Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions regarding the Company D impression

Gents,

I wanted to open up a thread in case there were questions on our physical impression (aka - material culture stuff). Also, if you are reading or researching and find some interesting information, please feel free to share it here!

Here is a link to the regulations on the event website.

Headwear:
    BLACK slouch hat. Either looped up on the sides like a tricorn per Mississippi regulations, or with a side pinned up with a star for Mississippi, or just a plain black slouch hat.
    Uniform Coats/Shirts:
    All other companies (except company A) should wear a solid red wool flannel shirt with one white star on each collar. The shirt may have pockets or not, styles can vary, and really any red wool flannel shirt is acceptable. Individual company commanders are encouraged to talk to their respective company to try to reasonably attain a uniform look in the style of red shirts. Since no evidence is given in the Mississippi regulations to put NCO rank on fatigue shirts, and we can find no images of rank on the sleeves of overshirts, NCOs wearing red shirts will NOT wear chevrons. This will make it easier on the NCOs.
    I would add that a very limited number of men in civilian garb would be acceptable.

Uniform Pants:
    Military style gray trousers are preferred for all companies. NO federal light blue trousers (the G.O. to change from dark blue trousers to light blue trousers in the Federal Army did not occur until December of 1861 after Manassas), or civilian patterned trousers (unless entirely civilian attired). Uniformed in a red shirt is preferred, but a very limited handful of fully civilian clothed soldiers will be accepted. Check with your company commander (emphasis added by Wickett) if you intend to come in civilian attire.
    Under Garments:
    Period pattern civilian or military drawers and socks are acceptable. No modern underwear or socks.
    If you need to be told not to wear modern stuff, you're signing up for the wrong company. Nuf Sed.

Footwear:
    Confederate or Federal issue brogans. Since Federal brogans would have been the model used just prior to secession in southern states, they are acceptable.
    Belts and Leather Goods:
    BLACK leathers are the order of the day. We prefer black waist belts and black cartridge box belts. We are looking for a uniform appearance. Get out your blacking and clean up your late war looking leathers. Plain Confederate style boxes, not identified as later war manufactured, are preferred. Early war Federal leathers are acceptable as long as NO U.S. plates are used.
    Generally, I would say pre-war US pattern cartridge boxes are preferred. I would add that a US M1808 box would not be a bad idea. I will be examining available information on Company D and the rest of the 2nd MS to find out what might be a "best choice" for bayonet carriage (e.g. sewn scabbard -vs- balderic).

Canteens and Haversacks:
    Confederate model tin drum or wooden canteens, and Confederate pattern haversacks, tarred or plain cloth.
    This sounds like "No US M8158 canteens" to me.

Knapsacks:
    Blanket rolls are STRONGLY preferred because the Second sent away their baggage including knapsacks on July 17th per Old Ord’s Journal. Mexican war hardpacks or early war Federal double bags are the only acceptable knapsacks if you must carry one. A mid-war knapsack will have a leather disc sewn over the brass that connects the shoulder straps and cross straps at your breast, and is NOT acceptable.
    Let's avoid knapsacks as much as possible.

Blankets:
    Civilian, gray with black stripes with the U.S. taken out, and white blankets are acceptable.
    Groundcloths:
    Painted, tarred, and oil cloths are acceptable. No gum blankets or later war Confederate styles.
    Tentage:
    NONE.
    None

Arms:
    Smoothbore, percussion muskets are preferred, i.e. U.S. Model 1842 or earlier models converted to percussion (any style Cone in barrel, drum or bolster). NO flintlocks in the Second! We know there are guys who do not have a smoothbore musket, so if all you have is an Enfield Rifle, that is acceptable. U.S. Model 1861 and later Springfields are discouraged. Please bring the appropriate bayonet for your longarm. Side arms are not permitted to be carried by enlistedmen. Carrying a fighting knife is encouraged and permitted by the event.
    Generally speaking, my preference is for a 69-cal three-band musket with a double-strap upper band. For reproduction muskets, the '42 is a "best bet", with the Pedersoli '16 conversion also being acceptable. If anyone has made their Charleville or early 19th Century repro flintlock into a drum conversion, that would be fine, too.

Re: Original Muskets - Acceptable originals would basically be any percussion or percussion-conversion 69-cal US musket, as well as foreign arms meeting the criteria described above. These would include French/Belgian '22's and '42's, Piedmontese, etc.
    Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Re: Questions regarding the Company D impression

Fellas, Below you will find a quick form that will help me get all of our shirts made and distributed properly.

