• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resolutions Aux Temps

CHARLESTON MERCURY, November 30, 1860, p. 1, c. 2

Resolutions Aux Temps

To the Editor of the Charleston Mercury:
    A party of young ladies, recently, while sipping inspiration from the China leaf, became warmly imbued with the spirit of the times, and after electing officers, etc., drew up the following resolutions:
    Resolved, That we, though by Divine authority termed the "weaker vessels," are nevertheless endowed with resolute wills, and hence have the power to make resolves, and to keep them,
    Resolved, That since the election of Lincoln to the Presidency, we consider our allegiance to the North as ended, and will therefore use our influence in favor of an immediate secession,
    Resolved, that we honor all men who are for this movement, but are determined to secede ourselves from all who are opposed to it,
    Resolved, That at present the best "feather in the cap" of any young man, is the "Palmetto cockade," and it makes our hearts flutter to see one mounted above a manly brow,
    Resolved, That "gunpowder tea" shall be our favorite beverage, and "percussion caps" the only ones that we shall set,
    Resolved, That "Yankee Doodle" is now defunct, and we can henceforth play only marches and quicksteps, and sing of the Lone Star, the Soldier's Return, etc.,
    Resolved, That the Military Institution of the State is a great institution, and her Cadets great fellows,
    Resolved, That notwithstanding we feel duly grateful to the Yankees for their past services in making our shoes, &c., we are now seized with a decided predilection in favor of French boots, and hope to get a supply as soon as our Southern President becomes inaugurated.
    Resolved, That since the weather is getting quite cold, and manufacturing establishments South rather scarce, we will hold on to our Northern "goods and chattels" a while longer, knowing that our silks and worsteds are from Europe, and feeling that to our calicos and cotton stuffs, at least, we have the original, the "God-given" right,
    Resolved, That though our Palmetto shades are dearer to us than life, yet we love every State at the South--two of them especially--and dwell with delight upon the beautiful lake scenery of the one, and the mountain and grotto view--ideal-painted--of the other,
    Resolved, That we honor the sons of Carolina in proportion to their patriotism, and are ready to yield up our hearts to the first Garibaldi who shall show himself,
    Resolved, That we wish the world to know our views on the present issue of events, and will therefore place them at the disposal of the Charleston Mercury.
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Re: Resolutions Aux Temps

CHARLESTON MERCURY, January 1, 1861, p. 1, c. 4

A Query.

Several young ladies having dear friends at the forts, volunteer their services to enact the part of Florence Nightingale, during the impending struggle. Will their offer be accepted?
    Daughters of the "Spunky Little State."
    Monday, December 31.

CHARLESTON MERCURY, January 3, 1861, p. 2, c. 2
    The Brave and the Fair.--We suppose that every body knows, by this time, that all the good ladies--young and old--of Charleston are busy as bees, preparing creature comforts of all kinds for the gallant men who are keeping watch and ward on the ramparts and breastworks which defend our city. We might enumerate a host of good things which we have been the happy instruments of transmitting to worthy recipients--good things of every imaginable kind, from turkeys to sandwiches, and from mattresses to lint. (For the last named article we hope that our volunteers may have no special use--unless it be to stuff the mattresses--for, with all deference, we submit that lint, although perhaps less agreeable than feathers, would at all events be a happy substitute for straw).
    We received, last night the following piquant, as well as patriotic, little note, brimful of generosity, and duly authenticated with the writer's name. Without having taken the pain to consult the Chiefs of the Commissary Department, we venture to respond most emphatically (from personal acquaintance with a number of non-commissioned officers), that no edible delicacy, of any nature whatsoever, even leaving out of view the enchanting fact of its having been prepared by fair hands, is at all likely to go a-begging at this time, within the martial precincts of Fort Moultrie, Castle Pinckney or Morris' Island. And now, without more ado, we print the note, so that all our young compaigners, in reading the Mercury, may at least revel in the pleasures of anticipation:
    While everybody else is volunteering his or her services, to aid in this great cause of Southern independence, I would not be idle. My every pulse beats secession; and in thinking of the wrongs we have suffered from Yankee oppression, I am actually imbued with the spirit of John of Arc.
    I have concluded, however, to relinquish this, and adopt the more feminine position of Florence Nightingale.
    I also have many dear friends at the forts (not Fort Sumter). Please add my name to that list of sister spirits who have tendered their services. I will promise also to make every delicacy that a Southern soldier can fancy. If my services are accepted, please inform me through the columns of your glorious paper.
    From one who is proud to be
    The Daughter of a Nullifier.
    David Stieghan
    aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
    Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
    Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

Re: Resolutions Aux Temps

Originally posted by DBAR1918 View Post
      Resolved, That the Military Institution of the State is a great institution, and her Cadets great fellows,
      :tounge_sm

HERE, HERE, SIR! MAY GOD SAVE THE SOUTH AND THE SOUTH CAROLINA MILITARY ACADEMY AT THE CITADEL!

Had to give a shout-out to my alma mater ya'll...

;)
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 11-09-2010, 07:55 AM.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
      X