South Carolina Militia Standards Published

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Militia Standards Published

The South Carolina Militia Standards for "To Prevent the Effusion of Blood" are completed and available here in Adobe PDF format.

The South Carolina Militia will be portraying the 17th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia and these standards are based off the South Carolina Militia Law and first hand accounts of the equipments and uniforms these Soldiers had.

I would like to offer my thanks and appreciation to all of the living historians who assisted me in the development of these standards and in their critical review of the research used to create them.

if you have any question concerning these standards please contact the Event Coordinator - Pete Berezuk at pete.berezuk@gmail.com concerning them.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Desired Militia Impression

Since publishing the draft Militia Standards, I've received a number of good questions about what we desire to see our participants as South Carolina Militiamen wearing. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I asked Greg Deese to have his picture taken in a representative Militia Kit.

Click on the image for a larger copy

Our desired Militia impression is of a mobilized citizen member of the 17th Regiment, equipped in accordance with the South Carolina Militia Law. Here are some notes for clarification.

- Our example is wearing civilian clothing of pre-1860 patterns, materials and construction. The Beat Militia had no uniform requirements and we will have considerable lee way in the dress of our Militia participants. We do ask that our participants consider the expected weather in January in the Carolina Low Country and wear clothing appropriate to exposure to the elements.

- The weapon our example is carrying is an 1842 Model smooth bore Musket in .69cal. These weapons were produced at both National Armories as well as under contract for the State of South Carolina (the 'Palmetto' Musket). There were in excess of 12,000 weapons of this type in the Charleston Federal Armory when it was seized in December 1960. The Militia was required to maintain their own weapons, so in addition to pre-1860 military arms we will allow civilian fowlers, rifles and shotguns.

- The Accoutrements our example has on are of the old 1839 Federal pattern with white buff belts. The South Carolina Militia Law required that Militia Men keep and maintain cartridge boxes or powder horns and shot bags appropriate for thier weapon. Because of this research we will have considerable lee way given to our militia participants in bringing accoutrements appropriate for thier chosen weapon.

My hope is this is helpful to our registered and planned participants. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly at pete.berezuk@gmail.com.

My thanks to Greg Deese for taking the time to get his picture taken in a representative kit.
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Re: Desired Militia Impression

Anyone who is portrayiing South Carolina Militia at TPEB might be interested in this one.

On December 21, 1860, the Richmond Daily Dispatch reported on the preparations for war in Charleston, South Carolina. Here is a detailed list of equipment for the Washington Light Artillery

Outfit for War.

The volunteer companies in Charleston are preparing for "field operations." The Mercury publishes the following as the outfit of the Washington Light Infantry, a company numbering 85 men. It is interesting to our military friends:
      Single-breasted frock coat, of cadet grey cassimere; one row Palmetto buttons on front. Pants same material, with black stripe inch wide on outer seams. Overcoat same material, army pattern, with cape, &c. Leggins of calf-skin, to lace up as high as the calf of the leg, and to fit snugly over the feet. Belt of black patent leather, with buckle, &c.--Knapsack — a very simple kind, similar to those worn by the Swiss guides, (without the usual wooden frame.) Haversack — enamelled cloth, with leather straps, &c. Canteen of gutta perchs, to hold two quarts — an entirely new article; it fits the person comfortably, and keeps the water pure and fresh.

Rubber cloth--one piece, three feet wide and six feet long to each man — an indispensable article to light troops. Blankets — plain grey-- 5 pt. mackinaw, 3 ½ lbs. in weight. Hat — plain felt, brownish color, looped upon left side. Two pairs winter drawers, two colored flannel shirts, two pairs woolen socks, one extra pair shoes (heavy soles.)

They have also provided twelve rubber caps with capes for the guard in rainy weather, which, with the piece of rubber cloth already alluded to, will keep the men perfectly dry.--Each officer is armed with a revolver and provided with a pocket compass. The captain is provided, in addition, with a field glass.

In addition to this complete outfit, there have been provided India rubber mattresses, pillows, and blankets lined with rubber cloth, India rubber bottles (pints and quarts) for medicines. These are intended for the comfort of the sick, if any there be. Their camp buckets and other utensils are also of rubber goods. The company are daily expecting one hundred improved stand of arms, with cartridge boxes, cap pouches, etc
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
      X