I also have a small amount of gray wool broadcloth that I can make into trousers if anyone needs them. I have enough to maybe do the first 5 guys at $100. If others need grey trousers, I may be able to accomodate them after ordering in some different cloth.

For shirt orders, just print the form and mail it to me. For trousers, call me at 812-239-9136 and I'll make sure you get what you need for Mannassas. Please don't tarry on ordering, I'll work with you guys on payment if need be but I can't get 50 orders two weeks before the event and get them filled.

JER
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

What type of buckle?
      Regards,
      John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Questioning the mass amounts of red shirts from Matt Woodburn's article:
        "The latter is badly clothed and very careless in its appointments."

The clothing of the troops is not abundant, and, in the regiment from Mississippi, under Colonel Falkner, almost every necessary is wanting.
        -so they were ill equipped and poorly dressed-

Men enlisted and wore their own clothing until a uniform could be procured for them.

Question:
        How do these accounts reconcile with requiring the bulk of men in matching red shirts and black hats?
        Regards,
        John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

Ever see this picture? From Harpers Weekly titled "2nd Mississippi on it's way to Bunker Hill". They're passing in front of the Taylor Hotel in Winchester VA. Bee's brigade was camped there after the evacuation of Harpers Ferry until before 1st Manassas. Interesting battle shirts, hats, and what appears to be dark trousers.
          Attached Files
          [I][FONT="Garamond"]Jaime George
          5th Virginia, Company A
          Stonewall Brigade

"I'm doing much better, now that I've given up hope..."[/FONT][/I]

Comment

To John's Question:
            In the absence of specific information about how some companies (The Joe Matthew's Rifles being one) were dressed, the research article on the event website makes reference to accounts of the 2nd Miss during the battle, including a New York Times article:

the 2nd Mississippi Infantry, commanded by Col. William C. Faulkner, were “uniformed exactly like one of the Minnesota regiments, occasioning a mistake in the late battle”
            “Adding to the confusion at First Bull Run was the fact that the First Minnesota, among other units, was not yet wearing regular army uniforms. Company K had been presented neat grey outfits by the citizens of Winona, and the state had furnished the rest of the regiment with black felt hats, black pantaloons, and red flannel shirts.”3 This general appearance is very similar to the Second Mississippi in gray uniforms and red shirts. The mistake mentioned was one where Second Mississippi Lt. Col. Bartley Boone assumed that a red clad regiment which was firing into the ranks of the Second Mississippi was the Fourth Alabama Infantry who Boone knew to also be clad in red shirts.
            Your observation is valid and is the reason why a small percentage (very small) of our company may/should be in civilian garb.

Unfortunately, we only know so much, unlike the company of my screen-namesake where we no almost everything but the pattern of knapsack used. ;)

Good question.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by fytn5th View Post
              Ever see this picture? From Harpers Weekly titled "2nd Mississippi on it's way to Bunker Hill". They're passing in front of the Taylor Hotel in Winchester VA. Bee's brigade was camped there after the evacuation of Harpers Ferry until before 1st Manassas. Interesting battle shirts, hats, and what appears to be dark trousers.
              Yes, that is a great pic. Also, the dark trousers would appear to be corroborated (sp???) by the NY Times article referenced in my above post.

Glad to see a li'l chatter here. Drill weekend cometh!!!
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger

Comment

John,

The only way to understand this complex unit is to read EVERYTHING I posted on the website. Then you will understand the complexities. And even though there are 2-3 period accounts of red shirts, I think I could successfully argue that point is wrong. But you have to read everything. And only then can you get close. My posted information is done on a by company basis. Those companies that have nothing are in red shirts based on the 2-3 period accounts that indicate they were in red.
                Matt Woodburn
                Retired Big Bug
                WIG/GHTI
                Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Good point, Matt. There is a lot of specific information we don't know. However, given the period accounts of the regiment that are available, there is a lot we can do to help the portrayal of the regiment as a whole.

Yes, I wish there was more detail there to allow us to flesh out the bones of our individual impressions. But, if you read carefully the information available, there is a lot of information there that gives a general sense of the condition of the regiment and how it appeared at the time of the battle... not to mention its level of preparedness, and level of knowledge of drill, tactics, etc.
                  John Wickett
                  Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Working...
                  X