Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 1st Manassas- CS Regiment to be formed-July 22-24, 2011

Gents-
    Here is the pitch- Ever seen a 10 Company Regiment in action at a event? Ever seen a full sized brigade of Campaigner minded individuals?

Numerous leaders in the Authentic side of the hobby are gathering to portray 1 full Infantry regiment of Bees Brigade at the 150th Manassas Event in July 2011.

The impression will be the 2nd Mississippi that was brigaded with the 11th Miss, 4th Alabama, and 6th NCT. Research is being handled and will be posted on a Website (to be published)

At the time of 1st Manassas the 2nd had around 550 present for duty- this would amount to about 40-50 per company. For this event we are shooting for 30-50 per company.

We will be reaching out to Organizations to discuss potential of raising a company.

So far the WIG under Tripp Corbin, and a couple other units are signed on to provide companies.. about 6 of 10 already looking to be worked.

Leadership has not been set, with the focus being on assigning company contacts and impression guidelines. Please know that this regiment was selected not only for their honorable service, but the impression they possessed early in the war will be simple for most to get without breaking the bank. Again more to come on this!

Initial Blast to gain interest and get companies working.

Due out- Website/Company designation/ and more research for impression-

Cheers gents!

Skip
    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Re: 2011 1st Manassas- CS Regiment to be formed-July 2011

This sounds awsome. I have been looking forward to going the a Manassas Event, now I guess I am!
    Michael Mumaugh
    Interpretive Ranger Mansfield SHS
    Independent Rifles

"Fall of the Rebellion"
    Outpost III
    Pickett's Mill
    Bummers

"Desertion of Alabama troops in the Civil War was a manifestation of sectionalism in the state, due largely to the prevalence of poverty"-Bessie Martin

Comment

Skip,

I sincerely hope that this idea will come to fruition. It would be a perfect way to kick of the 150th cycle and would hopefully lay the foundation for future cooperation/participation amongst the leading organizations in the hobby.

The impression chosen seems solid and I look forward to preparing my kit for the event.

Thanks for posting the idea. I would love to see 8-10 companies of campaigners at Mannassas.
      Scott Chadwick Evans
      Charleston, S.C.

Comment

That sounds like an outstanding idea. I hope it will be the first of many similar undertakings.
        "God created Man...Sam Colt made us equal."

Comment

Count me in.
          Regards,
          John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Thanks gents and others for the support on this. With the help of many we will get the Company assignements and official Impression Standards published. More to Follow, but most of the Company Commanders have voiced their interest, with 3 still open..

skip
            [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

-Point to note is that there are 3 companies labeled as "pre-War" Companies, these would be dressed in a manner of the State regs. Others are noted as being in a mis-match of uniformity while in harpers ferry.. so the assumption that we all need to be in state type of frock is probabally a leap. What we do also know is the whole regiment was labeled by the IG at harpers ferry,

The two regiments from Mississippi have with them their tents and camp equipage, but are not satisfied with their arms, which are chiefly of the old flint-lock musket altered into percussion. As usual with troops of this description, they all want rifles. They were informed that, for the present, they must rest contented with such arms as it was in the power of the Government to give them. One of these regiments (the Eleventh), under the command of Colonel Moore, is very superior to the other (the Second), under Colonel Falkner. The latter is badly clothed and very careless in its appointments. The officers are entirely without military knowledge of any description, and the men have a slovenly and unsoldier-like appearance. The other regiment seems to take much pride in its appearance, and is endeavoring to improve itself by military exercises...

Exposure to many cold, rainy nights had caused some severe colds among the men from the extreme South, and there were some cases of the ordinary camp diseases, but nothing very serious. The clothing of the troops is not abundant, and, in the regiment from Mississippi, under Colonel Falkner, almost every necessary is wanting. They seem to have come away from home without making proper preparations in this respect, and, indeed, it would seem that they expected to receive on their arrival in Virginia all the appointments of a soldier. [15]

O.R., 2, p. 868-869.

A – Tishomingo Riflemen, Tishomingo County

B – O’Connor Rifles, Tippah County

C – Town Creek Riflemen, Itawamba County

D – Joe Matthews Rifles (or Beck Rifles), Tippah County

E – Calhoun Rifles, Itawamba County

F – Magnolia Rifles, Tippah County

G – Pontotoc Minute Men, Pontotoc County

H – Coonewah Rifles, Pontotoc County

I – Cherry Creek Rifles, Pontotoc County

K – Iuka Rifles, Tishomingo County

L – Liberty Guards, Tippah County
              [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

Gents there was a slight delay in getting this up.. There are several updates to this effort in the past Months. In fact we are up to 8 companies already assigned. We need to confirm these with the host units and the Regimental Staff to post here in the near future. If you are part of a company I imagine that the coordinators have contacted you..

Due outs-
                Uniform Guidelines to include coordination for Vendor Specials and possibly bully buys..

Company assignments. If you are a company rep please look at the original company list and begin to decide which original company you wish to portray.

Event details. Working with the Event Staff and Brigade Staff closely on this to ensure we are in fact given the freedom to conduct the weekend in the manner we would like

Regimental Staff nominations and decisions.

Thanks for all your interest!

Cheers,
                Skip
                [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

Skip,

Let me know what you need form me as well....I know that the 4th Alabama, 6th NC and Hampton's Legion's are all filling nice as well...It truly would be awesome to see 800-900 cphers in one pile at the event.

Pards,
                  S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

I'm there for this one too, Skip. Would it be possible to post the guidelines way-ahead-of time since early-war uniforms/hardware will be needed for it?

How about a Bully Buy for these garments/weapons/accoutrements well in-advance before the event ...?

:wink_smil-Johnny
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                    SCAR
                    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny- We are working on those right now.. just a brief synopsis of what we are looking at:

Overshirts
                      Civilian Trousers
                      Tin-Drum Canteens
                      Forked tounge belts

Those are all things we have ID to this unit. There is much talk of Knapsacks in regards to this unit, but no details of the type/design.

Bully buys would be a great idea!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Skip
                      [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

Comment

Don't forget webbing, seems I remember the 2nd getting tons of it at the Ferry prior to heading to the Valley and then to Manassas....
                        S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Originally posted by elcid01 View Post
                          Johnny- We are working on those right now.. just a brief synopsis of what we are looking at:

Overshirts
                          Civilian Trousers
                          Tin-Drum Canteens
                          Forked tounge belts

Those are all things we have ID to this unit. There is much talk of Knapsacks in regards to this unit, but no details of the type/design.

Bully buys would be a great idea!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Skip
                          Quite simple enough for many to afford- I'd say most have these items already... sounds agreeable. How about firelock? To my understanding the generic P53 Enfield is a bit too early for most 1st Manassas units.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Bro. Lloyd,

Give us patience. We're working feverishly researching. I've spent hours digging descriptions, original photos, etc. and others guys have too. Skip will make the announcement when all is settled. And I'm glad to see you're just as excited as a bunch of us are.
                            Matt Woodburn
                            Retired Big Bug
                            WIG/GHTI
                            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Who is putting this event on?
                              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                              X