Biographies of the Minute Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biographies of the Minute Men

For those of you who may be doing a portrayal. Here is a link to some useful information.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ms...CoGBioMain.htm

Kind Regards
    Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Re: Biographies of the Minute Men More on Hugh R. Miller of Company G

Dean Burchfield
    [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
    Cleburnes
    Hard Case Boys
    Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
    Napoléon Bonaparte
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Re: Biographies of the Minute Men

Combs, James W . Born October 4, 1839 in Alabama, according to the Miller Muster, James Combs was the son of William Combs, a Pontotoc County farmer (listed in the 1860 census as owning $2,000 of real property and $1,465 of personal property and as a neighbor to Joseph Clements above). William Combs, who also served in Company G, was another son. James was slightly wounded in the Battle of First Manassas, where his conduct was described as follows by Lt. Charles D. Fontaine in his August 9, 1861 article in The Examiner: "While on the subject of anecdotes of the wounded, I will mention another, illustrating the courage of Jim Combs. He was scalped by a ball, and knocked senseless for some time. He revived and rose up, as I am told, amid a shower of balls, very coolly commenced loading his gun, and only left his position of danger, when he had completed the job, to find his comrades." James Combs was elected Second Lieutenant at the reorganization of the Company on April 21, 1861. He participated in the Battle of Seven Pines and Gaines Farm. He was wounded at the Battle of Second Manassas on august 29, 1862 and returned to duty on November 20, 1862. He was wounded on the third day of the Gettysburg battle on July 3, 1863, but returned to duty on August 2. He was present at Bristoe Station, the Wilderness battles, Talley's Mill, Spotsylvania Courthouse, Bethesda Church, Weldon Railroad, Fort Archer and the October 27, 1864 engagement at Hatcher's Run. He was listed as on a "furlough of indulgence" in the last Company muster in February 1865.

Cooper, Thomas J. Thomas Cooper was 18 when he enlisted in Company G in April 1861. He participated in the Battle of First Manassas, where Capt. Miller reported he helped bear Lt. Palmer's body from the field. He was promoted to Corporal on March 1, 1862, and participated in the Battles of Seven Pines on May 31 and June 1. He was wounded at Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862, and was named to the Roll of Honor for his bravery at that battle. He recovered and participated in the Second Manassas, South Mountain and Sharpsburg battles in 1862. Although ill on the first day of the Gettysburg battle, he was present for the charge on the third day. He was slightly wounded with a fractured rib at the May 5, 1864 Battle of the Wilderness and was granted a 60-day furlough on May 20, 1864 on account of his wounds. He returned to duty September 27, 1864 and participated in the battles around Petersburg at Fort Archer and Hatcher's Run in October 1864 and February 1865. He was captured at Hatcher's Run on April 2, 1865 and taken to Fort Delaware, where he was released on oath of allegiance June 11, 1865.

Daggett, Frederick H. Fred Daggett was one of the two sons of Horace and Lydia Daggett of Pontotoc. Horace Daggett was a merchant, the owner of a single slave and the brother of Stephen Daggett. Stephen was Hugh R. Miller's brother in law and a wealthy Pontotoc County planter (who owned 48 slaves in 1860). Both Horace and Stephen were descendants of a prominent New England family�their grandfather, Napthali Daggett, was a president of Yale College. Horace Daggett's other son, Henry Daggett, was a clerk in Cincinnati, Ohio at the outbreak of the war and joined enlisted in the Sixth Ohio Regt., Vol., Co. A., Capt. Wescot. Henry died of typhoid fever in Mississippi in late 1862. Stephen Daggett wrote Col. Hugh R. Miller, then in command of the 42nd Mississippi Regiment, requesting him to use his influence to get Fred a furlough to see his parents, who were "extremely anxious to see him and I suppose more so since they have heard of his brother's death." Fred Daggett participated in the Battles of First Manassas in 1861, Seven Pines, Gaines Farm, Malvern Hill, Second Manassas, South Mountain and Sharpsburg in 1862. He was promoted to Third Sergeant on December 1, 1862 and to Second Sergeant in the spring of 1863. In the first day of the Gettysburg battle, he was captured at the railroad cut and taken to Fort Delaware. He remained a prisoner of war there until June 11, 1865, when he was released. According to an article in XIX Confederate Veteran 438, after returning home, Daggett moved to West Point, Mississippi and married Bettie Shearer April 29, 1869. He died June 20, 1911.
      Dean Burchfield
      [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
      Cleburnes
      Hard Case Boys
      Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
      Napoléon Bonaparte
      A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Working...
      X