names shall be handed down to the end of time.

When the last man is shot down, I presume they will think of sending troops. The soldiers here deserve great credit -- though they know what an unequal number is coming to massacre them, yet they are in good spirits, and will fight desperately. Our commander says he never saw such a brave little band. I feel desperate myself. Our only hope is in God. My love to father and all.

Your affectionate SISTER.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

printed in the NY Times January 5, 1861

AFFAIRS IN SOUTH CAROLINA.; LETTERS FROM AN OFFICER IN FORT SUMTER AND FROM A PROMINENT CITIZEN OF CHARLESTON.

The Troy Times publishes two letters written by an officer in Fort Sumter to his father, who resides in Troy. In the first letter, which was written just before the evacuation of Fort Moultrie, the officer in question says:

"There have been not a few offers of aid from the Northern States. Regiments would come, and in plenty, and it is indeed one of the most cheering passages in our anxious experience that we have evidence of practical sympathy. But not a man will be accepted, unless by order of the proper Department at Washington. We will try to sustain the credit of our position with these few. The spirit of the men is noble; they are perfectly up to the sentiment of doing their duty, and perhaps one of the test evidences of their conduct may be found in the fact that not a man has deserted, or been drunk, for nearly three months."

The second letter, written just, after the transfer to Fort Sumter, is as follows:

FORT SUMTER, Evening, Dec. 26, 1860.

MY DEAR FATHER: Before this reaches you, you will probably have learned that we have literally taken the bull by the horns." Soon after sunset this evening, we evacuated Fort Moultrie, and are now established in this impregnable fortress, where we are perfectly unapproachable; while at the came time we command perfectly the harbor and Fort Moultrie itself. Vessels have been sent down every night, and have watched us closely with a view to prevent this very move, but we have weathered them. Hurran for Major ANDERSON! We have a man that is not afraid of responsibility, and who had more judgment and a better sense of duty than have ordinarily guided public men.

At Fort Moultrie, we could not fail to have succumbed before the large force that was probably on the point of being launched against us Between batteries, a close fire of riflemen and a few columns of assault, we must have been forced to have yielded; although it would not have been without the loss, perhaps of every man there.

Major ANDERSON has been delighted with the temper and spirit of this little command, not a man of which would have flinched from any struggle that might have befallen, us. We are not to be touched here. It is four times as large as Fort Moultrie, but the walls are sixty feet high, and no landing can be made. There Is but one regret; that is, that Fort Moultrie could not have been blown up. To night, however, everything that can be destroyed will be. I am sure a general feeling of relief will be experienced by the country at large at this step, taken solely upon Major ANDERSON'S responsibility.

Not a man at the fort had the slightest intimation of this move, and only one or two officers, until the moment it was executed. Our property and the families are all safe here, with six months' provisions, hospital stores, &c. The guns at Moultrie are spiked and the flagstaff cut down, so that no Palmetto flag can ever float on that stick. There is already a great excitement in the city; signal rockets are fired from the Island, but it is too late; we have decidedly got the bull by the muzzle. The revenue can be collected now, and the Administration can do its duty if it will. We all think we have done the right thing, because we are stronger than ever; and although we left our old home with regret, and disliked much to waste the labor that has been lavished there, we are unquestionably now in our right place and position as soldiers and citizens. We did not leave from fear, but because there our blood would have been uselessly shed. Here, such a thing is impossible, unless these people are determined to butt their heads out against these walls, and I hope they have brains enough left not to attempt that. To morrow morning the stars and stripes will be hoisted over our new position, although the sight will sting South Carolina to the quick.
        [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
        ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
        X